PDA

View Full Version : Abol Trail?

The Unknown Hiker
05-24-2010, 15:45
This time up Katahdin I'd like to climb via the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail. Can someone comment on how difficult it is to climb up the Abol rocks?

The Old Fhart
05-24-2010, 16:22
The last time I came down the Abol Trail I was passed by a Mennonite woman in a long dress. :o

There is a lot of loose rock (skree) but if you're careful it isn't that bad.

Shutterbug
05-24-2010, 17:37
This time up Katahdin I'd like to climb via the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail. Can someone comment on how difficult it is to climb up the Abol rocks?

I have not personally hiked it, but the last time I was at the peak there were some hikers who came up the Abol Trail. They said that it was faster than the Hunt Trail.

squeeze
05-24-2010, 18:12
Here's a good link for the Abol Trail. http://www.charleybradley.com/my-snaps/20042008/2008/images/jul/katahdin-08c.html

Migrating Bird
05-24-2010, 18:59
Nice link, great pic's but climbing in Cotton Tee & Blue Jeans is asking for trouble even in July!

wcgornto
05-24-2010, 19:11
I have not personally hiked it, but the last time I was at the peak there were some hikers who came up the Abol Trail. They said that it was faster than the Hunt Trail.

True. It's shorter than the Hunt trail, and I think easier too. I went up Abol last year and down Hunt. There were bigger scrambles, tighter squeezes and hand holds / ladders on the Hunt trail that aren't on the Abol trail.

Blissful
05-24-2010, 19:12
Interesting to see what the trail entails. This is the way we want to go - up the Abol and down Hunt. But I know we will need a ride from the ranger station at KS that am (July 1) to the trailhead. I don't plan to road walk before that climb. Gotta save my feet

mudhead
05-25-2010, 06:12
It is a pretty walk. Only 2 miles. Could always stick out the thumb.

peakbagger
05-25-2010, 07:23
The road walk to me is the most dangerous part of the trip. The road is very narrow with no shoulders and on a dry day is real dusty when a car goes by.

mudhead
05-25-2010, 12:21
The road walk to me is the most dangerous part of the trip. The road is very narrow with no shoulders and on a dry day is real dusty when a car goes by.

I would agree with this 100%. I have only walked on the tote road after the morning rush hour, and when the road was damp. I don't even like driving this road when it is dry, it is that dusty.

DavidNH
05-25-2010, 12:27

Many folks go up the Abol trail. It is a direct route that goes roughly staight up a rock slide on Katahdin. If it is raining, or if it has recently rained and the rocks are wet, I would avoid this trail at ALL COSTS. but when rocks are dry i suspect it is very doable though it's not a trail I'd like to do.

David