PDA

View Full Version : Good 3 day hike - southern half of AT

jimmyfunk
05-23-2010, 12:03
I'm looking for a great 3 day hike somewhere along the southern half of the AT. My group has hiked Clingmans Dome to Fontana Dam the last 3 years and we're looking for something different. We've always gone back to that hike because of the convenience of available parking, shuttles, shower at the finish at Fontana etc... I'm not worried about a shower of course, but what are some other areas that have a spot for parking, have readily available shuttles, and offer the beauty that GSMNP and Fontana Dam have to offer?

kevin
05-23-2010, 15:32
I've sectioned from Springer thru Grayson Highlands over the last several years and my favorite 3 day stretch was Dennis Cove to Damascus (especially day one). Its 50.7 miles, you end in Damascus, and Mt. Rogers Outfitters lists it on there shuttle prices list so arranging a shuttle shouldn't be too bad. Also, the last day is relatively easy hiking so you can do a high mileage day into Damascus.

Blissful
05-23-2010, 20:01
I'd do north of Damascus right through Grayson Highlands. Very scenic and interesting

Red River Falls
05-23-2010, 20:49
My contribution is a hike from Dragon's Tooth to Daleville near Roanoke which includes McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. Short driving distances to Roanoke, although it's not a very long section...maybe 25-30 miles. A few spots with some good views. I don't know about the shuttle options. Parking available at either point.

Knees
05-24-2010, 00:58
There's always the Approach Trail (or Springer FS road) to Neal's Gap. Some great hiking and beautiful country. Easy shuttle options down that way too.