PDA

View Full Version : first AT hike =), question...

kraash
05-22-2010, 15:34
ok so me and my bro are gunna start the AT. (about time to) We are starting in july and while ME and GA are about the same drive from us i think a Ga start looks like the better bet.
We will be on the trail for 3 days of hiking total and I was wondering what a good ending spot might be? We plan to start on the approach trail to springer.
Any help would be very helpful, thanks =)
:sun

Cool AT Breeze
05-22-2010, 15:38
Skip the approach, go up to Springer and hike to Neel Gap.

Mountain Wildman
05-22-2010, 15:39
ok so me and my bro are gunna start the AT. (about time to) We are starting in july and while ME and GA are about the same drive from us i think a Ga start looks like the better bet.
We will be on the trail for 3 days of hiking total and I was wondering what a good ending spot might be? We plan to start on the approach trail to springer.
Any help would be very helpful, thanks =)
:sun

:welcome
Hey Kraash,
Welcome to Whiteblaze, I really don't have an answer for you since I live way up North, You may get better responses from others.
I would venture to say that where you end your 3 day hike will depend on conditions you encounter as well as you and your Bro's hiking ability.
How many miles per day will determine ending points.
Happy Trails!!

kraash
05-22-2010, 16:04

well i was considering just that,, but i dont want to get to the end of this thing (20 years from now) and feel like i didnt do the whole thing. Dont all the hard core do the approach to?

max patch
05-22-2010, 16:16
With camping closed from Jarrad to Neels (the last closure lasted a month, don't know how long this one will last) a case could be made that AFSP (the approach trail) to Woody Gap would be a better hike than Springer to Neels.

Approach trail hasn't been a part of the AT for years so no need to worry about not doing "the whole thing" if you don't do it.

Jester2000
05-22-2010, 16:16
well i was considering just that,, but i dont want to get to the end of this thing (20 years from now) and feel like i didnt do the whole thing. Dont all the hard core do the approach to?

The approach isn't part of the AT. Don't worry about what other people do or don't do -- it's your hike. Personally, I'd skip the approach trail, unless there's some compelling reason to do it (such as, you're staying at Amicalola & don't have a car). But it's up to you.

Blissful
05-22-2010, 17:10
If you do hike to Neel Gap, look out for the bear problem from Woods Hole Shelter north.

kraash
05-22-2010, 17:52
With camping closed from Jarrad to Neels (the last closure lasted a month, don't know how long this one will last) a case could be made that AFSP (the approach trail) to Woody Gap would be a better hike than Springer to Neels.

Approach trail hasn't been a part of the AT for years so no need to worry about not doing "the whole thing" if you don't do it.

is there parking at woody? we plan to get a shuttle and end at the car.

kraash
05-22-2010, 17:53
If you do hike to Neel Gap, look out for the bear problem from Woods Hole Shelter north.

did the bears eat anyone :eek: is that after woody gap?

Hikes in Rain
05-23-2010, 10:41
is there parking at woody? we plan to get a shuttle and end at the car.

Fine parking at Woody Gap. Trash barrels and privy, if memory serves.

Lugnut
05-23-2010, 10:45
I wouldn't drive all the way from Detroit just to hike from Springer to Woody Gap. You can make it to Neel Gap easily in three days.

modiyooch
05-23-2010, 19:59
I would go to Maine and base out of Baxter State park. IMO, it would be more rewarding for the mileage and time.

Tin Man
05-23-2010, 20:25
doing 3 days on the trail all the way from michigan??? might want to consider taking more time or waiting until you can take more time.

Kirby
05-23-2010, 20:44
Skip the approach trail, waste of time, especially since you are only out for three days. You can get to Neel's Gap.

Knees
05-24-2010, 09:28
I'll be contrarian and say do the approach. I really like the approach trail. It now skips the jeep road and goes up under the falls-very cool. I always do it when I'm down in that area.

Depending on how strong you hike either hop off at Woody or Neel Gap.

Hope you have a good hike!

bigmac_in
05-24-2010, 09:45

I would agree with Cool Breeze on this one. You got your best advice on the first answer. It's all downhill from here. :D

Have fun.

max patch
05-24-2010, 10:07
The reason I and others have suggested Woody is because of the camping ban S of Neels. No overnites at Slaughter Creek or Woods Hole.

kraash
05-24-2010, 10:07
I wouldn't drive all the way from Detroit just to hike from Springer to Woody Gap. You can make it to Neel Gap easily in three days.

think we could blast out the approach to neels?

kraash
05-24-2010, 10:09
I would go to Maine and base out of Baxter State park. IMO, it would be more rewarding for the mileage and time.

maine would be a 7 hour longer drive from us. GA is an easy drive right down I75

kraash
05-24-2010, 10:10
doing 3 days on the trail all the way from michigan??? might want to consider taking more time or waiting until you can take more time.

i have been saying that for 3 years already.. if I keep waiting for more or better time ill be saying "man that would have been fun" from my nursing home bed.

GAJethro
05-24-2010, 10:17
Are you talking 3 days and 2 nights or are you talking 4 days and 3 nights?

Marta
05-24-2010, 16:35
think we could blast out the approach to neels?

Definitely. I've done it several times in both directions. (And I'm old enough to be your mother.)
Simple schedule:
Day 1: Approach Trail to Springer Shelter
Day 2: Springer to Gooch Mtn. Shelter
Day 3: Gooch Mtn. Shelter to Neels Gap

Or in reverse order. Bring a cell phone and some shuttlers' phone numbers and if you find you're not going to make the distance, call and arrange for pickup at an intermediate point. This time of year, though, you've got plenty of daylight so just keep walking and you'll get there.

kraash
05-24-2010, 20:55
Definitely. I've done it several times in both directions. (And I'm old enough to be your mother.)
Simple schedule:

Or in reverse order. Bring a cell phone and some shuttlers' phone numbers and if you find you're not going to make the distance, call and arrange for pickup at an intermediate point. This time of year, though, you've got plenty of daylight so just keep walking and you'll get there.

wow thanks marta, that sounds like a perfect plan for us =)

kraash
05-24-2010, 20:55
Are you talking 3 days and 2 nights or are you talking 4 days and 3 nights?

3 days 2 nights

phobos
05-25-2010, 05:50
Simple schedule:

I, too, am planning a 3 day 2 night hike and that seems like quite the plan. Thanks! :D

Marta
05-25-2010, 06:37
Hostels I recommend on either end are The Hiker Hostel on the southern end and the hostel at Mountain Crossings on the northern end. Either set of folks can fix you up with a shuttle and advice on parking, not to mention food, fuel, excess pack weight, etc.

Both the Springer Shelter and Gooch Mountain Shelter have separate tenting areas, good water sources, bear cables, and privies. The GATC does a wonderful job of trail and shelter maintenance. If the weather cooperates you should have a wonderful trip.

Good luck!

kraash
05-25-2010, 12:33
marta, have you ever done this hike in the first half of september? that might end up being when we do it...:D

Marta
05-25-2010, 18:01
marta, have you ever done this hike in the first half of september? that might end up being when we do it...:D

Yes, the first time I hiked it as a section was in September, 2004, in between hurricanes Frances and Ivan. I was hiking SOBO.

Days can be fairly hot in September (80's), but the nights should be reasonably cool. It's a nice time to hike.

phobos
05-25-2010, 21:50

haha wow, that is the same time I am planning on doing my 3/2 night trip. Maybe we'll see each other! i'll be with 2 others.

kraash
05-25-2010, 23:27
sweet, let me know if you find any good deals on shuttle and lodging =)

sbhikes
05-26-2010, 08:51
i have been saying that for 3 years already.. if I keep waiting for more or better time ill be saying "man that would have been fun" from my nursing home bed.

You have to make the time. Quit buying crap, pay off your bills, get rid of your expenses and then quit. You won't regret it.

kraash
05-26-2010, 09:51
You have to make the time. Quit buying crap, pay off your bills, get rid of your expenses and then quit. You won't regret it.

now theres some thinking I can get behind =)