PDA

View Full Version : Boynton Beach/West Palm

Luddite
05-22-2010, 19:39
Does anyone know the best part of the FT to hike near West Palm Beach? I'm bored and months away from my '11 thru-hike. Gotta get away from work and people for a while.

Also, how do you get water out there? I've read the Everglades park rangers recommend filtering, boiling, andchemically treating water before drinking it.

maicheneb
05-22-2010, 19:50
JW Corbett down Seminole Pratt & Whitney Road. The FT from there to Dupuis Reserve is nice if you like marshy hikes. As of 5/20, the trail is under about 4 in. of water and a bit overgrown due to the springtime explosion of life in Florida, but it is nice. As far as water is concerned, I have yet to be out on that particular length long enough to have to refill, so can't help you there.

Oh -- you could always hike the FT around Lake O. *snicker*

maicheneb
05-22-2010, 19:54
And though it is not near West Palm, my FAVORITE part of the FT is hands down the Juniper Springs area (Ocala Nat'l Forest). If you haven't experienced that and you have the time to make the trip -- DO IT! It should be gorgeous right now.

toegem
05-22-2010, 20:18
If you just looking to get away from Boyton for a weekend this is just north of Jupiter. There is water available from a ouple of wells but it does need to be treated.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/jonathandickinson/activities.cfm#14

DareN
05-22-2010, 21:02
Check out the Ocean to Lake (OTL) Trail. As maicheneb mentioned, it goes thru Corbett and Dupuis WMA's over to Jonathan Dickinson State Park. As for water treatment, all I have ever done in the Everglades and Big Cypress is use my Steripen. I want to get out for a night soon, but that's about it in this heat.

Luddite
05-23-2010, 20:08
Oh -- you could always hike the FT around Lake O. *snicker*
LOL you know i've lived in florida most of my life and still haven't seen that lake.

Thanks for the suggestions. The OTL sounds pretty nice.

I think I might just check out Jonathan Dickenson. I've heard its pretty nice there, although it is getting a bit warm in the sunshine state.