PDA

View Full Version : News to me

sasquatch2014
05-21-2010, 23:21
Well I found this really funny and thought I would share it with you. Tonight for the first time in a while I hiked up to the Telepone Pioneer Shelter to check things out. I am not the caretaker of this shelter and as far as I can tell from the maintainer for the section of trail that is in this area there is not a caretaker for it at is time. I had two friends who had completed a section over in NJ who said they had seen a number of thru hikers and so i figured best go up and make sure things are in in order.

I got up there after hiking in a bunch of beverages that may be hidden in the stream for later consumtion if needed. I met a few section hikers two who were only out for a few days and one who is hoping to do a flip flop. They asked as I hiked in with Hank if i was the caretaker Sasquatch. I told them yes indeed I was Sasquatch but was not the caretaker. Later as i sat at the table to write in the log I look at the cover and on it is written (in much better penmanship than mine) Caretakers Sasquatch and Hank, call if issues or in need of shuttle and resupply and my phone #.

I guess I am the caretaker until someone tells me otherwise or the change out the log.

Mountain Wildman
05-21-2010, 23:31
Sounds like you were drafted!! :eek::)

Tinker
05-21-2010, 23:40
That is TOO funny!
I might be responsible for some of the misinformation (I know you visit the shelter and clean up around it from time to time), so I assumed - logically but not correctly- that you were the caretaker - official or not - of the shelter.
Oh well! :D

Tinker
05-21-2010, 23:41
Btw: I didn't write on the cover of the register, since you obviously were able to read it.

Ox97GaMe
05-22-2010, 09:58
It is funny how things like that happen. I was 'caught' repairing some rock steps on top of Trey Mountain. A member of GATC saw me and asked if I were the maintainer of that section. When I told him I wasnt, he got my name and contact info. The next week, the maintainer responsible for the section gave me a call and said he was looking for a partner to assist with his section. That was 11 years ago. I have changed sections over the years (Springer, Blue Mtn, and now GSMNP). Once a maintainer, always a maintainer. :)

Old Hiker
05-22-2010, 10:28
The person who doesn't show up at the committee meetings is ALWAYS nominated for the job no one else wants, especially if that person wasn't notified of the meeting in advance. Usually, that person does a MUCH better job than anyone else, anyway!

Thanks for the volunteer work. Happy Maintaining! See you in 2012.

sasquatch2014
05-22-2010, 23:15
It is funny how things like that happen. I was 'caught' repairing some rock steps on top of Trey Mountain. A member of GATC saw me and asked if I were the maintainer of that section. When I told him I wasnt, he got my name and contact info. The next week, the maintainer responsible for the section gave me a call and said he was looking for a partner to assist with his section. That was 11 years ago. I have changed sections over the years (Springer, Blue Mtn, and now GSMNP). Once a maintainer, always a maintainer. :)

Yeah that was kind of how i got sucked into it. Now I changed sections and I see that my part will become less time consuming in the future once we finish only 1,400 more feet of this. In the meantime it means gallons of gas and hours of weed eating. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf3480_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40550&c=member&imageuser=13750)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf3488_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40680&c=member&imageuser=13750)

The person who doesn't show up at the committee meetings is ALWAYS nominated for the job no one else wants, especially if that person wasn't notified of the meeting in advance. Usually, that person does a MUCH better job than anyone else, anyway!

Thanks for the volunteer work. Happy Maintaining! See you in 2012.

While I already have a section of trail that I maintain only 3 miles from the shelter I spend most nights during the hiking season up at the shelter anyway so what the hell might as well be mine as well. Was up there tonight until about 10:00 often hike out in the dark.

tlap
05-22-2010, 23:30
Well, the new board walk is much appreciated. Thanks for all your work.

I was up there today and walked from 22 in to the shelter and back. It's a nice section of trail, with very diverse terrain.

Old Grouse
05-23-2010, 08:31
Does the handwriting on the register look like your wife's? Maybe she's no longer satisfied with just sending you to the basement.

sasquatch2014
05-26-2010, 09:27
Does the handwriting on the register look like your wife's? Maybe she's no longer satisfied with just sending you to the basement.
Well now that you mention it.....

GGS2
05-26-2010, 12:04
You lugged a jack-leg air drill in for that job? Whoa. Did you use it to drive the posts, or were you drilling post holes in mud? I'd be afraid that the drillers would settle in about as fast as the posts, if that stuff is like the muskeg we get up here.

Speaking of loose soil, I once camped on a reed mat that just about sank whenever I stepped onto it. Worked out well, in the end. Very comfy.

sasquatch2014
05-26-2010, 12:14
You lugged a jack-leg air drill in for that job? Whoa. Did you use it to drive the posts, or were you drilling post holes in mud? I'd be afraid that the drillers would settle in about as fast as the posts, if that stuff is like the muskeg we get up here.

Speaking of loose soil, I once camped on a reed mat that just about sank whenever I stepped onto it. Worked out well, in the end. Very comfy.

The drill head is hydraulic and is a low RPM high torque head. The first section that goes in has the auger portion and then you just keep adding on sections until you hit about 1,800 foot pounds. It has been averaging about 20-30 feet down before that happens.

bascomgrillmaster
05-27-2010, 23:16
Bascomgrillmaster here,
Just wanted to let you know that the RPHC project will be on July 9,10,11 this year.We have many project to complete.I will post more info later.
Go to our clubs web site for more detail now. Web site is timtrek.mikentim.com e mail [email protected]
Hope to see you there.
Thanks Tim RPHCV

bascomgrillmaster
05-27-2010, 23:21
Call Jim Haggat in Poughkeepie He is in charge of the Dutchess and Putum AT management. He can tell you who takes care of Telephone
Later Tim