PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest in a beginner sewing class

Rocket Jones
05-23-2010, 11:39
My daughter is a seamstress. I've suggested to her that a beginner level sewing class focusing on DIY hiking and camping gear might be something to try.

Covering things like sewing machine basics, basic sewing skills, various seams, working with silnylon. Maybe have everyone make a small stuff sack as the demo project. That sort of thing.

I'd think that getting the word out could be done by posting flyers at sewing stores, outfitters, sporting goods stores, etc.

If something like this were offered in your area, would you be interested?

Any comments, ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Wrangler88
05-23-2010, 14:55
I would definitely be interested. It's not something I'd want to drive too far for but if there was a class like that in the city where I lived, I'd be really interested. Depending on cost of the class.

Sounds like a good idea.

Rocketman
05-23-2010, 20:22
My daughter is a seamstress. I've suggested to her that a beginner level sewing class focusing on DIY hiking and camping gear might be something to try.

Covering things like sewing machine basics, basic sewing skills, various seams, working with silnylon. Maybe have everyone make a small stuff sack as the demo project. That sort of thing.

I'd think that getting the word out could be done by posting flyers at sewing stores, outfitters, sporting goods stores, etc.

If something like this were offered in your area, would you be interested?

Any comments, ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Yes, the class is a good idea IF there is enough interest.

One way to help generate interest is to have pictures of quite a few examples of the great DIY gear that people have made. Sticking a few of these around with your flyers will open some more eyes than just the flyer text ever wood. People believe what they see.

Having examples of stuff that you and/or the seamstress have made will be great as well.

The best time for classes on tying lies is early winter and mid winter. A good time for giving presentations or talks on tying your own flies is a little earlier in the year. There could well be some similar timing awaiting your clever use in scheduling the class and any publicity about it.

So you have enough local hikers to support a Sierra Club chapter? Or some other hiking/backpacking club? Those would be great baseline organizations to aid in getting out the publicity to those with specific potential interest.

You might find that your local outfitter could be less than wildly interested as you are seeking to impact his customers for gear.

You might want to feature the many DIY projects available on the internet and information on how to track these down as one of the features of the class.

What will you do about having sewing machines available for the classes? Bring your own or have some in the classroom? What about the various materials and supplies needed? Will you have to have scissors available or cutting boards available? Will you supply precut materials for class projects and or "practice" sewing?

Will you have step by step instructions for some of the projects, as some people seem not to be able to function without them?

Can you find a sewing machine repair/resale outfit to aid in the supply of loaner machines, or outright purchase as part of the class?

Rocketman
05-23-2010, 20:26
Sticking a few of these around with your flyers will open some more eyes than just the flyer text ever would. People believe what they see.

The best time for classes on tying flies is early winter and mid winter.

It is hard to give a class on tying lies. Lies are real hard to tie down. :-)

Rocket Jones
05-26-2010, 17:58
LOL Thanks for the great suggestions.

My daughter works in a sewing store, so people attending would be encouraged to bring their own machine, but if they don't have one they would be provided.

She made a couple of silnylon stuff sacks to get a feel for the material. They came out very nice, she used double-fell seams throughout.

I've got a list. :D

sbhikes
05-27-2010, 14:02
In Jr. High our sewing class project was to make a book bag backpack. I used that backpack for the rest of my time at that school. Making a simple day pack would also be a good project.

I don't want to sew the ugly old-lady clothes that you get with a pattern. Sewing other useful things is actually more interesting, at least in my opinion. So I would find a class like that interesting, especially if there was other info like what do you call all those special fabrics and hardware and stuff that you need to make backpacking gear. I can't even order the right materials because I don't know what any of it is called.