PDA

View Full Version : Camping question for Acadia National Park

Red River Falls
05-23-2010, 20:16
I am wondering whether to reserve at Blackwoods or Seawall campground. Maybe there is almost no difference, but I have never been there. Looking to do some hiking during the day and get some video and pictures. Which campground do you prefer and why? Would prefer a bit of openness and scenery while sitting at camp, not a closed in the woods feel but it is not a huge deal. Won't be lounging around the site day and night. I expect to be there for three nights.

fehchet
05-23-2010, 20:29
Blackwoods is on the east side of Mount Desert Island and close to many trails. Seawall you will have to do some driving to get to most trail heads.

Red River Falls
05-23-2010, 20:41
Okay, thanks. That certainly makes a difference.

chiefiepoo
05-23-2010, 23:55
I am wondering whether to reserve at Blackwoods or Seawall campground. Maybe there is almost no difference, but I have never been there. Looking to do some hiking during the day and get some video and pictures. Which campground do you prefer and why? Would prefer a bit of openness and scenery while sitting at camp, not a closed in the woods feel but it is not a huge deal. Won't be lounging around the site day and night. I expect to be there for three nights.
I can speak to Blackwoods, and yes it has many desirable features. It is served regularly by shuttle bus that runs the loop road from Bar Harbor. The shuttle system (free) has many routes to take the hiker to just about any trail head. BW is located near the loop road and it a 5 min walk from the coastal rocks view point. BW has a trail starting in the campground that will take you up MT Deseret. I hiked south to north, enjoyed ice cream at the summit gift shop and climbed down the north trail to catch the last shuttle back to BW.
Acadia is a perfect park to visit without a car. As a solo traveler, I flew to Boston, then train to southern Maine for family visit, train to Portland, bus to Bangor and shuttle van to Bar Harbor. All means of transport are co located and time coordinated so little wait time. For a single person, it is cheaper and quicker then a 3 day drive from FL. On a clear night, catch the ranger led star gazing at Sand beach. Rent a bicycle in Bar Harbor (all shuttles have racks) and expand your range with a ride along the loop road or the carriage trails.

rickb
05-24-2010, 06:23
Blackwoods is pleasant enough "in camp", but doesn't offer any scenery to speak of. More closed in woods.

A five or ten minute walk will put you on the rocks along the ocean, however. Not a bad place to eat a take-out lobster from the country store near the CG entrance.

T-Dubs
05-24-2010, 07:32
Seawall is low and somewhat swampy. We were there in late June and there were a lot of bugs.

Tinker
05-24-2010, 08:06
Seawall is low and somewhat swampy. We were there in late June and there were a lot of bugs.

Ditto. I stayed there after a Maine section in 2004.

Red River Falls
05-24-2010, 22:49
Reservation made at Blackwoods. Thanks for the feedback Another question...Where to park an extra car at or near the park since we can only have one car at the site. I am meeting someone at the park. Would like to avoid the extra $20 entry since we will be camping and paying for that.

mudhead
05-25-2010, 06:09
Are you talking about the week pass ($20) to enter the park?

No place safe near Blackwoods. Tourist season. Could park at the Trenton airport.

Call the park again. Or the C of C.

bigcranky
05-25-2010, 09:00
Interesting. We really liked Seawall, it was farther away from the crowds and close to the water. Even in mid-July we found plenty of open sites without a reservation. (That was true everywhere we went in Maine.) Anywhere you go in Acadia you'll need to drive, so take that into account.

Peaks
05-26-2010, 21:59
As I recall, car pass needed only for the portions of the park loop road. No car pass needed for NPS campgrounds (Blackwoods and Seawall) that are accessed off state highways.

There are plenty of trailheads accessible without going on Park Loop Road

mudhead
05-27-2010, 06:07
Permit required to park at trailhead on park property. Gotten kind of tight.