PDA

View Full Version : Water Status Little Gap--Wind Gap

dperry
05-25-2010, 18:13
Hello, All,

The wife and I are going out on the trail between Little Gap and Wind Gap this weekend, and were wondering how the water sources in that stretch were doing. I'm a bit concerned because I see at the National River Forecast site that rain has been a bit below average in that area recently. I'm particularly concerned about Delps Spring, as that has a poor reputation anyway, but we are planning on camping there. If that's not good, we might need to make for Stempa's Spring instead.

dperry
05-26-2010, 11:30
bump bump bump

slugger
05-26-2010, 11:33
That's funny I'm doing that exact Hike June 5th and 6th.

If you could let me know when you get back I would appreciate it. :)

Strategic
05-27-2010, 18:54
dperry,

Since no one's gotten back to you, I'll give it my best advice for this section. I haven't been up there this year, but I sectioned it last year and found you just don't want to rely on Delp's Spring anymore. The sign for it on the AT has been removed by the maintainers, it's that unreliable. I wouldn't even bother hiking down to it.

I'd say go on to Stempa's Spring. There are some very nice campsites on the AT near the blue blaze down to the spring. A warning though, the spring really is .6 miles down and you'd really rather not carry your pack a fair bit of the way. I't actually a very good trail (thanks to the Mechanical Man for whom the spring is named) but you just have to go down the ridge in that part of PA to find water. It's an excellent spring, very reliable and a good piped flow (tastes good, too.)

Hope this helps where current reports are lacking. It looks like it's time to start another Pennsylvania Water Sources (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52656) thread for 2010. How about it Emerald? You did a fine job managing the last one.

slugger
06-04-2010, 00:14
dperry,

How was the water last weekend? I'm getting ready to head out Saturday for that same area.

emerald
06-04-2010, 14:06
Please post any information to 2010 Water sources in PA (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62515). Let's keep it all in one place please. I spent a lot of time last year linking posts to the main thread and don't have time to devote to it this year.