PDA

View Full Version : BB Bush Buddy DIY pattern?

tortoise1
05-21-2010, 07:17
To All. I am in search of a "BB" Bush buddy wood stove pattern and can not find anything. Pic, Tutorials, dimensions, anything would be helpful. I am down to my last few pieces of gear for my 2011 thru. I will not spend $100. + to try one out at home to find I don't like it. I'll make one. Thank you in advance.
Tortoise1.

JRiker
05-21-2010, 10:55
check here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=14765

tortoise1
05-22-2010, 13:33
Checked out that link. That was helpful. Thank you.
Tortoise.

JERMM
05-22-2010, 15:58
the instructions in the link and photos may look like a BB, but it has no where near the performance of the BB. I have a BB and I built one per the instructions in the link. IMO, the one in the link isn't worth the time it takes to build it. But, it was a fun project.

JRiker
05-22-2010, 16:32
i haven't built it, so i didn't know, but i remembered seeing those instructions once, so i posted them. i have built and still use this: http://www.imrisk.com/woodgas/coffeestove.htm

simple, effective. only difference is i used a can that had chicken in a can (12.5 ounce size) works well for my IMUSA mug setup. also works well for burning esbit or my small alcohol stove, or a tealight. basically a glorified pot holder you can burn handfuls of wood in. for the simple FBC i like to do, it works great.

tortoise1
05-23-2010, 07:32
Ok you two. I'm still listening. I printed out the design that JRiker had provided for me. It certainly looks simple enough. I have the shop, tools, implements, and ability to build whatever. With out the benefit of physically looking at one "BB", holding it in my hand and taking a true first; the instructions are not bad at all, but what is it that sets them apart? Is it construction, design, materials? I have plenty of projects on my list, and no desire to build multiple stoves, and prototypes at this time. Any more advice or instructions would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Tortoise

Oogie Boogie
12-16-2010, 20:17
I made a photo tutorial on building a wood gas stove.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=250711&id=695142918

Or you can buy one from me that has the bugs worked out, and will go head to head with any other wood gas stove out there. Not forced air wood forges, but wood gas. My stoves work better than the quart can designs because of better air/gas flow. Most quart can designs have been tested on flat surfaces. Watch the videos on youtube, and you'll see for yourself. I've field tested them, and they don't work well on uneven ground. Most of these wood gas stoves, like the Bush Buddy, are based on Hiram Cook's design.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thegreateststuff

My stoves are home made with hand tools on my living room floor of 100% recycled materials, even the carrying bag.

Now some words to the wise if you're going to make your own:

1. Only put holes in the outer can on one side so that you can regulate how much wind blows into the gas chamber, or it can blow your fire out, or out of control. Neither are good.

2. DO NOT USE JB WELD TO HOLD THE INNER CAN IN PLACE! This is especially the case with the quart can/progresso can method, because the JB weld melts, then your inner can falls out of place and the entire wood gas effect is lost. Press fitting the inner can into place alone isn't enough either. Use screws or bolts to hold the burn chamber in place. It limits your ability to put things between the inner and out stove walls, but the sacrifice is worth it if your stove doesn't fall apart, IMO. If you're really slick, you can get the inner can to stay in place without screws, but you have to cut your holes very precisely and fit the the inner can into the outer one without over expanding the top plate. I've done this on a few stoves, but if your life is relying on it, don't take chances, use the screws.

3. Don't bother using hardware cloth as a pot holder. It melts and crumbles when the stove gets up to good operating temperature. I use a modified cat food or tuna can. It puts your pot at the right height to take advantage of the gasification effect. Most of my stoves come with a pot stand included. With the pot stand in place, my stoves can hold 10-15 lbs of weight with ease. I haven't tried more because I figured that should be enough.

4. USE A WIND SCREEN. I made a screen out of four 12"x5" pieces of aluminum flashing, with the sharp edges bent in them punched two holes a side, and held the panels together with bent rings of coat hanger wire. I use a couple of small aluminum tent stakes to hold the wind screen in place during use. Drastically lowers the cook time, and sends some heat back at you while the stove is in use.

Hope this helps!

O