PDA

View Full Version : Blood Mountain still closed??

Graywolf
05-27-2010, 14:06
My section hike this year is coming up fast, maybe leaving out within the next 2 weeks. Does anyone know if Blod Mountain is still closed??

Graywolf

max patch
05-27-2010, 14:14
Between Jarrad Gap (which is a bit north of Woody Gap) and Neels Gap:

Open for hiking,

Closed for camping (this includes Woods Hole Shelter and the Blood Mountain Shelter).

Graywolf
05-27-2010, 14:34
Thanks Max, Just got off the phone with Mike at MC. Looks like Jarred Gap is a camping distination....

Graywolf

V Eight
05-28-2010, 12:24
Graywolf, I and a couple of other sections hikers came into Jarrad Gap around
3:30 on Monday 5-24. While we where sitting there trying to decide if we really wanted to push over Blood to make it to Neels before dark or just camp there, I see a shredded :eek: Bear bag hanging from a tree over the FS road. Looked like the Bear or whatever had climb out on the limb and was able to reach it. That was enough for us. This being my first section I just did not have the nerve to chance it either way!

We went down the FS road (left if northbound) past the commercial campground and scored a ride to Neels. I hate that I missed that section but for me I did not go out there to have to deal with hat kind of stress.

I hope to go back this fall and make that section up though.

Just be carful and fallow you gut.

Pedaling Fool
05-28-2010, 13:18
...I see a shredded :eek: Bear bag hanging from a tree over the FS road. Looked like the Bear or whatever had climb out on the limb and was able to reach it...
That was my point in another thread. It is very difficult to find a suitable tree to hang food that will keep a bear from getting at. Either there are no limbs low enough or the ones low enough are big enough for the bear to walk on or the bear can break the limb.

The ideal limb is one in which the bear cannot break, yet the limb is weak enough for the bear not to feel safe to walk/skimmer across.

I personally think we should make the bear NOT feel safe in coming near tents.

vblake
05-28-2010, 13:26
Talk to Cool Breeze @ Mountain Crossings (also has shuttle service which is great). He can tell you the specifics about the bear. This one is no joke and unfortunately, will be on his way out soon once he gets his third strike. Sadly, the bear will suffer for our human laziness.

Blissful
05-28-2010, 20:53
Talk to Cool Breeze @ Mountain Crossings (also has shuttle service which is great). He can tell you the specifics about the bear. This one is no joke and unfortunately, will be on his way out soon once he gets his third strike. Sadly, the bear will suffer for our human laziness.

I thought he had his 50th strike long ago...for several years he's been at it.

What human laziness? People are hanging their food. The bear decided he liked human food better and gets the food no matter if its hanged. He is too aggressive and needs to be either removed or taken out before a hiker gets hurt.

Lauriep
05-29-2010, 06:55
Does anyone have a photo of the shredded bear bag? A person in the photo to provide scale would be great.

If you have one and are willing to share, please email to me at [email protected].

Laurie P.
ATC

Graywolf
06-01-2010, 20:46
Does anyone have a photo of the shredded bear bag? A person in the photo to provide scale would be great.

If you have one and are willing to share, please email to me at [email protected].

Laurie P.
ATC

I too woud like to see this.. What abut the Freeman Trail?? I would really hate to miss Blood Mountain as I want to do a ceremony there as I go through to honor my ancestors...I felt bad last year because I couldnt make it from a "failed" pack. Now I may miss it again because Yogi is on a rampage..errrrr......

Graywolf

Sierra Echo
06-01-2010, 20:49
I too woud like to see this.. What abut the Freeman Trail?? I would really hate to miss Blood Mountain as I want to do a ceremony there as I go through to honor my ancestors...I felt bad last year because I couldnt make it from a "failed" pack. Now I may miss it again because Yogi is on a rampage..errrrr......

Graywolf

I was planning to hike freeman's on memorial day but the rain kept me away :(
I'm sure the bear has excellent manners the majority of the time, he just acts like a typical hungry male!

Cool AT Breeze
06-01-2010, 20:54
Graywolf, you can hike through there, you just can't spend the night.

Cool AT Breeze
06-01-2010, 20:56
This bear has no manners. If your food is hanging and he wants it it's his.

Sierra Echo
06-01-2010, 20:58
Thats how all men are!

Cool AT Breeze
06-01-2010, 20:59
Thats how all men are!
And your point is?:-?

Graywolf
06-01-2010, 21:00
This bear has no manners. If your food is hanging and he wants it it's his.

Ok, Ill stay alert..hey maybe Ill get a good photo..Thats why we're out there anyway, right?? To enjoy everything the trail throws at us, including the locals...

But then, maybe Ill just do what they do in California. Ill get a bear canester then mail it home from Neels..:D

uhh, NO!!!

Graywolf

Sierra Echo
06-01-2010, 21:11
And your point is?:-?

I would rather take on a hungry bear vs a hungry ex hubby!