PDA

View Full Version : good thing I got off the trail

Slo-go'en
05-28-2010, 12:03
As I'm now in a Hospital with an accute case of Jaundous!:(
Apparently I developed a blockage in the liver /gaul bladder ducts which then became infected, resulting in this condition.

Had I pushed on a few more days hoping whatever was making me feel bad would just go away, instead of turning around and starting to make my way home, could have resulted in some really serious problems. And having then become accute somewhere between Hot Springs and Erwin would not have been the best place for that to happen!

Never thought this kind of medical problem would take me off the trail 3 days after a start :( I just hope they fix me up, but it will cost me my life savings to do.

Rocket Jones
05-28-2010, 12:14
Sorry to hear about the premature end, but happy that you caught it quickly and are on the mend.

rambunny
05-28-2010, 12:48
The trail isn't going anywhere! Glad you are getting better.

hellomolly
05-28-2010, 13:25
You mean jaundice, right? That's really unfortunate. :( I hope you feel better soon. Are you yellow? I thought that happens with jaundice but maybe I'm wrong. Like someone else said, the trail will always be there!

Feral Bill
05-28-2010, 14:37
Do get better soon!

Slo-go'en
05-28-2010, 14:41
You mean jaundice, right? That's really unfortunate. :( I hope you feel better soon. Are you yellow? I thought that happens with jaundice but maybe I'm wrong. Like someone else said, the trail will always be there!

Yes, that's what I ment. I'm REALLY yellow, like this sun with out the smile :). I finally got a look at myself in a mirror and was blown away. I really thought I was having Lyme symtoms.

Well, just goes to show its not always blisters, tendion and heart problems you need to look out for. If you start feeling really weird, chances are somethings wrong and needs to be checked out. And best do that sooner than later.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what they plan to do to cure me. Looks like it will be a long wait.

modiyooch
05-28-2010, 15:58
Our medical care is cheaper. I passed a kidney stone in Miami Beach and was blown away by the increased cost.
I hope you have a speedy recovery.
I hiked with a gentleman that had a severe heart attack two days after our hike. He definately was struggling during the hike, but neither one of us considered his heart. He was lucky. Could have been a bad situation.

modiyooch
05-28-2010, 16:00
don't they remove gaul bladders?

No Belay
05-28-2010, 16:43
:). I finally got a look at myself in a mirror and was blown away.

Wait till you get my age, that happens every morning.

TaTonka

hellomolly
05-28-2010, 17:03

Remove a province of the ancient Roman Empire?! Preposterous!

Spokes
05-28-2010, 17:10
Hope you get well soon Slo-go'en!

Mrs Baggins
05-28-2010, 17:21
Get well! I'm assuming you didn't buy any kind of medical coverage for your hike.....we bought coverage for a very reasonable price "just in case." You said it would take your "life savings." Lesson to others - - buy the insurance. Go to ehealthinsurance.com and you can pick and choose among literally 100's of plans. In spite of what you may hear, you can buy relatively inexpensive coverage. And I'm so glad you had the presence of mind to get off the trail and seek help. Too often we read on this site and others "tough it out" "you can do it" "if you can't do it you need to give up and go home" and more. Get off, get help, and get back on. You can do it but be practical and smart about it!

Slo-go'en
05-28-2010, 18:20
Get well! I'm assuming you didn't buy any kind of medical coverage for your hike!

Was going to be 300 mile section hike - no big deal :-?

Turns out latest report is a baseball sized growth on the side of my liver is the cause of my problems. This just keeps getting better.... won't know any more until after the long weekend - bad timing on my part.

Mrs Baggins
05-28-2010, 18:37

Turns out latest report is a baseball sized growth on the side of my liver is the cause of my problems. This just keeps getting better.... won't know any more until after the long weekend - bad timing on my part.

We all just never know. :( We did make sure that we had full dental check-ups and all needed work done, got all of our vaccinations, and got the insurance. That's all you can do. Will keep you in my prayers and best wishes to get back out there when you're well! :sun

modiyooch
05-28-2010, 19:37
I'm sure waiting for results is he hardest part.

Skidsteer
05-28-2010, 19:51

Pretty rough news man. You can get through this.

Keep your spirits up and know that folks are praying and pulling for you.

Tinker
05-29-2010, 00:32

Only in Frenchmen.................;)

Tinker
05-29-2010, 00:33
Hey! Get well, willya?

Take care. :)

K2
05-29-2010, 20:08
I'm so glad you listened to your body and got help; that type of condition is really painful, isn't it? I hope the test results are in your favor. K2

clodhopper
05-30-2010, 11:06
Hope the news gets better for you.

SawnieRobertson
05-30-2010, 17:19
As we all know, __it happens. Happily, you got right on it. I'm glad you got in the backwoods time that you did. You have a great goal (getting back out there) to see you through this thing, and look at all of the folks who are pulling for you.--Kinnickinic