PDA

View Full Version : Niagara

brianzappa
05-26-2010, 15:54
Hey! I apologize that this isn't about the AT specifically, but I've been lurking around here a while, and you all seem pretty knowledgeable and helpful compared to folks on a lot of other forums. So, I was thinking about doing a 3-5 day (that's flexible) backpack around Niagara Falls sometime this hiking season, and the info I've found so far has been targeted to vacationers looking for a day hike at the most. Does anyone know of a good loop with places to pitch a tent along? Thanks!

BigFoot2002
05-26-2010, 18:13
I live in upstate New York lately. I really enjoyed last fall's hike on the finger lakes trail. There is a branch that runs the length of Letchworth State Park that was especially nice. Contact the finger lakes trail association for maps and further info.

brianzappa
05-26-2010, 22:23
Will do! Thanks!

Danielsen
07-08-2010, 21:56
Also, note that Niagara County's Conservation Trail runs straight down from the city of Niagara Falls itself to the Finger Lakes Trail. I believe it's detailed in the C-spur maps and there are some hike write-ups available if you google around.

From the other side of the Niagara Falls, the Bruce Trail in Canada picks up and heads up north into some beautiful parts of Canada, so that may be worth a look as well.

Llama Legs
07-09-2010, 08:06
:DThe northern section of the Bruce Trail is unbelievable. I've hiked it six times, first time in 1977. October is the best time of year - but not so much for swimming !

Danielsen
07-09-2010, 11:23
Well in that case, Llama, I'd be interested in hearing from you how accessible the trail is from the Canadian side of Niagara Falls? Is there transportation up there or do you have to get there yourself, and how far is it? Firsthand info is always so much clearer than the hard-to-interpret trail websites... :)

I'd love to check it out myself sometime, so any info you can offer is greatly appreciated. :D

Llama Legs
07-09-2010, 11:46
It's a bit more complicated than you might be looking for. I would drive to Tobermory, ON (5-6 hours from USA), park, and get a shuttle back to the southern end of Lion's Head peninsula. That puts you less than 100 km on foot from the Bruce Trail northern terminus at the harbour in Tobermory. There's a mix of designated camping spots and maybe a night or two stealth camping (still remote). Other than not being at altitude, the repeated climbs can be as slow going as the A.T. in the White Mountains (which I've done).

The rewards are sweet. Beautiful overlooks along the 300 foot cliffs are common. You get down to the Georgian Bay several times a day to refill the crystal clear water and you can swim if it's warm enough (air and/or water). It's well worth the research and they have super folks in the club up there that should be able to help to with local transportation.

Danielsen
07-09-2010, 12:22
Sounds a little further than I was hoping but still definitely something I'll put on my to do list. Still easier than getting to the AT from where I live. ;-)

Then again, technically the CT (which I can walk to) goes down to the FLT, which now hooks up with the GET, which goes down to the AT I guess I could walk to the AT via trails from my home :o ... so many potential routes and options these days! There's hardly ever been a better time than now to be a backpacker.