PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike near Andrews, NC....with kids

ajint0011
05-26-2010, 10:46
This was the weekend I was supposed to start section hiking the AT, but my hiking buddy had to back out because of work obligations. Instead, the family is going to spend an extended weekend in a cabin near Andrews, NC. One of the days we wanted to get out for a 5-7 mile day hike somewhere on the trail. I am not familiar with this area at all, so I am asking for opinions on the best place to take off from and the direction of travel. I imagine it will need to be an out and back, but a loop utilizing side trails would be good also. My older kid is a 2 year old and anything that would offer a place to explore with interesting scenery would be a plus......although she is really just happy being outside. We are willing to drive probably about an hour to find a good part of the trail to explore. I appreciate your help.......this is the best substitute to actually hiking a good portion of the trail. Plus, I get the expose the little ones at an early age. Thanks.

daddytwosticks
05-26-2010, 16:18
Wayah Bald area. See the sites from the tower and hike a few miles north or south on the AT. Then take a drive down to the Outdoor Center and get some ice cream. :)

ajint0011
05-29-2010, 20:49
Thanks for the advice. I think we will do that tomorrow!