PDA

View Full Version : AT/LT Temporary Relo

Cosmo
05-26-2010, 08:20
The bridge over Big Branch is being replaced this summer. An extensive temporary re-route has been posted:
https://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=203 (https://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=203)

Cosmo

Tinker
05-26-2010, 08:37
Thaks, Cosmo. I'll be hiking the LT this fall. I hope the bridge is finished by then.

Quoddy
05-27-2010, 08:31
Good to know. I've found that when reaching Big Branch I've always used it to wash off several days of grime. In most situations and in many locations it is possible to wade across, if necessary.

Yukon
05-27-2010, 16:04
I was reading about this in the latest Long Trail newsletter from the GMC. I'm hoping it's finished by the time we go through also...

GPK
05-28-2010, 09:48
Anyone know what the construction dates are? I did not see any mention of these.

Thanks - gpk

Tin Man
05-28-2010, 11:19
Good to know. I've found that when reaching Big Branch I've always used it to wash off several days of grime. In most situations and in many locations it is possible to wade across, if necessary.

If this is part of the AT, I have crossed it but I can't picture it at the moment. I can't imagine it is more difficult to ford than say the Kennebec, which some say isn't all that hard if you know where and when.

Jeff
05-28-2010, 11:40
PCT hikers would consider the dangers of fording Big Branch in Vermont laughable. Certainly after an extended rainy period it is indeed dangerous, but usually it is more rock hopping than fording.

Tin Man
05-28-2010, 13:41
PCT hikers would consider the dangers of fording Big Branch in Vermont laughable. Certainly after an extended rainy period it is indeed dangerous, but usually it is more rock hopping than fording.

that's what i was thinking

Cosmo
06-01-2010, 12:56
Construction begins "soon" through Sept 1st. It's being done by a Forest Service contractor. It's a wilderness area so it will be hand tools all the way. It would be neat to see them at work, but there is no easy detour near the bridge site. They really don't want to have to stop work every time there is a hiker wanting to cross.

If we have rain like last summer, fording will be particularly challenging--especially for AT hikers who have not had experience with wild rivers. The stream is not particularly wide, but has lots of big boulders creating deep holes and very fast currents. Even at low water times it's complicated, and you will get wet.

I'm sectioning the area this summer, and am disappointed I will miss being able to use the bridge.

Cosmo

Blue Jay
06-01-2010, 18:11
I'm sectioning the area this summer, and am disappointed I will miss being able to use the bridge.

Cosmo

I'm very glad to hear you'll be hiking this summer. For all your trail work you certainly deserve it. Have a great time and don't stop and clear water bars or pick up blow downs (I know you will).:D

Cosmo
06-02-2010, 07:44
Yes, it's getting pretty bad. I can't even get the paper w/o cleaning up the sidewalk on the way.

Cosmo

ZeroC
06-02-2010, 20:19
Aww man, probably isn't going to be finished for my LT through hiking in August. Guess i could hope for a dry spell in the days leading up to getting there.

Jeff
06-14-2010, 16:24
I hiked southbound to the former bridge site on June 13th. There was a construction crew of 3 working on a Sunday!!!

The shelter log at Big Branch Shelter indicates many AT and LT thruhikers are choosing to ford and forgoing the 3 mile detour. If you choose the detour you will miss Baker Peak....one of the best views in Vermont.

It had rained the previous day and it was definitely a "boots off" crossing. Glad I had my Crocs. The current was strong enough that I was happy to have a hiking partner who could help if I got into trouble. FYI...the mud is back in Vermont!!! :rolleyes:

Tinker
06-16-2010, 23:10
Good to see that they're working on it now. I'll be "thru" in Sept.

Berserker
06-18-2010, 21:19
Due to lots of rain in the days leading up to crossing Big Branch, and steady rain the day I was going to cross (6/12) I took the conservative approach. I had planned to try and ford it, but it rained steadily for several hours before I would have gotten to it. The road walk just down right sucks. It's about a 10 mile road walk I think (the signs say that it adds 3 miles to hiking the AT to the same junction point where the AT crosses 10), and it is comprised of the Old Job Trail (appears to be a 4WD road) and 2 nicely graded forest service roads (30 & 10). The walk really stinks in the rain, and Old Job Trail was a mess (lots of mud and water running down it).

pedxing
07-08-2010, 14:12
Thanks to all who provided info here. I'll be going southbound - figure I'll try to ford it unless there has been a recent downpour.

Jeff
07-08-2010, 14:41
It has been a rock hop for the last two weeks. Actually we need a little rain in Vermont. Had an AT thruhiker this week who told me he had been rained on while hiking only 5 days since Springer. Guess 2010 will be the "dry year".

Yukon
07-08-2010, 15:50
It has been a rock hop for the last two weeks. Actually we need a little rain in Vermont. Had an AT thruhiker this week who told me he had been rained on while hiking only 5 days since Springer. Guess 2010 will be the "dry year".

I've been worrying about this for awhile now, we need some rain for sure. I don't want to have serious problems finding water on the northern portion of the LT in late August/early September :(

GeneralLee10
07-08-2010, 17:42
3 miles my &$$ it's more like 6-8 miles long. I now I walked it just for the heck of it. Just walk across the dang river, I'm really curious as how the trail clubs do there mesurements.

pedxing
07-08-2010, 19:31
Actually, they aren't saying the re-route is 3 miles long. They are saying the re-route is 3 miles longer than than going on the LT.

Jeff
07-08-2010, 20:05
I've been worrying about this for awhile now, we need some rain for sure. I don't want to have serious problems finding water on the northern portion of the LT in late August/early September :(

As of July 8th NOBO's are reporting water sources in southern VT are fine...lots better than further south on the AT.

Dawn
07-14-2010, 17:38
We are planning to hike it SOBO starting this Saturday. I think we will likely plan to ford unless we have a lot of rain just before we get there. If we have heat anything like it has been, the water would feel good.

sharky
07-17-2010, 00:14
I will be coming through there on the 19th of September so I'm hoping the bridge is done by then. Is the GMC good about updating trail conditions? From the language I read it does sound like only a three mile easy detour, but apparently that is not the case?

Ironbelly
07-17-2010, 00:42
I will be coming through there on the 19th of September so I'm hoping the bridge is done by then. Is the GMC good about updating trail conditions? From the language I read it does sound like only a three mile easy detour, but apparently that is not the case?

Be advised, just so there is no misunderstanding. That it is 3 miles LONGER, not just 3 miles. It is 3 miles longer counting the normal distance that leg would have taken you. I don't have the data in front of me at the moment, but I think it brings it to like 8 miles or so.

double d
07-17-2010, 01:32
I just forded the river at the same location the bridge is being worked on and believe me it was no problem getting across (I crossed the weekend of the 4th, so that was two weeks ago). Just take your time, watch your step and use common sense-no problems.

modiyooch
07-26-2010, 07:54
It was hype for me. I crossed it in July and didn't even have to remove my boots. I was able to rock hop and my boots did not get wet. If you take the detour, not only is it longer, but you will miss the very nice view from the ledges.

Praha4
07-26-2010, 18:54
I'll be getting to Big Branch around Aug 23rd, Cosmor or anyone know if construction of the new bridge will be finished by then?

....I'd rather not do the bypass unless fording the creek will be really hazardous, and no way of knowing now how much rain is coming in the next 4 weeks...

tia

digit
07-26-2010, 22:02
My son and I crossed the Big Branch this past Saturday (7/24). This was after two heavy rains in three days. My son rock hopped just upstream from the bridge and others did the same while we were there. I went a shade up stream, took my boots off and waded through a shallow spot. i used poles to keep me upright on slippery rocks.

The GMC caretakers were recommending the detour if there were heavy rains while or just before crossing. I can see where they would want to be adopting the official line, if only to limit their liability in case of an accident.

We were out for four days (Stratton to Clarendon Gorge), and the crossing was the one continuous topic raised by everyone on the trail north and south of the crossing.

Praha4
07-27-2010, 01:06
Cosmo or anyone else, do you know if the new Big Branch bridge on the LT will be finished by mid August?

Jeff
07-27-2010, 05:30
Pretty sure it will be early to mid September before the bridge will be finished.

Bleemus
07-28-2010, 11:44
Nobody should worry about fording the Big Branch right now. I was just there and it is nothing at all. River level is low and you can actually get across in many places without even getting your feet wet but doing so feels good!

vnordqui
11-04-2010, 15:09
Anyone know if the Big Branch bridge is now complete? None of the info websites have been updated since this summer when they all projected September -- but it's now November (I'd rather not make the chilly ford tomorrow) and I can find anything definitive.

Thanks for any insight!

Jeff
11-04-2010, 16:38
It opened in mid September 2010.

wvgrinder
11-05-2010, 08:54
Anyone have a photo of the completed bridge? Here's how it looked in mid August: