PDA

View Full Version : AT BT loop north Carolina nantahala pisgah national forests

ike1985
05-26-2010, 22:35
Hello Everybody! I had made threads in the past month or two concerning a hike in the nantahala/cherokee/pisgah national forests, but am now considering this hike.

I am considering doing an AT BT loop in North Carolina. It will be a 50 mile loop. The trip is described in detail here:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/60410

Some questions I have:

Can this be done in 4 days instead of 5? I am thinking the website above is considering traditional pack weights, whereas our heaviest loads will be around 25-27 LBS full to the max with food/water. I have hiked a good deal in the south and am aware of the difficulty that hiking some of the south presents with the humidity, temperature, and terrain. We are both in good shape and are young skinny guys with light packs.

I am also concerned about the remoteness of the trip. We are both seeking a “wilderness” experience. From reading the website, a hydro dam as well as pipeline are mentioned. This brings up concerns of hearing motorcycles/cars on a regular basis as a road may likely run to the dam/pipeline. This would certainly be a negative.

We will also be hammock camping and are concerned about the campsites. We will most likely not be staying at them, instead preferring to do as much mileage as we can and setting up camp where ever we find two trees in an off trail location.

If anyone would like to offer advice on the following as well, that would be much appreciated:
*a member of another forum did this hike and recorded itnas 66 miles. Can anyone confirm this?

*Alternative routes to shorten the trip (I will be taking my brother on his first trip, 50 miles may be a bit much for him, i would like to have options along the hike to possibly shorten it in case he wants to)

*Scenic points of interest not mentioned on the website
*Other hikes in the Nantahala/Pisgah National Forests either LOOP or via return shuttle

I look forward to producing a photograph/video essay for the forums and for others who may consider this trip in the future.

bulldog49
05-27-2010, 16:04
Hello Everybody! I had made threads in the past month or two concerning a hike in the nantahala/cherokee/pisgah national forests, but am now considering this hike.

I am considering doing an AT BT loop in North Carolina. It will be a 50 mile loop. The trip is described in detail here:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/60410

Some questions I have:

Can this be done in 4 days instead of 5? I am thinking the website above is considering traditional pack weights, whereas our heaviest loads will be around 25-27 LBS full to the max with food/water. I have hiked a good deal in the south and am aware of the difficulty that hiking some of the south presents with the humidity, temperature, and terrain. We are both in good shape and are young skinny guys with light packs.

I am also concerned about the remoteness of the trip. We are both seeking a “wilderness” experience. From reading the website, a hydro dam as well as pipeline are mentioned. This brings up concerns of hearing motorcycles/cars on a regular basis as a road may likely run to the dam/pipeline. This would certainly be a negative.

We will also be hammock camping and are concerned about the campsites. We will most likely not be staying at them, instead preferring to do as much mileage as we can and setting up camp where ever we find two trees in an off trail location.

If anyone would like to offer advice on the following as well, that would be much appreciated:
*a member of another forum did this hike and recorded itnas 66 miles. Can anyone confirm this?

*Alternative routes to shorten the trip (I will be taking my brother on his first trip, 50 miles may be a bit much for him, i would like to have options along the hike to possibly shorten it in case he wants to)

*Scenic points of interest not mentioned on the website
*Other hikes in the Nantahala/Pisgah National Forests either LOOP or via return shuttle

I look forward to producing a photograph/video essay for the forums and for others who may consider this trip in the future.

I've been thinking of doing this hike for some time. I've done the AT section of that trip twice and, personally, I think I would do the trip in the opposite direction.

ike1985
05-28-2010, 12:25
Care to say why?