PDA

View Full Version : Need shuttle support on MST

modiyooch
05-25-2010, 07:39
I need 1 or 2 shuttle supports on BRP in the Balsam, Pisgah, Asheville area.
Because of the long stretches of the trail on the BRP with no legal camping, I am bringing my car and supporting a hiker. I then need to park my car for the sections that I am able to backpack. Safe parking and shuttle info would greatly be appreciated.

Tennessee Viking
05-25-2010, 12:49
Check with Pisgah Inn for parking and shuttles.

The BRP has a very narrow corridor from the Smokies to Asheville being that it is border by the Nantalhalas and Pisgah Forests on either side. Surprisingly there are some legal campsites, you just need to know where the Parkway boundary is.

There are legal campsites going up Art Loeb and Black Balsam Road. At Graveyard Field, there are a couple legal sites on the northside of Yellowstone Prong. Then the MST from Pisgah Inn to Folk Art Center is very little in camping. But as long as you are on Forest Service property, you are good.

Check with Taba. He just published a guide for the MST.

Puppy
05-25-2010, 14:03
I was just hiking there where the MST comes right near 276 in Pisgah...I was going down a trail that connects up to 276.....anyway I saw a sign that said "camping" but it was off the side trail. Plus I saw a site or two where folks had camped - but that was where the MST trail dips into Pisgah forest - the BRParkway is not too far from it.

I know there is a group in Brevard that shuttles for the area trails - Art Loeb etc.....but they are somewhat pricey. If you put "Pisgah shuttles" into google they should pop up (I forgot their name, but they take people on hikes and rock climbing in the area)

Taba
05-27-2010, 12:14
When do you need them?