PDA

View Full Version : Using old trail map and trail guide

moytoy
05-26-2010, 06:29
I am planning a trip in September starting at Springer and ending at Davenport Gap. I have a trail guide and maps that I used in 1993 for the same trip. All in good condition and still in original zip lock bag. It seems to me that this section of trail would not have changed enough for a new trail guide to be needed. Having said all this I probably don't even need a trail guide. I have been hinking most of this area since I was 10. My real question is how do you feel about using old maps and trail guides in general?

flemdawg1
05-26-2010, 09:37
Even if you use a map and guide just for emergencies, its worth the peice of mind to have the most recent one. Its only $20 for maps of that area and you can print the pages you need from the Online companion.

Trail relocations happen all the time. Road close, springs go dry, shelters are moved, and trail service providers go away. All good reasons to have the latest info.

Skyline
05-26-2010, 09:57
What flemdawg1 said.

There have been a number of changes in that stretch during the past 17 years. Relos, shelters moved, new ones built, and closures on-trail; myriad changes off-trail. Always go with the best info you can get.

Blissful
05-26-2010, 10:31
Just get new maps and download the sections you need of the current ALDHA guide. Old maps are a pain. I used on on the BRP when I realized five more miles had been added to the trail (making it a 16 mile day on my 2nd day out). That was NOT a happy day.

Panzer1
05-26-2010, 11:52
17 years is a long time for a map.

its way too long for a guide book.

Panzer

moytoy
05-26-2010, 15:24
OK, I capitulate. My wife thinks this supports her claim that I hold on to "stuff" to long. But she's wrong. Thanks for the input, I think!
I'll be ordering new guide.

Wise Old Owl
05-27-2010, 18:25
17 years is a long time for a map.

its way too long for a guide book.

Panzer

Most paper topo has not been updated since the 50's