PDA

View Full Version : Dismal Falls

JEBjr
05-26-2010, 12:04
Are there any good campsites near the falls on the AT?

Thanks,

James

Pedaling Fool
05-26-2010, 12:40
You can camp at the falls.

JEBjr
05-26-2010, 13:07
Thanks! I thinks that will be our plan then. Looks like a great place to spend the last weekend of Spring.

d.o.c
05-26-2010, 13:43
theres a few nice spots there to..and its not to far from the lil store either..

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2010, 14:36
There are all sorts of good spots. Best one is about a tenth of mile before the falls, off to the right (as you head TOWARD the falls). Also some great group sites as well.

Yahtzee
05-26-2010, 15:16
There was a store about .4 of a mile down the road. Great place to pick up some dogs and brew for a nice little campout if it is still there. For me, Dismal Falls is about as blissful as it gets. By then I was in hiking shape, the trail had gotten much easier and it was all about miles and having as much fun as possible. Not sure how hard the creek is running but there are a few spots under the falls where you can let the falls crash down onto your head. And the swimming hole at the base of the falls is great, too.

Blissful
05-26-2010, 18:08
I camped at the falls but there's a road right across the creek up on the hill and fishermen come in and out.

Cowgirl Heart
05-28-2010, 18:26
:confused: We were at the falls today for a day hike...beautiful spot with lots of places to pitch a tent...fire rings galore. Checked the registry log on the way out and was bummed to read a thru hiker had their pack stolen during the night earlier in the week.

Blissful
05-28-2010, 20:49
Yep its near a road. Lots of townies around. Watch it.

Dogwood
05-28-2010, 22:13
Yep +1. It's near a graded dirt road. Folks from the surrounding area go there to party. Last weekend of June and nice weather - you probably will not be alone. More people/parties/short walk from cars - expect more garbage too.

Can be real nice when the water is flowing with heavy volume, like after a rain and the garbage is cleaned up/kept to a minimum. Could be a nice place to stop.

If you want to go to the convenience store(beer,etc)it's less than than 1 mile away from Dismalfalls down the graded dirt road. The convenience store had some trailers next to it that they sometimes used to rent out to hikers for a small fee. If you were willing to miss about 2 miles of AT tread you can also get to the convenience store by making a left(going AT NOBO) on the paved road after crossing the AT pedestrian suspension bridge across ? creek and walking down to the store and then walking up the graded dirt road to Dismal Falls. Just ask at the store for directions. It's simple! The AT is on the far side of Dismal Falls high on rocky ground in the woods.

Within 1 days walk NOBO there's also Woods Hostel. You should see a sign or two stapled to trees letting you know of its location. That's a nice quiet inexpensive place with lots of history. I stayed there in 2006 when Millie and her granddaughter were there. One of my fondest memories at any hostel on the AT was when I got to enjoy time there with Millie.

Dogwood
05-28-2010, 22:23
I don't want to blow this out of proportion or make anyone paranoid, but in response to Cowgirl Heart's post that's the third account I know of of a hiker getting their pack ripped off at Dismal Falls. Just be careful not leaving your pack alone out in the open around the falls.

JEBjr
05-30-2010, 19:30
Thanks everyone! I'll make sure to keep an eye on our gear. I'll report back on how the trip goes. I am sure we will take advantage of Trent's Store. :)

earlyriser26
05-30-2010, 23:41
North of Dismal falls is a nice camp site at Honey springs picnic area just off the AT after crossing the top of the mountain. Good water and a very interesting old cabin.

Nean
05-31-2010, 21:30
Yep +1. It's near a graded dirt road. Folks from the surrounding area go there to party. Last weekend of June and nice weather - you probably will not be alone. More people/parties/short walk from cars - expect more garbage too.

Can be real nice when the water is flowing with heavy volume, like after a rain and the garbage is cleaned up/kept to a minimum. Could be a nice place to stop.

If you want to go to the convenience store(beer,etc)it's less than than 1 mile away from Dismalfalls down the graded dirt road. The convenience store had some trailers next to it that they sometimes used to rent out to hikers for a small fee. If you were willing to miss about 2 miles of AT tread you can also get to the convenience store by making a left(going AT NOBO) on the paved road after crossing the AT pedestrian suspension bridge across ? creek and walking down to the store and then walking up the graded dirt road to Dismal Falls. Just ask at the store for directions. It's simple! The AT is on the far side of Dismal Falls high on rocky ground in the woods.

Within 1 days walk NOBO there's also Woods Hostel. You should see a sign or two stapled to trees letting you know of its location. That's a nice quiet inexpensive place with lots of history. I stayed there in 2006 when Millie and her granddaughter were there. One of my fondest memories at any hostel on the AT was when I got to enjoy time there with Millie.
I'm at Woodshole right now. Tillie has passed on but her grandaughter Neville is doing her proud. Babalou got his pack stolen the day we were at Trents store- which has camping, showers and laundry all for 6 dollars.;)

JEBjr
05-31-2010, 22:32
That sucks. I meet Babalou at Old Orchard Shelter a few weeks ago. Really nice guy.

JEBjr
06-18-2010, 15:41
Stayed at the Falls last weekend. Very enjoyable place to camp. There is a Forest Service road so if you like seclusion, probably not the place for you. :) I even met one of the fishers that was shoot by Randall Lee Smith a couple of years back.