PDA

View Full Version : AT near burlington vermont

county
05-22-2010, 17:22
actually planning to head up to burlington vm for a few days and feel obligated to get in an overnight or at the very least, some solid day hikes.
i'd like to stay on the at but if there's anything i have to see, well i have to see it.
let me know of some nice stretches. best

Migrating Bird
05-22-2010, 17:34
Camels Hump is a great hike not too far from Burlington on the Long trail.

Dogwood
05-22-2010, 17:52
You'll be closer to the Long Tr. than the AT.

Deadeye
05-23-2010, 07:05
If you're in good shape, Appalachian Gap to Jonesville on the LT (over Camel's Hump) is a tough one-nighter. Smuggler's Notch to Nebraska Notch is also a real nice, not so tough, overnight.

And if you tell people you're going to VM, they'll be lost... it's VT

Jack Tarlin
05-24-2010, 14:58
Was in Burlington yesterday and it's a wonderful town, but as others have said, it's not that close to the A.T.

Please consider the Long Trail.

Check out www.greenmountainclub.org for more info.

Dogwood
05-24-2010, 15:21
By all means get out to the LT or AT for a higher degree of solitude, wilderness, and hiking challenge, but in Burlington there is a decent walking/bicycling trail(I think it's partially on an old railroad grade)along some scenic wooded and lakeside parts of Lake Champlaigne. I've walked a good portion of it. For the budget minded traveler, there is at least one good campground adjacent to this trail.; it has showers. The hostel, maybe still listed in some hiker related books, had been closed in 2007 when I was last there. You might be able to find a spot at the YMCA/homeless shelter. I stayed there one night but didn't like the vibe. They will allow you to take a shower there though. Also, when in Burlington, know that it has several colleges/universities in town and nearby so it has that collegiate atmosphere especially in the downtown area where some of the streets have been turned into an outside pedestrian walkway with an abundance of cafes/bars/night clubs/restaurants.

county
06-01-2010, 12:26
thanks for the replies. ill have a place to stay in burlington so im not too concerned about hostels, showers, etc.
i do want to backpack, however. it sounds as though the LT is the way to go. i'd like to do anywhere from 10-15 a day for one or two days tops. does anyone know if there's a loop that would tie into the app. gap to jonesville trek? or a loop on the smugglers notch to nebraska? since im only gonna be there a few das i'd like to maximize my ground covered.
best

elizardph
06-10-2010, 15:25
If you wanted to do Mansfield you could start in Underhill, go up to Nebraska Notch, over to Mansfield and back down for a nice one nighter loop. If you did Camel's Hump ( around App gap and Jonesville, you would probably need a car drop set up, or a pick up at the other end).