PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a tarp

Achron
05-23-2010, 01:21
Well, granted, my experience with tents is limited to an outfitter's Eureka that was made of heavier grade material than the retail ones, and a couple Swiss Gear tents from Sam's Club... but I am sick of carrying these heavy bags of fabric that turn into saunas in the summer.

My first and foremost concern, however, is how well does a tarp work in mountaintop snow storms? A little sauna action would be a good thing when you're trying to keep from freezing to death, or so I'd think.

I've been experimenting with a cheap 10x10 I got for 7 bucks at a hardware store in the back yard, and I've been pleased with just how configurable it is depending on the weather. The grommets are already starting to tear out, but this is really just for me to experiment with anyway. Had a helluva storm pass by a couple nights ago, set up the tarp beforehand, and when the worst of it had passed I went out with a headlamp to check out how well it had held up. The ground was soaked, but under the tarp it was dry as a bone. :D

The other issue is bugs. If I'm going to be a blood donor, I'd rather it not be to a parasite. A bivvy isn't a good option for me because I'm camping with my wife and the idea of us enclosed in separate bug proof coffins just doesn't sound appealing. I'm considering getting a UL bug tent and pitching it under the tarp and just bounce boxing it until we need it, but I'm curious what other solutions people have come up with.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisFol
05-23-2010, 01:28
I am a year-round tarp user.

Rain, wind, snow, hail etc is all about the pitch choice and site selection.

For bugs-- use a bivy, mosquito net or something more advanced like a bug canopy-- GG, MLD etc sell grea choices.

A great compromise would perhaps be either a Tarptent or Z-Packs Twin Tent.

A lot about tarpping has got to do with person's attitude-- bug donor, coffin etc-- perhaps the psychology of you is not prepared.

FWIW-- a big, cheap 8x10 silnylon tarp is a great beginnners piece.

ChrisFol
05-23-2010, 01:31
furthermore when do you plan to camp? You mention summer, but then you mention a snowstorm-- the two do not generally go hand-in-hand-- not evern here in Colorado.

This makes me question your needs.

Achron
05-23-2010, 01:35
thinking AT next year, starting in March. Likely to encounter lots of different types of weather and I'm trying to see if the tarp is a good fit year round or if I should be looking into a tent and just dealing with it in the summer.

ChrisFol
05-23-2010, 01:43
thinking AT next year, starting in March. Likely to encounter lots of different types of weather and I'm trying to see if the tarp is a good fit year round or if I should be looking into a tent and just dealing with it in the summer.

Don't know about the AT-- but I have done both the CT and CDT with a tarp and was just fine. For true winter conditions I switch to a DuoMid-- which is still pretty much a tarp for all intesive purposes.

Personally I would purchase a cheap 8x10 tarp for three seasons and see if you even enjoy tarping.

STICK
05-23-2010, 02:11
FWIW-- a big, cheap 8x10 silnylon tarp is a great beginnners piece.[/QUOTE]

This is what I have done. I just bought my first tarp about 2 months ago. I got an OES 8 x 10 flat sil tarp (not cat cut).

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/oes-8-x-10-flat-tarp/

I don't think it was / is cheap in terms of quality or price though. Compared to most tents at this quality, the tarp is less expensive though. So far I have set it up numerous times in my back yard, and have car camped with it once. From these times I have come to like it, but still have a long way to go before I will know if I will love it.

My suggestion (and remember, I am no expert) is to make sure you have enough tie outs on it. The lack of tie outs will limit your abilities to pitch the tarp in certain ways. I need another tie out in the center of my long side so I can pitch the half pyramid correctly. I would also like some tie outs on the top of the tarp to pull the tarp out to give me more room on the inside. I will probably add these myself, but I am still new to sewing so I will have to make sure I can do it correctly without messing the tarp up!.

Tarps really do have advantages, such as low weight, and small pack size. Also, once you get the pitches down, I can see how they would be very beneficial.

Good luck!

Snowleopard
05-23-2010, 09:28
For tarping with a March AT start, a bivy sack might be a good idea for additional warmth and keeping dry. A MYOG bivy wouldn't be too hard -- it's just sewing a water repellent (not waterproof) top to a waterproof bottom. For summer add some netting.

BlackUp
05-23-2010, 09:49
The moist/clammy feeling that a bivy gives you (even with "breathable" fabrics") is what turned me off to them. Love me some tarps tho.

As for bugs, you can attach noseeum netting to the side of your tarp like is shown here: http://www.tumtum.com/kayak/equipment/BugShelter_TarpAndNetting.jpg

3lb double wall tent is my solution.

Luddite
05-23-2010, 11:14
Claustrophobia is what turned me off to bivys.

There are tarptents with mosquito netting like this one http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48

Feral Bill
05-23-2010, 11:48
A few ideas
Nothing, even a tarp, will be cool if pitched in the sun.
If bugs are an issue, the weight of a small tent split between two might be worth it.
An 8x10 tarp for two might be less than ideal, but would be workable. I'd go a size up for a long trip.
You can have a great trip either way.

Achron
05-23-2010, 14:12
ok, thanks for the tips everyone, I really appreciate your input. I think I'm gonna drag this heavy cheapo tarp out onto some familiar trails and just see how well I like it. I think that's the most reasonable approach given what you've all said. Tarps might not be for us, but they're an appealing thought. I just really like the idea of the versatility of a flat tarp vs a tent, but that can also be a hassle. The more I read up on the various shelter ideas that can accommodate 2 people, the more I'm realizing that there really isn't a perfect method.

Jim Adams
05-23-2010, 14:21
I've been tarping for almost 25 years and have done 2 AT thrus with tarps. I would use a 10 x 10 or even a 12' x 12' for 2 people....lots of room, easier to keep weather out, still not heavy and as a beginner, easier to work with being square.
I used DEET for bug problems on both of my thrus and before worrying how many extra eyes or appendages that I've grown realize that I only had insects bad enough to use DEET 4 times...twice each thru. Been in lots of snow and a few hurricanes with tarps and staying warm and dry were not really issues as long a good site selection and proper set-up / configuration utilized.
As Feral Bill states, a tarp will be hot if pitched in the sun...leave a foot or so air space around the perimeter for airflow as long as the weather is hot and dry...a nice breeze under the tarp is great.

geek

Wags
05-25-2010, 01:12
OP, are you against a hammock? that's what i sleep in under mine. no worries with bugs

RollingStone
05-25-2010, 12:33
I love the simplicity and the versatility of a tarp. However, I'm a big guy with broad shoulders. Sleeping in colder weather or bug season in a bivvy doesn't work for me. So, if in bug season, I have a makeshift bug net I attach at several points underneath my tarp, and then fold under my Heat Sheets ground sheet. I sewed in the attachment points to custom fit the bug net.

In cold weather I tend to pitch the tarp with three sides to the ground which can cause an issue with condensation forming inside due to lack of airflow. But, by doing this I don't have to have a bivvy, and I dont have to carry a separate warmer quilt.

As you mentioned, there isn't any one right way. Tarps are all about personal preference and a great deal of experimentation.

brooklynkayak
05-26-2010, 21:42
Check out the Six Moon Designs Meteor bivy. I find it perfect under an 8X10 tarp. It is abut the most breathable bivy out there.
If you hang it high, the huge mesh allows enough air flow that it can be used in hot spring/bug season without getting too hot. It may not protect against the worst weather, but under a tarp is about perfect and blocks a lot of spray.

Many people have made their own. There are plans on the web site.

tammons
05-26-2010, 22:05
As far as a tarp in winter, a 10x12 tarp is big enough to go over a hammock, down to the ground on the sides, and flap doors at the end.

sbhikes
05-27-2010, 13:43
My first and foremost concern, however, is how well does a tarp work in mountaintop snow storms? A little sauna action would be a good thing when you're trying to keep from freezing to death, or so I'd think.

The other issue is bugs. If I'm going to be a blood donor, I'd rather it not be to a parasite. A bivvy isn't a good option for me because I'm camping with my wife and the idea of us enclosed in separate bug proof coffins just doesn't sound appealing. I'm considering getting a UL bug tent and pitching it under the tarp and just bounce boxing it until we need it, but I'm curious what other solutions people have come up with.

Thanks in advance.

For bugs I've used the A16 bug bivy. It's a popup thing with a wire in it that gives you space for your upper body. Not too good if you need to stick a foot out of your sleeping bag on a hot night. I'm going to sew my own bug net tent so I can have a bigger space.

I've never used a tarp in snow, but there are lots of pictures on the Internet of tarps in the snow. Apparently they are quite ideal in snow in some ways. I think an 8x10 is a good size, even for 2. I have never tried larger. It would seem like the fabric would get too stretchy the larger it got. I actually prefer a smaller poncho size. Not as stretchy.