PDA

View Full Version : water sources?

Bear Cables
05-23-2010, 14:32
We will be hiking the AT section from Davenport Gap to Newfound Gap. I know there are springs at the shelters and I read of a couple of springs noted on the guide between Davenport and Cosby. Does anyone know specifically the location of other water sources along this route between shelter points. I would like to mark them on my map so I can determine how much water I need to carry each day. Really don't want to carry more than I need to.

Hikes in Rain
05-23-2010, 15:44
I never carried more than a liter through that section, and sometimes not even that. All the shelters have great springs. As you noted, there are a couple of others: Goyut Spring, for example is one of the highest springs, if not the highest, but it's so close to the "firehose" at Tri-Corner Knob Shelter that it's not worth bothering with.

I didn't check the springs between Cammerer (don't miss this, it's well worth the side trip!) and Davenport Gap Shelter, but they were well marked. If you're not staying at Peck's Corner, it's a long downhill hike to it (and back up!), but it's about the only source in that area. There's a seep near the junction of the trail down to it, but getting water from it could take a while.

Bear Cables
05-23-2010, 17:18
If you're not staying at Peck's Corner, it's a long downhill hike to it (and back up!), but it's about the only source in that area.

Are you talking about the water source for Peck's Corner?

Hikes in Rain
05-23-2010, 18:58
Yes, I was. The one downhill from the shelter. But there is a spring/seep just before the turnoff down to the shelter (heading north).

Bear Cables
05-23-2010, 20:05
Yes, I was. The one downhill from the shelter. But there is a spring/seep just before the turnoff down to the shelter (heading north).

Is it worth watering up at the spring/seep before the shelter?

Hikes in Rain
05-23-2010, 20:17
Not if you're going down to the shelter anyway. The source down there is great! It's further downhill from the shelter, and a little steep, but not bad. And it's piped, at about waist level, so all you have to do is hold your bottle under it. Much better, and easier, water. You'd have to dam up the little spring at the trail junction, and carefully dip a little bit at a time. Questionable at best.

It's a great shelter, too. I don't know what your itinerary is, but even though it's a bit off the trail, I'd stay there again. The distance works to your advantage, since it's usually not very crowded.

Off topic, but the privy there is....interesting. I forget the name of the trail you go down to get to the shelter, but the shelter is off a short spur of that trail. The privy is at the junction! And it's, well, open air. I could just see myself sitting there, waving at passers-by. (Actually, I got trapped in it by a passing rain squall.)

Bear Cables
05-24-2010, 00:43
Off topic, but the privy there is....interesting. I forget the name of the trail you go down to get to the shelter, but the shelter is off a short spur of that trail. The privy is at the junction! And it's, well, open air. I could just see myself sitting there, waving at passers-by. (Actually, I got trapped in it by a passing rain squall.)

Not worried about the open privy. When I hiked Philmont ,twice, I was one woman with 10 teen boys and male leaders and ALL the privy ,or bomadeirs, as they called them were out in the open. One deals with what one must deal with :) One morning while sitting I looked up and was staring into the eyes of a beautiful deer!

Hikes in Rain
05-24-2010, 06:23
The privy does, at least, have a bit of a privacy door. Not much, but....

That's a beautiful, remote section of the park. With fewer connecting trails, it's not utilized as much as the southern section. You're going to love it (except for that unrelenting climb out of Davenport Gap!) I found water easier to get in that section, too.