PDA

View Full Version : Hiking tent with a:rainfly, b:tarp, c:both?

shrimp
05-21-2010, 15:38
I am trying to decide which items I'd be best carrying when going on hiking trips. I prefer tent hiking, so no telling me to get a hammock or anything like that. (I do want to try it, but I can't afford to make the change right now) I have yet to be in a situation where I need to set up my tent in the rain, but I know it will happen sooner or later.

So, a: do I put up the tent and rainfly, letting a tiny bit of rain in while setting it up.
b: put up a tarp first and then the mesh part of the tent, leaving the rainfly at home.
c: tarp up, then tent, and finally rainfly. This would mean a bit of extra weight, but I'm more likely to have a dry sleeping area.

I am not sure if I really like increasing my pack weight, but I've tried to sleep while wet, and it was not a fun experience. (especially the cold I had for 2 weeks afterward) I had a MSR MicroZoid and decided to upgrade to a Clip 3 (the early 2000's model) for extra space, but it will still let water in if it's raining while setting it up.

M1 Thumb
05-21-2010, 16:10
Some people like putting out a cover tarp and then erecting the tent under it. You can then move the tent (with rainfly) elsewhere and then use the tarp as a cooking area or whatever else is needed.

You can also practice setting up your tent by first attaching the rainfly to the poles and then erecting the body of the tent under the rainfly. You can try and see if it works for you. You will still get some water but you can wipe it up with a towel.

beakerman
05-21-2010, 16:19
I'm pretty quick with my tent so unless it's a deluge I get just a little rain by putting up the fly first and build the tent inside it. I have also strung my fly out like a tarp and set up as I "normally" would. YMMV.

Some tents I have seen don't allow you to put the mesh up later...the cheaper tents have pole sleeves and the build it inside the fly technique will not work.

However I have made the change over to hammock/tarp and now I get no rain because my tarp is right on the outside of my pack (still use extrenal frame pack). It goes up first then I tie off the hammock. I'm not telling you to get a hammock just telling you what I do.

Wags
05-21-2010, 16:48
if i didn't hammock this is the route i would go. it solves your dilemna...

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php
big mambajamba in spinnaker

put that up first over top of this

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=127

you can downgrade the tarp if money is an issue

bulldog49
05-21-2010, 17:45
I am trying to decide which items I'd be best carrying when going on hiking trips. I prefer tent hiking, so no telling me to get a hammock or anything like that. (I do want to try it, but I can't afford to make the change right now) I have yet to be in a situation where I need to set up my tent in the rain, but I know it will happen sooner or later.

So, a: do I put up the tent and rainfly, letting a tiny bit of rain in while setting it up.
b: put up a tarp first and then the mesh part of the tent, leaving the rainfly at home.
c: tarp up, then tent, and finally rainfly. This would mean a bit of extra weight, but I'm more likely to have a dry sleeping area.

I am not sure if I really like increasing my pack weight, but I've tried to sleep while wet, and it was not a fun experience. (especially the cold I had for 2 weeks afterward) I had a MSR MicroZoid and decided to upgrade to a Clip 3 (the early 2000's model) for extra space, but it will still let water in if it's raining while setting it up.

A single wall tent eliminates the problem of setting up in the rain. And they are lighter.

STICK
05-21-2010, 18:51
If it's a money thing and you can't upgrade, you will just have to carry a little extra weight for a little while. If you want to stick with your tent, the best is to do what has already been suggested. Find the lightest tarp you can afford, and pitch the tarp, then set up your tent underneath it and move it out after, use the dry spot under the tarp for hanging out and cooking.

If you get crafty, you could also use the fly to set up as a tarp first, setup the tent underneath, then lower the fly over the tent. This of course would take more practice to get it right, but it would save n weight and money if you can make it work for you. Just store the fly on the outside of the pack so it is easily accessible. This may not block all the water from getting inside your tent either, but it's a start.

Good luck!

tammons
05-21-2010, 19:07
Cant afford a hammock setup ??

You can build a really comfortable lightweight hammock in about an hour
with straps from Harbor freight and $1.50 walmart ripstop for
about $20.

As far as a tarp, you can use a $7 blue tarp from Lowes.
Noisy but it works. A lot of surplus stuff out there too.
Sportsmans guide just sold out of a huge nylon tarp that was $20.

http://www.imrisk.com/index.htm

JRiker
05-21-2010, 19:07
I prefer the method of setting up a tarp, then my tent underneath, then move the tent. my tent is not freestanding, so i have to kind of rotate my tent out from underneath the tarp to utilize all of the tarp space.

first i set up my tarp in a half pyramid, then my mesh tent, then the fly on top of the tent. i then rotate the foot end of my tent out from underneath the tarp while holding it taut, and stake down the foot end and then staking out the vestibule. this leaves the opening to my tent underneath the tarp.

i like this method it gives me a tarp to hang out underneath instead of inside my one-man tent. sometimes if i'm worried about weight for a trip i leave the fly at home and just use the inner tent inside of the tarp, but i'm only a lightweight hiker, not ultralight, so usually the fly comes along.

of course, you might consider a bug bivy inside of a tarp, i'm still thinking of trying that out, just haven't made one yet, and i refuse to pay around $150 for some mesh with a bathtub floor.

Dogwood
05-22-2010, 17:44
I am trying to decide which items I'd be best carrying when going on hiking trips.

Aren't we all.

I prefer tent hiking, so no telling me to get a hammock or anything like that. (I do want to try it, but I can't afford to make the change right now) I have yet to be in a situation where I need to set up my tent in the rain, but I know it will happen sooner or later.

Yes, and better sooner than later. Like sooner, as in setting up your Sierra Designs Clip 3 in your backyard during a rain shower rather than later, as in when you are on the trail. If I recall correctly you are starting your hike in July. I'm sure it will rain in GA, or wherever you are, within the next 45 days. Go outside in trhe rain and practice erecting your tent. Try keeping the inside of your tent dry! That's the goal!

This is the approach most take, especially when on long hikes. With a two wall tent some tents allow you to set up the rainfly first and then erect the tent underneath the rainfly. But even if your tent doesn't have this ability you can sometimes attache the rainfly to the tent before you set up the whole shelter keeping the inside fairly dry or at least lay the rainfly over the mesh roof of the tent as you erect the tent minimizing how wet the inside of the tent gets and then making final adjustments to the rainfly after the tent is up.

I have some real reservations about this scenario. It seems, unless you use a BIG tarp, all you are doing is trading a rainfly that was designed to work with your tent to keep you dry, for a tarp. It could work if your tarp was large enough and was erected well enough. But, why try to reinvent the wheel?

This can work real well keeping the inside of your tent real dry. If you are also going to use the tarp to cook under, store gear, or hang out, etc it can make sense. But, if you are just hauling a tarp in addition to the rainfly to keep you dry it seems redundant. Learn to set up your shelter in the rain with the rainfly to minimize moisture inside your tent. After all, what are you the Wicked Witch of the West? You are not going to melt, are you?

I am not sure if I really like increasing my pack weight, but I've tried to sleep while wet, and it was not a fun experience. (especially the cold I had for 2 weeks afterward)

Well, I know of no hiker, especially a long distance hiker, who wants to purposefully increase pack wt but I know many hikers who want all manner of conveniences and comforts! But, you have to find the balance that you can live/hike with. Sometimes, that means prioritizing your hiking needs! And, again, as I said above, I think as you gain more practice setting up the Clip 3 in the rain you will better undertsand how to erect it while allowing minimal wetness on the inside of the tent.

Yes, I also agree. Sleeping totally soaked, and especially when wet and cold, is not an experience I try to regularly enjoy!

I had a MSR MicroZoid and decided to upgrade to a Clip 3 (the early 2000's model) for extra space, but it will still let water in if it's raining while setting it up.

Right here I see that you are already prioritizing. You were willing to "upgrade"(meaning you were willing to carry the heavier wt., but more spaceous SD Clip 3 rather than the lighter wt, but less spaceous MSR Microzoid.

IF, after your backyard practice in the rain, you are still in serious doubt about what to carry take the tarp, tent, and rainfly. Choose a light wt tarp. See how you feel after a few hundred miles about carrying something you are not using on a regular basis!

I'll let you in on something. Nearly everyone who embarks on a long hike, especially if it's your first long hike, makes some adjustments along the way. I welcome you to a world of change! It's part of the adaption process! Either you learn what you NEED and adapt or you go back home, very often with regrets, excuses, explanations, rationalizations, justifications, and complaints!

Happy hiking.