PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness after the 6th of june

paddler
05-25-2010, 20:16
anybody interested in going?

tnwolf51
05-26-2010, 07:40
were is the 100 mile wilderness? new to the AT here but will be on it around the 5th of june.

Tinker
05-26-2010, 08:48
North of Monson, Maine. It isn't a wilderness in the Western US sense of the word, but there are no towns right along the trail for resupply for 100 (actually I believe it's 103 miles) along the way. Food and supplies can be dropped at any of several dirt roads crossing the trail, but many folks (including myself in 2008) carry all their food for the section which usually takes 6-10 days to complete (I did it in 8).
It's a very nice section, but, strangely, there were more folks there than in the 100 miles that I hiked before I got to it.

Mountain Goat
05-26-2010, 14:26
Very nice section. There is Whitehouse Landing along this section, which you have the option of staying there. They have some supplies. I was on the 100 mile this month, some of the trail maintainers haven't made it to there sections yet, so blow downs are covering some parts of the trail especially from Hurd Brook to Rainbow Stream Lean-to. Those two shelters where trashed when I passed through. I packed out what I could but there was a ton of trash at Hurd Brook. Also, an Osprey has made a nest on the trail between Wadliegh stream and Antlers. I believe it was a mile before I hit Antlers, thing nearly took my head off. Beautiful bird though.

TEXMAN
05-26-2010, 22:17
Paddler,
I am coming up to Bangor area (from Texas) on first weekend in June and I need to complete the 100 mile section. I was planning on getting a shuttle from Monson to Abol bridge but if we can hike together and leave a car at each end that would be great ..
PM me if interested..
O.M. River ( Texman on White blaze)
Completed 1200 miles last year and would like to get more done this year...
see trailjournals.com for my journal (O.M. River)