PDA

View Full Version : Cookpot/skillet

David@whiteblaze
05-21-2010, 15:23
I need a good, cheap cookpot with at least 1 qt. water cap. and a frying pan setup, either a lid that is useable as a non-edged frying pan, or a fring pan that acts as a cover. I needs to NOT have a non-removeable handle as that won't go for cooking in windscreens/fire... I have a pot grips, so can anyone help me out?

Have a great Hike and all that...

Hikes with No-Sweat

David@whiteblaze
05-21-2010, 15:28
Oh yeah, I have a Budlyte SuperStove, so a 1 inch little handle on top of the cover is no biggie.

Connie
05-21-2010, 16:54
That works out to .9 L cooking pot and a REI titanium dinner plate sold separately.

4 US cups = 0.946352944 Liters

If you can go to .9 Liters, there are many backpacking "cooking pot" choices.

The 1.3 - 1.5 Liter backpacking cooking pots tend to be pricey.

However, the $6 Stanco "Grease Pot" Strainer at 1.5 quarts is inexpensive, lightweight and provides options of steaming poached eggs, for example. Add a "fire pan" sold separately for the Tri-ti Caldera Cone, or, a REI titanium plate and you have a frying pan for not much weight penalty at all.

Of course, a better frying pan has some thickness to the metal.

This particular 4 cup = 1 quart GSI cookware set (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/GSI1050) at $34.95 is reasonably priced.

I like the inexpensive frying pans, with the folding handles I see in camping sections of many stores. The non-stick deteriorates unless you pay for the heavier "hard-anodized" ones. If you look closely, maybe you could permanently remove the handle.

I have also seen people use the One Egg Pan seen in the grocery store "kitchen section".

I picked up a little 4-inch square griddle, with a short handle I thought I would remove, in the "kitchen section" of the grocery store.

If you don't mind the BPA's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTdZtNYC46s) included in the inside coating of a "Heineken Pot" that and the One Egg Pan may be a reasonably lightweight and compact answer.

David@whiteblaze
05-21-2010, 17:36
well, I'm sort of more of a gourmet (mac and cheese... etc) and I have tried the heiny pot, but I didn't really like it... the capacity is just around 3 cups + up to about 6... I really only want the frying pan for warming bagels in the morning... I have an ancient MSR set, but it has silicone on the handles... I may be able to take the handles of... I'll check into that...

Happy Hiking and all that...

-Hikes with No-Sweat

flemdawg1
05-26-2010, 10:37
A Snowpeak Trek 1300 has all you need for 7 oz. It does have handles though.

David@whiteblaze
05-26-2010, 13:41
well, I picked up a pot from rei (it weighs a pound, don't judge me...) and I'll be seeing what that's like tomorrow... If I don't like it, I'll return it and continue the search...