PDA

View Full Version : NH in June

JimSproul
10-27-2004, 18:08
I am considering trying to hike the AT in New Hampshire during the first couple weeks in June. The AMC huts are open by then. The weather on Mt Washinton is about the same in June & July.

Has anybody hiked the AT in New Hampshire during June?

Any special problems?

Thanks in advance

The Solemates
10-27-2004, 18:16
You should have great weather. We hiked through NH approx May 25-June 10 during our thru-hike this year. It was awesome. Day temps around 60. Night temps around 40. Windy most days. Perfect hiking weather.

Moose2001
10-27-2004, 18:26
All depends on the year. You could have glorious days with warm temps and cool nights. Or you could be battling cold temps and snow. You just never know in June. Oh....and don't forget the black flies!!! They should be out and hungry by then. But you know what they say....any day on the trail is a good day!!!

chris
10-27-2004, 18:36
In early June 2001 I was hiking in the Mount Washington and Mounts Madison/Adams area. ****e weather for the most part, but only a little snow around Lake of the Clouds. Not too many hikers out, but that might be because of the weather. I stayed in the refuse room at Lake of the Clouds as I was competely whipped and I think it was the first full day the hut was in operation. Maybe June 1? Bugs down low were a bit of a pain. I hiked on some less traveled trails (can't remember, but came up Crawford path, then cut over at a hut onto a different trail that dropped down before climbing up the backside of Lake of the Clouds). Very little maintenance had been done and the hiking was hard. Some unbridged creeks that required some skill at boulder hopping. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I was so wiped out during the trip that I mostly remember only having enough strength not to cry, let alone read a map.

poison_ivy
10-27-2004, 19:19
Definitely bring the bug repellent... the black flies are horrible in June. Weatherwise, I really like hiking in the Whites at that time of year... warm days and cool nights, perfect for hiking! (Ok, really I like hiking in the Whites at any time of year... :) )

- Ivy

Askus3
10-27-2004, 21:37
The biggest plus for hiking in June is the length of day (16+ hours of daylight). This gives you time to enjoy or get some good mileage in if up to it. On the flipside, bugs are at their worst, streams are receding but still high from snow melt, especially at the beginning of the month. The huts are open so traffic on the trails is increasing.

steve hiker
10-28-2004, 01:15
You must be a member of the Red Cross, black fly division. Like to donate blood. :D