PDA

View Full Version : Hotel/Lone Pine

wanchesebill
05-21-2010, 11:34
I'm looking for suggestions for a hiker friendly hotel in Lone Pine. I'm coming off the trail on 9/22 and need to catch a bus to the Reno airport early on 9/23. I was hoping for a place that will let me forward some stuff to them for the trip home. Also, maybe a suggestion for a good place to eat after 10 days on the trail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Desert Reprobate
05-21-2010, 11:44
Dow Villa Right downtown

garbanz
05-21-2010, 12:20
I hiked the JMT 2 years ago southbound and ended up finishing up 4 days earlier than my scheduled flight home out of Reno. So I thumbed from Whitney Portal into Lone Pine where I caught the bus to Bishop. Got a reasonably priced room there for the weekend (no buses to Reno over the weekend) at El Ranchito motel which was suggested by the bus driver. Jacks restaurant and Shats (German) Bakkery in Bishop are famous for good eats! Also visited the railroad museum 5 miles out of Bishop. Lots of good food in Bishop and several worthy outfitters---more to see and do than in Lone Pine. Hope this helps and happy trails.

wandering_bob
05-21-2010, 16:52
Whitney Portal Hostel
For reservations, call: 760-876-0030
The address is 238 S. Main Street, Lone Pine, CA

for photos and comments, see
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=51019&page=1#Post51019

and

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=74654&page=1#Post74654

I stayed at the Hostel last summer. I've also stayed at the Dow Villa. The latter is cushier, has a pool, and is directly across the street from the Pizza parlor; the former is a LOT cheaper - think Motel 6 -, has a guest laundry, and is closer to the good restaurants and the PO. They are only about 2 blocks apart on Main Street so let your wallet decide for you. The Hostel is at the traffic light where highway 395 (aka Main Street) intersects with the road to Whitney Portal and Horseshoe Meadows.

Lone Pine is one of the best town stops on the PCT and well worth a ZERO day there.

If you ultimately do the PCT later, Etna, CA is another must-do / must ZERO town stop, and is arguably the best on the entire PCT.

Kanook
02-01-2011, 20:49
I stayed at the Dow Villa in 2009. The cost was around $50 because I had a room with a shared bathroom.

The room was adequate, and had a TV and Sink. After being on the trail for a couple weeks I was happy enough to sleep in a bed. I would have payed more for the bathroom but none were available.

Jim Adams
02-01-2011, 23:32
Dow Villa was great to me in '07 when I had to get off the trail for a few days. Pool, hot tube, clean rooms and a GREAT restaurant with incredible food just up the street, about $25-$30 meal with a drink or two. Lone Pine was one of the nicest towns that I stopped at.

geek

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-02-2011, 00:52
Hiker-friendly: Mt. Whitney Hostel, but the others all host hikers, too. I've stayed at the Dow a lot, but only because of the pool. The Motel part of that place is better than the old building.

Hostel is $20ish a night (or $60 for a whole room), while the Dow is $100 for a room

Jim Adams
02-02-2011, 01:46
Hiker-friendly: Mt. Whitney Hostel, but the others all host hikers, too. I've stayed at the Dow a lot, but only because of the pool. The Motel part of that place is better than the old building.

Hostel is $20ish a night (or $60 for a whole room), while the Dow is $100 for a room
Price must have gone up. I paid $65 / night in 2007.

geek

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-04-2011, 11:29
Price must have gone up. I paid $65 / night in 2007.

geek

must have been a single in the old part of the hotel where you share a bathroom with others. Motel room with two beds is $100+ in July

The Weasel
02-04-2011, 11:58
There are private baths in a few rooms of the older section.

TW

Red Hat
02-04-2011, 17:09
I'm starting about 8/15 (depending upon permits). Good to see another Texan out there. I'm hiking with a group of friends from the AT.

Sly
02-04-2011, 18:14
The Timberline Motel looks closest to where you have to pick up the bus at Stratham Hall on Jackson St. Here's the map...

http://mapq.st/h1XCUL

Lyse
02-04-2011, 20:11
I stayed at the Dow Villa after JMT hike 2009. Good place, but they will not store things for you. We mailed items to the post office in Lone Pine and picked up there.

ncalcamper
03-25-2011, 21:57
Does Dow Villa have laundry facilities or is there something close by? Laundry is nice after coming off the trail!

Penguin
03-25-2011, 23:11
Mt. Whitney Hostel is one of the best I've ever stayed in, also I remember it was cheap, clean, and the staff was really nice. Right at the bottom of the Whitney Portal road too, so you won't have to look around for it.

@ Wandering Bob. Etna was cool. That CCTG place was an awesome donation based hostel. Nothing beats Mojave, Ca. though. Def my favorite trail town. Also the cheapest town I have ever been with. As an added bonus, I believe that they have a Thunderdome there :)

Helmuth.Fishmonger
03-28-2011, 23:49
Mt Whitney Hostel - sitting there right now enjoying the wifi all to myself :D

Helmuth.Fishmonger
03-28-2011, 23:51
Does Dow Villa have laundry facilities or is there something close by? Laundry is nice after coming off the trail!

there's a public laundromat one block from the Dow, or right across the street from the Mt. Whitney Hostel, with the Alabama Hills Cafe right next door where you can eat breakfast and lunch (they close 2pm). That's where the locals eat...

ncalcamper
03-29-2011, 22:06
there's a public laundromat one block from the Dow, or right across the street from the Mt. Whitney Hostel, with the Alabama Hills Cafe right next door where you can eat breakfast and lunch (they close 2pm). That's where the locals eat...

Thanks Helmuth for the laundromat info,

I'm very tempted by the Hostel, not sure if my trail mate will be interested. Appreciate the info.