PDA

View Full Version : NC sections of the AT - please help

Megapixel
05-27-2010, 14:42
Hello to all. We are looking to do some backpacking for a range of 4-6 days in NC away from the smokies, more towards the balds, etc. I am looking for some help planning a start and ending point, mainly due to the fact that I'm very unsure of how to get back to our vehicle and the safety of our vehicle while leaving it for that long. All suggestions here are greatly appreciated. If it matters, the time frame is ASAP, in the next few days we hope to be leaving.

bigcranky
05-27-2010, 14:52
1. ~45 miles from US 19E southbound to Erwin. Leave your car at Uncle Johnny's hostel and have him shuttle you to 19-E. Great hike, tough first climb. Lots of balds. 4-5 days.

2. Hot Springs north to Erwin, same location for car and shuttle. I think this is closer to 70 miles, but there are other places to start which will shorten it (Allen Gap comes to mind.) This hike crosses Big Bald. 5-6 days.

3. Winding Stair Gap north to Fontana Dam, ~60 miles. Leave your car at the dam and get the Hike Inn to shuttle you. Great section, you can resupply at Nantahala Outdoor Center right in the middle. 6 days, plus one to raft the Nantahala River if you have time. Love this section.

bus
05-27-2010, 20:44
bigcranky has some good suggestions...

We are doing a similar section as his no.1 . Carvers Gap ( actually starting on top of Roan) and heading north past 19E and ending at Walnut Mountain RD. Staying at Mountain Harbour b&B/Hostel.

June 13-16th on trail

Megapixel
05-28-2010, 00:05
thanks bus and Big Cranky! I am watching the weather forecast for the area, but hope to be hiking SUN - THURS...hopefully it won't be a total washout!

The Cleaner
05-29-2010, 17:14
Just got back from Devil's Fork Gap>Erwin >US19E...Going over Hump Mtn ,the Balds &Roan Mtn are really cool,great views and some history too.Uncle Johnny's is helpful also.I'm planning a Roan Mtn turnaround next week. Park at B&B hike to Roan Mtn,taking my time,>hike back to 19E a little quicker...Happy Trails...

Kerosene
05-29-2010, 20:48
If you do not backpack very much, then consider starting at Deep Gap, just south of Standing Indian, and hiking north to Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) for 52 miles. The first half of this distance is quite easy, for a nice warm-up, while on the second half you'll pass over Wayah and Wesser Balds. You can get a shuttle by calling Haven's Budget Inn in Franklin, or the NOC.

se7enty
06-11-2010, 16:48
we are parking at mountain harbour b&b (hwy 19E) on the 17th and they're shuttling us up to iron mountain gap. we plan to arrive back at mountain harbour on the 20th.

the mountain harbour people seem really nice. they're shuttling us up on our first day for $44, then parking is $2/day. they have a fence or something, or so i've heard, so that calms my nerves about the vandalism thing. i've also heard they'll let you shower before you hit the road. i hope so!