PDA

View Full Version : OneLeg's press release says he'll finish Nov.12th

SavageLlama
10-28-2004, 15:32
I saw this was posted on OneLeg's website. Seems like he really sped up - he was just entering Vermont southbound in October. That would mean he hiked over 15 miles/day with no rest days..

Scott Rogers, 36, of Washburn, Tn. will complete his hike of the Appalachian Trail on Friday, November 12, 2004 at Harpers Ferry, W.V. Upon completion, Rogers will become the first above-the-knee amputee to have ever hiked the entire distance of the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail boasts a length of 2,178 miles, and spans through 14 states.

Rogers, who began his hike in March, encountered a myriad of experiences while on the trail. Some of his experiences include being bitten by a rattlesnake (on his prosthetic leg), aiding in the rescue of 2 lost hikers, and being rescued from Mount Katahdin in Maine via U.S.Army Blackhawk helicopter. He's hiked through sweltering heat, bone-chilling cold, snow, sleet, and rain. He's seen able-bodied hikers abandon their dreams when the going got tough, and he's hiked through all 4 seasons. He's had to leave the trail and return home when complications arose, but always returned to the trail in order to pursue his goal. His perseverence has paid off.

Success hasn't come without cost, however. Rogers has tested the mechanical limits of his state-of-the-art prosthesis, an Ottobock C-Leg. He's gone through 4 of them since he started in March, and had to carry a solar charging system in order to recharge his battery-dependant leg while on the trail. Undoubtably, Rogers has walked more in 8 months on his prosthesis than most amputees will in a lifetime.

Along the way, Rogers provided encouragement to Lane Milliken, a 9 year old boy from Indian Mound, Tennessee. Lane had his right leg amputated at the knee on June 8th following 5 years of complications after being invovled in a lawn mower accident at age 3. Rogers' actions, both on and off the trail, exhibited to Lane that, in spite of physical limitations, goals are obtainable if you work hard enough.

When asked about what the hike meant to him, Rogers responded "My success isn't about finishing, although I am happy that I will finish. It's about having the courage to attempt the impossible." Rogers expects to hike into Harpers Ferry somewhere during the mid-afternoon hours, and welcomes any and all who wish to be there to congratulate him on finishing a hike with historical significance.

[email protected] (http://onelegwonder.com/ym/[email protected])
<!-- END TOC -->

warren doyle
10-29-2004, 15:19
I hope he changes the word 'entire' from his press release. To me that word connotes he has walked the entire trail, including from the summit of Katahdin to Abol Bridge Campground.

The Solemates
10-29-2004, 15:25
Give the man a break. He's got one leg and he hiked the AT.

A-Train
10-29-2004, 15:31
When I talked with Scott in Caratunk, he made no attempt to pretend he had hiked every mile. In fact he was pretty honest and forthcoming, telling me that southern Maine simply got too difficult for him.

He's a great guy, hes hiking the AT with one leg, and he's still out there, almost November now.

My hat's off to Scott, he's a fine representation of the goodness in the AT community

chris
10-29-2004, 15:31
And he is now famous and in the public eye. Great distinction. Especially being hauled off Katahdin.

warren doyle
10-29-2004, 15:59
Scott's got one leg and he spent three seasons hiking many sections of the AT.
Bill Irwin was blind and he hiked all of the trail.
Bob Barker had crutches and he hiked all of the trail.
Mike 'Gutless' had no stomach and he hiked all of the trail.

I'm sure the word 'entire' was a harmless mistake that will be corrected in future press releases concerning Scott's brave and distinctive journey.

SavageLlama
10-29-2004, 16:05
When I talked with Scott in Caratunk, he made no attempt to pretend he had hiked every mile. In fact he was pretty honest and forthcoming, telling me that southern Maine simply got too difficult for him.
That's cool he is being honest about it.

plh111
11-02-2004, 19:35
Scott has pretty much been skipping over most of the AT from Hanover, NH southbound. Very few people coming through the area has seen him. I'm sorry, he isn't even close to being a thru-hiker and he has been one of the most self-serving ones out there. I'm sure he said ENTIRE on purpose hoping the press would pick it up.

This is a guy who got a million dollar judgment in Georgia from an religious organization. He receives disability checks each month for himself and his six children. He gets totally free supplies, free bionic legs etc. But he still expects us to donate to him so he can continue.

Him setting up his own organization so he could receive tax-exempts donations to himself was the final straw. The other handicapped true thru-hikers didn't put out official press releases etc, ask for donations by setting themselves up as tax exempt.

Sorry, this guy is no hero. There are far better hikers most of whom we never hear of who are the true heroes and people whom I respect.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2004, 20:09
This is his latest entry. He's being honest.More than most that claim a thru-hike.
http://www.onelegwonder.com/page2.html

plh111
11-02-2004, 22:31
Honest, yes sort of. He seems upset that we aren't being 100% cheerleaders in his behalf. Any time he receives criticism, he seems to throw a temper tandrum and this is no exception. I wrote him an email a few months ago and basically he called me Satan and said to "stand behind him" and asked why a man who recieved a million dollar settlement from Minirith ministries would ask people for money for himself.

I remember when he went nuts about a media outlet that picked up parts of his diary without asking him first. After that, it seems all the media lost interest in his hike.

Again while I salute him trying to do the trail, I prefer to also salute those who either finish the trail or hike it under much harder circumstances without promoting themselves. The silent hikers, the ones that don't write diaries, etc.

Pencil Pusher
11-02-2004, 23:11
I think he should've given his detractors the finger and stuck with saying he hiked the AT.

SavageLlama
11-02-2004, 23:20
Wow, he skipped a lot. This is from One-Leg's journal:

"Contrary to what was stated in the last 'press release' drafted by my writer, my hike of the A.T. will be an incomplete one, at least in the tradtional sense. Going from south to north, I didn't hike the 2nd half of the smokies, dragons tooth in Virginia, the entire state of Vermont, the Mahoosuc Notch/Arm, or the section between Abol Bridge and Katahdin Stream Campground. With the exception of the Mahoosucs, if I fail to go back and fill in those incomplete sections between now and March 22 (which will be the anniversary date of my hike), then I will not be seeking recognition from the A.T.C."

squirrel bait
11-03-2004, 00:15
Well he sure picked the one of the best spots to miss. Dragons Tooth is beautiful but very hard in July. I 'm sure even harder in the winter. Maybe his wanderlust is now fulfilled and he will move on to another endeavor. It has been interesting reading his and others accounts but it hasn't helped me much. And lord knows in camping and hiking I can use all the help this wonderful site has given me.

One Leg
11-03-2004, 16:05
I cannot, legally, comment regarding what's been posted on this forum due to a signed confidentiality agreement that was part of an out of court settlement. All I can do is to point you to an article which states the truth of what happened back in 1994. http://www.ctlibrary.com/1222

What I went through back in 1994 was hell, and I will not relive it here on this forum. I've asked Rick(ATTroll) to step in and intervene, but so far, he's not.

I do not know who this Bill Darnell (Plh111) is, but suspect that he already knows that I cannot defend myself against these allegations due to the signed agrement.

Ask those who've spent time with me and my family along the trail what kind of father I am. Sgt.Rock, Baltimore Jack, Miss Janet, and many others from this forum have seen me, spent time with me, and can better give a non-biased judgement what they think.

One thing I can defend myself against is the false statement that 1) I am a millionaire, and 2) that I get over $4000 per month in disability. Anything beyond that, you'll have to come to your own conclusions.

Scott

Alligator
11-03-2004, 16:45
There are two posts to consider here, 1 and 14. The press release in 1 was written by "the Rogers camp" as stated on Scott's webpage. The "press release" in post 14 has an added sentence at the beginning, has the identical 1,2, and 5th paragraphs from press release post 1, and added allegations at the end.

plh111 has made two posts to date at whiteblaze, both regarding Scott.

In a case of that nature, one either pays out to reach a settlement, or receives payment to avoid trial, and it sounds like Scott received payment.

Sounds real fishy.

Savagellama, does that link looks like a credible source?:-? Do you actually believe that article, or post you posted it a bit hastily?

Alligator
11-03-2004, 16:49
Darn edit SL... or did you post it a bit hastily?

The Old Fhart
11-03-2004, 16:50
While I may not be a fan of how Scott Rogers chose to fund his hike, post #14 is absolutely appalling and doesn't belong here. Check http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/m&m/general.htm to find what Minirth is like.

At the beginning of the video, John Scott Rogers tells about listening to a Minirth Meier New Life Clinic radio program on his car radio on March 15, 1994. During the broadcast, Rogers stopped his car and called the Minirth Meier New Life Clinic because the program invited listeners to call in, and because the remarks made on the program had precipitated some personal concerns. Specifically he relates, the statement was made on the program that those who are abused as children grow up to be abusers. Rogers knew he had been abused as a child and, as a result of listening to the program, now wondered if that would turn him into an abuser. He called for information and prayer, but what followed was a nightmare for Scott Rogers and his family.

In the video, Rogers describes step by step from that one fateful phone call to allegations against him of child sexual abuse. During the phone call to the Clinic, Rogers expressed concern that had been prompted by the program, since he had suffered many severe beatings as a child. He told the woman from the Clinic that he did not ever want to do to his children what had been done to him. The woman from the Clinic proceeded to ask him his name, phone number, address, and if he carried health insurance. After he told her the name of his insurance carrier, she insisted that he immediately check himself into a Minirth Meier New Life in-hospital treatment program. When he expressed concern about the cost ($1,000 per day with a minimum stay of 14 days!), she told him his insurance would pay. He assured her that he had never abused his children, but when he resisted the idea of entering their in-hospital psychiatric treatment, she threatened to call the authorities and report him for child abuse!

The Clinic did report Scott Rogers to Georgia authorities, accusing Rogers of sexually abusing his three year-old son. After a more than two month ordeal, Scott Rogers was exonerated by the State of Georgia's Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS). DFCS spent hours of evaluation with him and his family, versus twenty minutes by phone with the Clinic. (Reported in the Sept/Oct PsychoHeresy Awareness Letter.) [This is not an isolated Minirth-Meier horror story.
And there is more.............
- The psychobabble coming from the Minirth-Meier Clinic's "Christian" call-in radio program would be humorous entertainment were it not so tragic in the havoc wrought in the lives of unsuspecting Christians. In a program aired on 12/10/91, Drs. Hemfelt and Meier spent over half of the one hour program in an analysis of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. They closely examined the character of Ebenezer Scrooge, determining that Scrooge was a suffering "codependent" who was miraculously cured in one night when the Ghost of Christmas Past visited Scrooge and showed him that he was "a discontent, a negaholic, addicted to money, and suffered from interpersonal relationship difficulties" (all of which were supposedly caused by the childhood trauma of Scrooge losing his mother at a tender age, his father then turning emotionally against him, rejecting him, and then shuttling him off to boarding schools, thereby effectively abandoning him rather than unconditionally accepting him).

Hemfelt warns listeners that Christians, unlike Scrooge, cannot expect to be cured or healed of codependency in a few hours one evening, but rather will need a "mechanism of recovery," such as the Minirth-Meier Clinic, where the staff tries to "duplicate the Scrooge Experience," which "sometimes takes five days at a care clinic, or a week or so in the hospital [at a cost of approximately $2000-$5000 per week!], or several weeks or months of committed outpatient counseling," where "the same kind of miraculous transformation can occur."

Note the important part of the above quote Scott Rogers was exonerated by the State of Georgia's Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS). DFCS spent hours of evaluation with him and his family, versus twenty minutes by phone with the Clinic. There is no reason for post #14 to be here other than to slander Scott.

smokymtnsteve
11-03-2004, 17:01
Charges are still pending against Rogers in Milledgeville, Georgia to a second person claiming he molested their son.[/font]

any addtional info?

One Leg
11-03-2004, 17:06
More info?
How about the following numbers:
(478)445-0900 Milledgeville Georgia Police Department
(478)453-4891 Baldwin County Sheriff's Department

I was born and raised in Milledgeville, and go back better than half a dozen times per year. In fact, I will be going back there on Thanksgiving & Christmas. Why would I return to a town where I was a "wanted man"?

Pencil Pusher
11-03-2004, 17:08
So SavageLama, why did you post this article? Sounds like you have a real personal dislike for Scott. I see this article as total bs. How the heck does some obscure news org from Argentina give a rat's ass about some obscure hiker here in the US? Even so much so as to make these claims? So then I'm wondering how you came across it a mere few hours later? Coincidence? Hopefully you used some toilet paper when you got done with this ****.

One Leg
11-03-2004, 17:09
And, on top of that, my wife is a former Special Education school teacher. She's had training to identify crap like this. Yet, we remain married after over 14 years, and in May of next year, she's giving birth to our 7th child. Ask yourselves if someone trained to spot the signs of child abuse, and the mother of the alledged victims, would continue to place her offspring in harm's way by staying with the potential abuser.

Like I said in my earlier post, come to your own conclusions.

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2004, 17:41
Note to plh111 and Savage Llama:

If you're going to write such inflammatory stuff about other hikers, I suggest that in future you put your real name on your posts. To do otherwise is pretty shabby. It doesn't take a lot of integrity, never mind balls, to slander someone here using a cute fake name.

I also note that plh111 just joined Whiteblaze a few days ago, and evidently did so just so he could join in this discussion; it seems evident that he was already a member here who decided to re-register under a fake name in order to trash-talk Scott anonymously. Again, pretty shabby.

In that he's certainly reading this, I'm going to ask him to come forward now and identify himself.

If he doesn't, then I suggest that the rest of us treat this thread with the contempt that it deserves. Questions about Scott's hike are appropriate here at Whiteblaze, and Scott has addressed them. Anonymous comments such as the ones that have recently appeared here are inappropriate to say the least, and they should be condemned.

People that wish to continue with this subject should wait until they have the opportunity to discuss the matter with Scott in person.

I, for one, would love to be there when they try it.

SGT Rock
11-03-2004, 17:44
Howdy all, I'm back from Mississippi for a while and just got off Clingman's Dome yesterday, the weather was windy and wet...

Anyway, sounds like hogwash. If Scott is a millionaire that has been getting $4000 a month for the last 9 years, he sure doesn't live like it at all. On the contary, he seems to sacrafice a lot to do what he is doing.

His family was very close and his kids were well mannered, intelligent, and seemed well adjusted enough for a family living on the road.

The Old Fhart's post seems to about sum up what must be going on here.

max patch
11-03-2004, 18:14
That is not a "legit" website. It is basically one step up from a message board - anybody can post to it. Well, except me. I tried to but couldn't figure it out. Anyone who reads Spanish -- I can't -- should be able to figure it out and print their own article. Its like a blog for the masses. Ignore it.

SavageLlama
11-03-2004, 18:37
I didn't write the article - I only posted a linke to it, which I removed. I'm definitely not looking to slander Scott. I've been following his hike since he started and saw the article. But it's obviously trash.

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2004, 18:58
If your purpose in sending along that choice bit of filth was NOT to slander Scott, then pray tell, what WERE you trying to do? Spread love and good cheer?

And whatever your intentions were re. slandering him, even if we take your comment at face value that you had no intention of doing this, well, the reality is that this is EXACTLY what you've managed to do.

And lastly, your belatedly reached conclusion that what you posted was "obviously trash"..... it's a pity that this didn't become obvious to you sooner, like before you shared it with us. It was certainly obvious to the rest of us that this was garbage.......what did YOU miss?

And if your last explanatory note was meant to be something of an apology to Scott, then I must say it falls a bit short.

The Old Fhart
11-03-2004, 19:04
All I can say about the person who posted the nasty article is that their apparent e-mail is (a name)@nycmail.com. Without the posted link I don't think that I could have found that site if I tried. Nice ploy to try to make garbage look like a genuine news story on the internet that you can quote.

Thanks go to Max Patch for posting a comment to the article on that site saying it is bogus.

plh111
11-03-2004, 19:08
Scott,

Everything I have said about you in this thread is true. God does mention about bearing false witness against thy neighbor. You need to start practicing this yourself. I had nothing to do with that article posted except someone may have taken informationt that I posted. I wrote you a few months ago and you called me "Satan" and said to "stand behind me". Sounds like you still have a lot of mental issues going when you think people are acting on behalf of Satan when they are critical of you.

But I was aware that the DA decided not to press child molestation charges against you because of lack of evidence. A second person came forward against you in Milledgeville also but again, lack of evidence.

But the truth is, Rogers is pretty well set for the rest of his life from the judgment he received. The fact he begs for money and uses bionic legs right and left while there is a huge waiting list for others to have them speaks volumes....... And yes, Rogers does not pay for the legs. And yes, Rogers is on Social Security disabilty which means he gets probably around $1000 a month and $500 a month for each of six kids.... give or take a few hundred. And yes Scott, Social Security gives your kids half of what you get (for each one of them) so you lied to me about that one. So Rogers got paid by the Government while hiking the trail, has a 500k house in Washburn, then asks people for more money.

I also notice in your press release you wrote yourself that you saw other hikers more healther than you quitting....but no mention of the dozens of senior citizens and others who complete their thru-hikes each year. Those are the true heroes of the trail. Not you.

max patch
11-03-2004, 19:29
I had nothing to do with that article posted except someone may have taken informationt that I posted

That article was posted last night at 10:49. Your first post here was 46 minutes later at 11:35. Coincidence?

Lilred
11-03-2004, 19:40
Plh111 you ought to be ashamed of yourself........ How do you sleep at night? I don't give a blue blaze how much money Scott does or doesn't have, how he did or did not get it, and what kind of house he lives in. You are what my mother would politely call a busybody.

Scott hiked the AT with one leg. That is an accomplishment that anyone can be proud of. He's been honest and above board about every bit of his hike and his personal life is just that, PERSONAL.

Scott, my hat's off to you. Congratulations on your hike and all that you have accomplished against the odds. You are an inspiration to me and I'm sure to many others who have followed your hike. I hope that boy you hiked for can look at his life now and not see walls, but see possibilities.

And Plh111, here's a few words of wisdom for you. Take heed,

"An ungodly man digs up evil, and it is on his lips like a burning fire" Proverbs 16:27.

"He who plots to do evil will be called a schemer. The devising of foolishness is sin, and the scoffer is an abomination to men." Proverbs 24:8-9

SGT Rock
11-03-2004, 20:56
Geez, why should it matter to anyone especially plh111 what Scott's personal life and his family life is like? Seems like someone has an ax to grind about something, so why not just be honest about whatever that is instead of dreaming up total myth in order to slander Scott.

I have been a friend of Scott and his family for a little while now. He was the very first person to talk to me at Ms Janet's, and he refused to let me help him out with stuff. He doesn't come here begging and telling his problems like some Sally Struthers beg fest on TV, so let me tell you what I KNOW.

1. He gets about $32 a head from SS per kid, and $605 for himself, total is about $765, no where near $4000 a month. $765 is not luxury. I don't know where you get $4000 from. If they had $4000 a month, they would live a lot better.

2. His house is not a $1,000,000 house, it is closer to a $50,000 house, and he has a mortgage on it to get his leg.

3. He has gone through a lot of legs because they warranty the things, which one would expect if your leg cost as much as a car. He doesn't buy a leg every month at 16K to keep him going.

4. His family is very close, his wife is terrific, and his kids totally support him. Not what you would expect from kids stuck with their child molesting father at all. I venture to say that if more families were as close as Oneleg's, then we would all have a better country.

5. His family is sacrificing hard to make this happen. The motor home is a junker that breaks down. He has gone through a couple of old worn out vans, and still he is keeping his house and morgage up while trying to do this.

Look, You never find him talking about the day to day headaches, but let me share a little. The living accommodations are not the best in the world. they stay at parks, live in tents, and when their family tent floods and they have to figure out how to pay for a night in a hotel because they don't have enough room in the vehicles to make it dry through the night. They have to stretch what little money they do have to buy gas and food while still taking care of the 6 children. I spent some time with them and I was totally amazed at what their day to day living was like. I tried to convince Scott that maybe there was other ways to do this, but it is his life and he is making it the best he can and his family wants to be there.

Anyway, if you read some of those other news items, not the South American Blog article, you will see that there is a $1M suit, but then it goes on later to say they were trying to reach a settlement instead of appealing, apparently they did. Otherwise he could hire a Sherpa and move up the trail on the Sherpa's back instead of killing himself trying to walk it.

If you don't like what he is doing, then ignore him and move on. If you are mad at him just because he ain't walked 333 miles, then just say that and move on. If you don' like him asking for donations, then say so, don't give him any, and move on. Making up stuff about him and his family, such attacks are just plain ugly and unneeded.

Enough preaching. I have had some freindly disagreements with Scott over things about what he is doing, but they are between us, not for a board. And they are FRIENDLY disagreements. Disagreement are not something that has to end in a 3rd grade name calling event. I still support Scott and his family as friends and hope to see him again after the hike is over. Scott, if anything I said is not 100% accurate, offends you, steps out of line for you in keeping things personal, or whatever, I am sorry and hope there are no hard feelings.

orangebug
11-03-2004, 21:07
... Disagreement are not something that has to end in a 3rd grade name calling event...
It just needed repeating and some focus.

I'd like to meet the person who is a millionaire who receives $4K per month from SSD. Maybe from a private disability insurance policy, but Social Security Disability is "needs based." I know as I have a millionaire disabled patient who can't get Medicare as they can't qualify for SSD until spending away their savings and estate.

The story is bogus from the git-go.

Bill...

Flash Hand
11-03-2004, 22:24
I don't apprecriate what people are trying to look inside Scott Roger's past life. There IS NO F$#K87G reason why this thread is going on.

As a member of whiteblaze, I presuade you, members of this whiteblaze to sign petition to get this thread removed. This is PERSONAL ATTACK which is VERY IRREVLEANT of this whiteblaze. We all want to know what hike Scott do, and how great experience for him to share with us, not digging deeper into his personal life. There is no business for us to know. He haven't or WASN'T convicted of any crime, so there is no reason why you guys want to slander him. Leave him alone and give him courage for his thru hike. He is great friend for everybody.

please get together and get this thread removed. This thread even doesnt qualify for off topic anyway. This is painful insult and slander to the whiteblaze member. Whiteblaze members are "family" and we are supposed to be here to support each other and give respect for one other.

Thank you

Flash Hand :jump

smokymtnsteve
11-03-2004, 23:58
It just needed repeating and some focus.

I'd like to meet the person who is a millionaire who receives $4K per month from SSD. Maybe from a private disability insurance policy, but Social Security Disability is "needs based." I know as I have a millionaire disabled patient who can't get Medicare as they can't qualify for SSD until spending away their savings and estate.

The story is bogus from the git-go.

Bill...

I'll beg to differ with ya Orangebug...Social Security disability is not 'needs based". Nor is there any spend down requirement to get medicare. there is are NO assets limit or income limits associated with SSD or Medicare part A or B. your disabled millionaire pt. will become part A and B medicare eligible 29 months after his/her disability determination date.

MedicineMan
11-04-2004, 00:43
Thought about you and a childhood friend I grew up with, he snapped his neck diving into a creek at age 18....been in a wheelchair since then.
We were doing a section in SNP and my heels started hurting around mile 7, by mile 10 I was whining, by mile 12 I started to feel sorry for myself. Then I thought of you and Bo. I've never heard either of you sniffling!
I'm off the trail for an extended time with surgery pending on my feet but because of people like you I am determined to return to the AT. Blow these piss-ants off.

lobster
11-04-2004, 01:10
Smoky,

You are very correct. Assets don't matter in SSD and Medicare.

attroll
11-04-2004, 01:44
Scott

wbdent I apologize for not stepping in sooner. But when I saw the first post last night I did not think it would come to something like this. I just got home from work less then 10 minutes ago. So I have not been home all day while users were writing these responses. If I had I would have jumped in sooner.

wbdent I don’t know much about these acquisitions and how much is truth or just crap. But if you really want to know you can do a search on the internet and find out more. There are a couple links as some have already posted.
http://www.ctlibrary.com/1222
http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/mmbf35.html

wbdent Just because someone wins a million dollar settlement does not mean they got a million dollars. I have met Scott personally and if he had a million dollars he sure did not show it. He would have had a better support vehicle than that thing he was driving. There are a lot of people who disagree how Scott did his hike with the funding and media and other things. I was one of them, but when it all comes down to it. This is a free country. He can do what he wants and if you don’t like it then you do not have to support him. He stated from the start and was very open with everything he was doing. He has never lied to anyone that I know of. I can not speak for Scott. But I can say this site was not designed to criticize others. We don’t mind some different opinions. When users sign on to this site just to slam an individual that will not be tolerated. I can do my homework and find out who this user is if I really need to and I will if this persists. But now that everyone has voiced their opinions I think that is all that needs to be said. We do not need to lose anymore users because of arguing and bickering. We are a hiking community. Lets all get along. I do not want to see this site turn into what the AT mailing list did.

wbdent I did not come on here to defend Scott but to stop the slander and the assumptions being made without knowing the whole story. I don’t even know the whole story. But to me it sounds like people have already made up their minds that Scott is the bad guy in all this. Maybe he is and maybe he isn’t. But you will have to make your own minds up on it from what you have read or go and find out more somewhere else. Because as of now this thread is closed.

wbdent I will say that I know that I am very impressed with what Scott has done. I don’t think I could have ever hike the miles he has done on the Appalachian Trail in one year with one leg. I don’t know how many other people could have done the same thing. Yes there are some that have done thru-hikes being blind, with crutches and other things and they did not have the media behind them. Scott has not come out and said he has done a complete thru-hike. So I hope that is enough for everyone now. If Scott had never had the media behind him, I wonder if we would be slamming him now.