PDA

View Full Version : AT re-routed in Baxter State Park

TJ aka Teej
05-20-2010, 11:45
The re-route eliminates a dangerous and dusty .8 mile road walk and returns the AT to its original route between Daicey Pond and Katahdin Stream Campground. Just north of Daicey Pond the AT will now follow the newly reconstructed Grassy Pond trail. Hikers will have outstanding views of Katahdin and might spot an old metal AT diamond trail marker or two behind Grassy Pond before following and crossing Katahdin Stream on some extensive bog bridging. The re-route exits the woods directly across the tote road from Katahdin Stream Campground. As of 5/19 the white blazes along the tote road have been painted blue, and the Grassy Pond trail blue blazes have been painted white - the signage is in the works and should be up shortly.

peakbagger
05-20-2010, 11:47
Thats good news, I did the road walk last summer and I felt more exposure to danger on that stretch than doing the knifes edge earlier in the day ;). The tote road sure isnt built for walking!

jersey joe
05-20-2010, 12:14
Agreed, that is good news. The less road walks on the AT the better!

Mountain Wildman
05-20-2010, 12:23
Amen!!!
Thank you!!

Kerosene
05-20-2010, 14:08
I knew that if I waited long enough to hike this section they would revert back to the old trail! Of course, by then something else will have changed, but hopefully always for the better.