PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in GSMNP in May / June

CCC
05-25-2010, 22:15
Are bugs an issue this time of year in GSMNP? Planning to hike this section of the AT in the next week or so. . . Thanks for any info!

bflorac
05-25-2010, 23:37
Hiked park last year and had no bug problems to speak of. Only occasionally festered by those gnat like things that can bit once in a while when you are sitting still. I did not break out my bug juice the entire trip.

tnwolf51
05-26-2010, 07:20
good to know about the bugs ill be up that way some time late june starting out the week of june 5th from franklin.

ken209
05-26-2010, 14:28
Are bugs an issue this time of year in GSMNP? Planning to hike this section of the AT in the next week or so. . . Thanks for any info!
Stay away from horse camps & you should be ok.

EasternBox
06-09-2010, 11:06
Ditto Ken. I hiked around May/June last year and was fine until I stayed at a shared horse/hiker campground.

jorhawle
06-09-2010, 20:36
I hiked that section in both July and September and only bugs I had problems with were black flies. Did run into a nasty Yellowjacket nest ON the trail in September. Hate those little buggers.

modiyooch
06-09-2010, 22:45
no bugs last week

Sweetpea-NC
06-13-2010, 19:54
Back from a 4 day trip. Gnats and black flies were out in full force. Some bee's, but not too bad.

Ox97GaMe
06-13-2010, 20:38
A lot depends on the area you are hiking. You will find all kinds of insects in and around the park this time of year. Gnats tend to hang around near the balds and open view areas, just outside the direct sunlight area. Mosquitoes will be down along the creeks and especially around Fontana Lake where there is a lot of stagnant water. I have encountered all sorts of biting/stinging insects in the park in the summer. No-see-ums, chiggers, yellow jackets, mosquitoes, gnats, deer flies, ticks.

Anyone who has hiked in the park in summer and not been bothered by insects either hiked in the rain, or got REALLY lucky.