PDA

View Full Version : What are the Trail Monitors Noticing This Year?

Spokes
05-21-2010, 10:31
I know fellow WB's like Sasquatch meet a lot of thru-hikers every year so I was wondering........

What are the equipment trends you're seeing so far this year?

You know like the most popular trailrunners, boots, packs, unusual items, etc... or have you heard of any specific compliments or complaints about certain equipment brands?

http://mrg.bz/oBkzZi

Ender
05-21-2010, 11:05
I was in Harriman this past weekend, and every single backpack I saw except for two kids (probably aged 13-14) were Osprey Atmos backpacks. Seriously. Probably 30 backpacks seen, maybe more, and all but two were Atmos's.

Spokes
05-21-2010, 15:16
Wow! That's a lot of Osprey Atmos packs! They are comfortable.

TIDE-HSV
05-21-2010, 15:43
I was in Harriman this past weekend, and every single backpack I saw except for two kids (probably aged 13-14) were Osprey Atmos backpacks. Seriously. Probably 30 backpacks seen, maybe more, and all but two were Atmos's.

Well, so much for being extraordinary. My wife and I bought a couple of them three years ago at the annual REI sale in Nashville...

Mountain Wildman
05-21-2010, 16:13
I have looked through thousands of Trail Journal photos and Osprey is the pack I've seen the most and then Granite Gear, Don't know about this year.
I figured I would be different so I bought the Mystery Ranch Trance XXX for my Thru-Hike next year.

Flinx
05-21-2010, 16:25
Just want to comment how great a company Granite Gear is...a friend borrowed my Vapor Trail and ended up tearing a hole in it where the shoulder straps attach...he sent it to them to repair it...they sent back a brand new pack...What service! I'm sticking with them..got a nimbus ozone also.

sasquatch2014
05-21-2010, 23:09
I would say that Osprey is the most seen followed by Granite gear and then maybe the Golite. It will be interesting to see if or how this may change this year with many of the early starters getting a ton of snow and cold at the start of the hike and there for having to carry more weight for longer in their pack. All I know is that I can pack a full case, ok maybe a beer or two didn't make it all the way, along with a gallon ziplock bag of dog food and a half gallon of water along with other odds and ends (cellphone, Ipod, wallet, toilet paper, Matches, Headlamp) up to the shelter in my Camleback day pack.

Jeff
05-22-2010, 05:56
Funny how trends change so quicky. Couple of years ago ULA seemed to be the popular choice of backpacks among thruhikers. Last I heard Brian Frankel still owned the company and was providing excellent service.

The General
05-22-2010, 08:24
I have looked through thousands of Trail Journal photos and Osprey is the pack I've seen the most and then Granite Gear, Don't know about this year.
I figured I would be different so I bought the Mystery Ranch Trance XXX for my Thru-Hike next year.

Well Mountain Wildman I reckon it will not be the most popular pack on the trail next year mainly because they are pricey. But one thing is for sure you will reep the benefits of your investment as the Mystery Ranch packs are a great load carriers.

Mountain Wildman
05-22-2010, 14:29
Well Mountain Wildman I reckon it will not be the most popular pack on the trail next year mainly because they are pricey. But one thing is for sure you will reep the benefits of your investment as the Mystery Ranch packs are a great load carriers.

Thanks for the encouraging words General, I bought M.R. because I read so many reviews and comments that said just that and I don't mind paying extra as long as I get my moneys worth. And it is nice looking too.:)

Cool AT Breeze
05-22-2010, 15:45
Thanks for the encouraging words General, I bought M.R. because I read so many reviews and comments that said just that and I don't mind paying extra as long as I get my moneys worth. And it is nice looking too.:)
I can carry a 12 pack 4 steaks 4 baked potatoes and all my other gear in it and still be comfortable.

Mountain Wildman
05-22-2010, 15:48
I can carry a 12 pack 4 steaks 4 baked potatoes and all my other gear in it and still be comfortable.

Thanks a lot Cool AT Breeze,

Now I'm hungry!!! :( :)

Cool AT Breeze
05-22-2010, 15:50
Also mine has about 2000 miles on it and is still like new.

Mountain Wildman
05-22-2010, 15:52

Do you have the Trance XXX or the Deep Trance?

Heater
05-22-2010, 17:23

Hey Coolbreeze. Did you have input on the design of the XXX?

Blue Jay
05-22-2010, 18:22
Clearly the major trend this year at least on the actual Trail is fine high quality hats. Much of the Trail looks like a 40s and 50s black and white movie, Stetsons and Fedoras everywhere. In the past there was almost a solid uniform (and you know exactly what I mean). This year fashion is King, possibly that has led to the hiker Halloween on May 31st.

sasquatch2014
05-22-2010, 23:07
Clearly the major trend this year at least on the actual Trail is fine high quality hats. Much of the Trail looks like a 40s and 50s black and white movie, Stetsons and Fedoras everywhere. In the past there was almost a solid uniform (and you know exactly what I mean). This year fashion is King, possibly that has led to the hiker Halloween on May 31st.

Have not heard about the Halloween so please do tell.

East Coast Alex
05-23-2010, 15:49
The Ospreys are really heavy.... 3-plus, pushing 4 pounds. I wonder why so many find the weight trade off acceptable, given the prevailing lightweight gear trend.

I'm guessing the 'extra' weigh comes primarily from the "lightwire" frame which looks like a nifty system, but given that the packs are rated for only 35'ish pounds, I'm not sure the extra weight of that suspension system is justified, considering that 30 - 35 pounds is 'the norm.'

I was thinking about getting a pimped out version of the Mountain Laurel Designs, model Exodus, with full Dyneema X on the whole thing, instead of the mesh pockets..... but I may look into the Osprey Atmos.

The Atmos looks like a nice "beefey" and rugged pack, but I don't see on their website, where it lists the materials they use on that pack.

Another user mentioned some time back that his MLD was a P.O.S., but.... :-? [choices... choices.... I just wish more local stores carried all these wonderful choices in stock, so you could "try before you buy." It's all one big crap shoot. Trying it at your local store probably would not be all that useful, either... as problems tend not to really manifest until you've got 20 or 30 pounds on your back, and you've been walking for five hours.... then you start to notice all the little things you didn't notice before.

TIDE-HSV
05-23-2010, 22:57
The Ospreys are really heavy.... 3-plus, pushing 4 pounds. I wonder why so many find the weight trade off acceptable, given the prevailing lightweight gear trend.

I'm guessing the 'extra' weigh comes primarily from the "lightwire" frame which looks like a nifty system, but given that the packs are rated for only 35'ish pounds, I'm not sure the extra weight of that suspension system is justified, considering that 30 - 35 pounds is 'the norm.'

I was thinking about getting a pimped out version of the Mountain Laurel Designs, model Exodus, with full Dyneema X on the whole thing, instead of the mesh pockets..... but I may look into the Osprey Atmos.

The Atmos looks like a nice "beefey" and rugged pack, but I don't see on their website, where it lists the materials they use on that pack.

Another user mentioned some time back that his MLD was a P.O.S., but.... :-? [choices... choices.... I just wish more local stores carried all these wonderful choices in stock, so you could "try before you buy." It's all one big crap shoot. Trying it at your local store probably would not be all that useful, either... as problems tend not to really manifest until you've got 20 or 30 pounds on your back, and you've been walking for five hours.... then you start to notice all the little things you didn't notice before.

Before I went to the Atmos, I was using an old Kelty Serac external frame, 1972 model, which weighed something like 6.5 lbs. So the Atmos seemed light, by comparison, and it would carry all that I wanted to carry. ULA was backed up for months at the time...

Ender
05-24-2010, 09:29

The Osprey is actually a pound heavier than my old pack, 3lbs vs. 2lbs. And that extra pound is totally, totally worth it. The extra comfort gained, especially in temps over 60*, is fantastic. The air circulating across my back makes for a much more comfortable hiking experience.

I'd also say that, lightweight trends for the long distance backpacker tuned into the lightweight backpacking subculture, and lightweight trends for the average everyday backpacker, are two different things. Most people have never heard of ULA or Tarptent or Gossamer Gear (crying shame, that). For standard backpacking gear, Atmos's are pretty light.

But yeah, I was more than willing to add that pound back onto my back to gain that extra comfort. It's so nice not having a sweaty nylon sheet plastered to my back for 12 straight hours of hiking. :sun

One caveat though is that the wire frame doesn't fit everyone. I know a couple people that the frame digs into their hips, making the pack very uncomfortable. So try it out with weight in the store first.

KnittingMelissa
05-27-2010, 03:48
One caveat though is that the wire frame doesn't fit everyone. I know a couple people that the frame digs into their hips, making the pack very uncomfortable. So try it out with weight in the store first.

That I can attest to. It hugs and clings in weird, painful ways. The main issue I had was that the woman's pack was designed for a short, petite framed woman and the man's pack was designed for a much different body type than my own. Oh well, I just got a Kelty instead.

While the Kelty isn't very high tech, and it does weigh more (5.5 lbs, if I remember correctly), I trust it more. The frame is sturdy, and I like being able to separate my sleeping gear from the rest of my gear, and the bonus of side pouches. I need to be able to get at medication easily when I stop to eat (the pains of being lactose intolerant), and it's more convenient to stuff a first aid kit in a small side pouch than bury it in the main bag.

But I find the fact that hikers are wearing fedoras this year to be awesome. I have a plaid fedora that I'm going to be wearing during my thru next year, complete with knitting needle in the little tab so I don't lose the stupid thing. :banana

leaftye
05-27-2010, 04:21
Funny how trends change so quicky. Couple of years ago ULA seemed to be the popular choice of backpacks among thruhikers. Last I heard Brian Frankel still owned the company and was providing excellent service.

I think it still is on the PCT, followed by Granite Gear and then probably Golite and Osprey, respectively.

desertnomad
05-27-2010, 19:25

Brian actually sold the company a few months back to a older couple. I met them and they seem very nice. I hope they keep turning out the same quality of gear and I think they will. Time will tell.

chiefdaddy
05-01-2011, 18:57
I have camped with four hikers that all had golite pentacle packs and contrail tarp tents.. that makes five hikers in one random spot that all have almost the same gear and ideas. All had home made stoves, simple non water proof trail runners and all used bleach to treat water.

I go out to Harriman ever weekend guiding and cant wait til I see all the thrus this year.

Osprey packs were broken the most of any pack on both my thru hikes, my Jam pack lasted the whole AT and the Pentacle lasted the whole PCT last year.