PDA

View Full Version : New vs. Old Chacos

sbhikes
05-27-2010, 21:33
I read a thread here that said that Chacos have changed. Now there are new Chacos and old ones and the new ones are inferior (of course.) Now I'm worried. What if I wear out my Chacos? Then what?

I thought maybe I should stock up on the old ones before they are all gone. How do you tell the old ones from the new ones? Can you tell from pictures on the web site? How do you tell in person?

akhiker
05-27-2010, 21:45
Chacos went from being made in Colorado to China. I have 2 pairs of chacos that are 10 years old. Held up great except stinking. I have one new pair of chacos. I haven't had them long enough to tell if there are any issues.

Is there another change other than that?

Marta
05-28-2010, 07:26
Whoa! That sucks.

Do they still offer the repair service in Colorado? I suppose I can answer that question myself by looking at their website.

Sometimes I've wondered if I'll ever need any new Chacos, or if I can just keep having them resoled and having the straps replaced indefinitely...

wcgornto
05-28-2010, 07:35
Whoa! That sucks.

Do they still offer the repair service in Colorado? I suppose I can answer that question myself by looking at their website.

Sometimes I've wondered if I'll ever need any new Chacos, or if I can just keep having them resoled and having the straps replaced indefinitely...

Apparently, they do still repair them in Colorado, and will also make special order new pairs there (for a few dollars more). Scroll dowm the link for comments on the move to China and the remaining Colorado operation.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/CHA0031/Chaco-Z-1-Unaweep-Sandal-Mens.html

Yahtzee
05-28-2010, 08:32
Stinks about the job loss. Loved the old Chacos. Can't say I have hiked enough in recent years to know whether or not the new ones are durable enough to withstand a couple of months on the trail. My CO Chacos got 1600 miles before the strap broke. That said, I haven't paid more than $40 for my last 5 pairs. Bought 3 on closeout when they switched to the new tread and my last two were on clearance at REI. This weekend I got my best deal yet, $33 for a brand new pair of Z1's. Pros and cons, pros and cons....

sbhikes
05-28-2010, 09:03
I doubt they'll be able to keep the repair shop in the US long. These companies are such idiots.