PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Gear List for you all!

desertnomad
05-25-2010, 23:07
Hi everyone

I want to thank everyone for their input on theses boards. There’s a ton of info on here and it is amazing!

I around 14 lbs and wanted to see where I can cut out a little here or there. I’ve not spent much hiking time on the East coast (done Katahdin, C&O canal, Shenandoah, pieces in Pennsylvania, and a winter trip in the whites is all).

My wife will be coming and carrying the water treatment. I included batteries in the weights of the electronics. I did include some items that are consumables (TP, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, etc).

This is not FSO. Thanks in advance for all responses.

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus (w/ pad, stay) – 24.6 oz
Integral Designs Pack Cover – 3.2 oz
Gossamer Gear Squall Classic (seam sealed) – 22 oz
Squall Rear Pole – 3 oz
4 Stakes – 1.4 oz
Polypro groundsheet (I think I will need this for protection for the neoair) – 3.2 oz

MB UL SS #2 – 28 oz
Neoair – 14.4 oz
Pad Repair kit – 0.6 oz
Cocoon bag liner – 4.4 oz
Sea to summit UL Dry bag for sleeping bag – 1.4 oz

Rab eVENT rain jacket – 13 oz
Sun cap – 1.8 oz
Buff – 1.4 oz
Liner Gloves – 2.4 oz
Outer gloves – 3.9 oz
Down Booties – 6.8 oz
Wool midweight – 10.6 oz
Thermal underwear (bottom) – 7 oz
MB Ex-Lite jacket – 6.8 oz
Socks pair #1 (hiking) – 1 oz
Socks pair #2 (hiking) - 1.2 oz
Socks Pair #3 (sleeping & cold weather hiking) – 2.6 oz
MB UL windpants – 3.2 oz
Sea to summit UL dry bag for clothes – 1.4 oz

Sea to summit spork – 0.2 oz
Big Sky Cozy - 1.2 oz
Critter Bag w/ liner – 4.2 oz
8 oz Fuel container – 1 oz
Evernew DX stove (does esbit, wood & alcohol)– 3.2 oz
Evernew 400 mL mug – 1.8 oz
Lighter – 0.6 oz
Emergency matches – 0.6 oz
Bag for stove, mug, lighter matches, spork – 0.4 oz
Platy 3L bladder (I tend to stay hydrated more w/ a bladder and I drink a lot) – 3.8 oz
Evernew 1.5 L backup bladder – 1.4 oz

Headlamp w/ emergency pilot light – 3.8 oz
Pack Towel – 1 oz
Trowel – 1.4 oz
Nail clippers – 0.6 oz
Toothbrush 0.8 oz
First aid kit – 8 oz (I suspect I will need to lighten this)
Hand sanitizer (for Hygiene & helps lighting esbit) – 1 oz
Floss – 0.2 oz
Toothpaste – 0.8 oz
Body glide (for Chafe) – 1 oz
Sunblock – 2.6 oz
TP in waterproof bag – 4.8 oz

2 GB MP3 Player x2 = 2.8 oz
Headphones – 0.4 oz
Camera – 5.6 oz
Stickpic – 0.4 oz
Journal – 3.4 oz
Pen – 0.1 oz
Empty Wallet – 0.4 oz
Bag for electronics/wallet – 0.8 oz

Blissful
05-25-2010, 23:16
When are you going? Unless it's winter, won't need down booties. imo. Or trowel.
I heard Neoair is not very good below 30 degree. If leaving early, probably need an insulating pad for it.

Map, guidebook pages
Knife? use scissors on it as clippers (I do anyway)

leaftye
05-25-2010, 23:41
Gossamer Gear Polycryo ground sheet will save you 1.7 ounces. I usually prefer using it because it's so tough and compacts very well.

I'd dump the liner and wear some of big bag of clothing while you sleep.

I don't normally wear gloves, even in the high 20's, but I wear convertible fleece glove/mitts when I do. I don't know how much they weigh, but I gotta think they weigh less than liners + outer gloves. They're very warm too. They're not waterproof, but I don't wear gloves when it rains anyway.

I'd keep the trowel, but that's because I've had ground that I couldn't imagine catholing in without my titanium trowel. Btw, the Montbell Ti trowel will save you about 0.2 ounces.

I gotta imagine that you're refilling your hand sanitizer everytime you resupply right? If so, maybe get your nail clipper there too. Either in your resupply or bounce box, or buy another one each time you buy groceries, depending on how you resupply.

You'll probably get rid of your sunscreen as you get darker. You can do a couple things to minimize the need for sunscreen too. Wear your hat all the time so you can get away without putting sunscreen on your face. Occasionally put your trekking poles away during the day so your hands get a little less sun. If you can't tan...well, nevermind.

Do you hike in long pants? I do and I'm cold blooded and I really never used any insulation on my legs except for when I made an effort to stay out late in camp. On days that I wasn't screwing around I never felt a desire to have insulation for my legs. I had BPL Cocoon pants and ended up putting them in my bounce box to wear while doing laundry and such on zero days.

Mountain Wildman
05-25-2010, 23:45
List looks pretty good, Where you are going makes a difference, Right now in the White Mountains it is 80 degrees at ground level, Don't know about elevations though.

Elder
05-26-2010, 08:30
I see the stic pic, got Trekking poles?
Highly reccommended.

sbhikes
05-26-2010, 08:44
You could shave some weight from the bags you are carrying for organizing. Use trash compactor bags. I'm still using the same bags I used on the PCT. Use a garbage bag for a pack cover and save a little weight there, too. You're right about the 8oz first aid kit, you'll want to go through that and take only what you need.

desertnomad
05-26-2010, 11:41
When are you going? Unless it's winter, won't need down booties. imo. Or trowel.
I heard Neoair is not very good below 30 degree. If leaving early, probably need an insulating pad for it.

Map, guidebook pages
Knife? use scissors on it as clippers (I do anyway)

Thanks for responding blissful. We'll be going NOBO starting in June from Harper's then SOBO from Harpers after that.

I think I'll take the trowel because we won't always be at shelters and sometimes nature calls when I'm not near a privy.

I've used the NeoAir down to 19 degrees ok so I am really only worried about the durability of it.

I did forget the guidebook. My wife and I will be spliting that up and sending sections in maildrops to ourselves. Thanks for the input

desertnomad
05-26-2010, 11:54
Gossamer Gear Polycryo ground sheet will save you 1.7 ounces. I usually prefer using it because it's so tough and compacts very well.

I'd dump the liner and wear some of big bag of clothing while you sleep.

I don't normally wear gloves, even in the high 20's, but I wear convertible fleece glove/mitts when I do. I don't know how much they weigh, but I gotta think they weigh less than liners + outer gloves. They're very warm too. They're not waterproof, but I don't wear gloves when it rains anyway.

I'd keep the trowel, but that's because I've had ground that I couldn't imagine catholing in without my titanium trowel. Btw, the Montbell Ti trowel will save you about 0.2 ounces.

I gotta imagine that you're refilling your hand sanitizer everytime you resupply right? If so, maybe get your nail clipper there too. Either in your resupply or bounce box, or buy another one each time you buy groceries, depending on how you resupply.

You'll probably get rid of your sunscreen as you get darker. You can do a couple things to minimize the need for sunscreen too. Wear your hat all the time so you can get away without putting sunscreen on your face. Occasionally put your trekking poles away during the day so your hands get a little less sun. If you can't tan...well, nevermind.

Do you hike in long pants? I do and I'm cold blooded and I really never used any insulation on my legs except for when I made an effort to stay out late in camp. On days that I wasn't screwing around I never felt a desire to have insulation for my legs. I had BPL Cocoon pants and ended up putting them in my bounce box to wear while doing laundry and such on zero days.

Thanks for the great feedback leaftye!

I mistyped and am using Gossamer Gear's groundsheet.

I think I will leave the liner behind as you suggest.

I was in a boating accident years ago and my right arm/hand has nerve damage. It's always cold so I wear gloves a lot. I have the liners when it's cool and the outer are just a waterproof shell when it rains. I will look into convertibles and see if there's something that will work.

The trowel I am using is the MB one. It may have just had some slight dirt on it the last time I weighed it.

Yup on the hand santizer resupply. Good idea.

My complexion is such that I am either pastey white or red so I can't skip on the sunscreen.

I hike in shorts but will use convertibles on the trip. I will ont start out with an insulation layer for my legs but will ship them to myself when we get into colder weather. Thanks for your ideas

desertnomad
05-26-2010, 11:56
I see the stic pic, got Trekking poles?
Highly reccommended.

Yes I am carrying BD poles but I always use them and hardly ever put them on my pack so I didn't count them

desertnomad
05-26-2010, 11:57
You could shave some weight from the bags you are carrying for organizing. Use trash compactor bags. I'm still using the same bags I used on the PCT. Use a garbage bag for a pack cover and save a little weight there, too. You're right about the 8oz first aid kit, you'll want to go through that and take only what you need.

Good ideas. Thanks sbhikes