PDA

View Full Version : Gear List... in the making

cyanroleman
05-28-2010, 17:55
This is my gear list, I have the basics already, I just need to get some other items. I have an idea of everything I want, but if you know something better let me know!

GEAR I OWN:

Shelter:
Hilleberg Akto- 3 pounds 5 ounces

Sleep:
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 degree: 1 pound 15 ounces

Pack:
Golite Pinnacle (new design): 2 pounds 1 ounce

Clothing:
Patagonia M10 Jacket (Rain and windproof shell): 10 ounces

Mountain Hardwear Phantom Down Jacket: 15 ounces

Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Flex Balaclava: 2 ounces

Old nylon Patagonia Shorts: maybe 4 ounces?

Extra:
Black Diamond Gizmo: 2.8 ounces without batteries
Digital Camera: 5 ounces
70oz CamelBak Bladder: 6 ounces

GEAR I'M LOOKING TO BUY:

Clothing:
Patagonia M10 Pants: 8.5 ounces
Patagonia Runshade T-shirt: 5 ounces

Leki Carbonlite Aergon Trekking Poles (Not set on these but seem solid enough?) 14 ounces
Cooking:
Optimus Crux Lite Stove: 2.5 ounces

.9 Liter REI Ti pot: 5 ounces

Snow Peak Titanium Spork: 0.6 ounces

Not quite sure on what type of water filter I should do..
And I'm not taking a sleeping pad (I never get uncomfortable, and I have plenty of warm gear)

So with all this I'm at around 8 pounds 2 ounces!
I didn't factor in the trekking poles since they aren't really a weight you have to haul.

So just the food, water filter, water, fuel, few extra clothes and some other small items is all I have to factor in.

I'm not a big guy (125 pounds) So a 20+ pound pack is a little daunting, so do you think I can be looking at a sub 15 pound pack with everything ready to go?

I'm open to suggestions on any aspect!

cyanroleman
05-28-2010, 17:59
This is for a Thru hike, oops..

Storm
05-28-2010, 18:22
I'm adding up to 7 pounds just for the big three.

cyanroleman
05-28-2010, 18:28
My bad, I forgot to add the tent. I'm at around 10 pounds 5 ounces...

Spokes
05-28-2010, 20:18
Here's a time proven list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) from Winton Porter you can compare yours against. I'd suggest ditching the water filter and going with Aqua Mira instead.

Good luck!

sbhikes
05-28-2010, 21:26
You have a lot of Patagonia gear. Do you live in Ventura or Santa Barbara? If so, I bet you can find some good Patagonia clothing at the thrift shop. Save some money. That's what I do.

Otherwise, my suggestion to you is to get a lighter shelter, even if all you can afford is a silnylon tarp. Get a lighter down jacket. My guess is yours is really puffy. I find I'm really warm in the Patagonia down sweater and can add additional, thin layers for more warmth, especially on my head and extremities. If you can get a lighter pack, that might help, too.

You haven't added up any of the little extras. Hygiene items, first aid, socks, extra water bottles.

cyanroleman
05-28-2010, 22:04
You have a lot of Patagonia gear. Do you live in Ventura or Santa Barbara? If so, I bet you can find some good Patagonia clothing at the thrift shop. Save some money. That's what I do.

Otherwise, my suggestion to you is to get a lighter shelter, even if all you can afford is a silnylon tarp. Get a lighter down jacket. My guess is yours is really puffy. I find I'm really warm in the Patagonia down sweater and can add additional, thin layers for more warmth, especially on my head and extremities. If you can get a lighter pack, that might help, too.

You haven't added up any of the little extras. Hygiene items, first aid, socks, extra water bottles.

Yeah some people I know find some Patagonia shirts and such at random Tj Max type stores, but I usually look for hours on the internet and save at least 40% on anything I buy.
I'm pretty set on the tent, but do you know any good backpacks that could fit everything?
And on the jacket part, if I get a lighter one and bring extra layers, is that the same as just having a slightly bigger one?

leaftye
05-28-2010, 23:46
Too bad you're so set on the tent. You could save a lot of weight there. You could get a 2 pound Lightheart tent or you could save another half pound by using my solution: Zpacks Hexamid with netting, optional door, full set of stakes (11) including 3 spares, bathtub ground sheet, Tigoat bivy with side zip and net hood.

The jacket and layers part depends on how you hike. I almost never get cold while hiking, not unless the wind really picks up. This means I can have nothing except a single thick layer that only goes on during extended breaks or at camp.

Wait until you know how much volume you'll need before you buy the pack, which means you'll need to get the rest of your gear first.

I think skipping the pad is a terrible idea.

And no, I don't think you can do a 15 pound pack with everything ready to go. I think your base weight will be 15 pounds, and then you add water, food and other consumables. If you want 15 pounds with a full load of food and water you will need to get very extreme with your gear. That means making your own gear and/or opening your wallet very wide.

You will still probably add little things like a hygiene kit, first aid kit, watch, DEET, headnet, fire starter, food/bear bag, hat, sun screen, batteries/chargers, cell phone and pages from your guidebook/map. Those add quite a few pounds in addition to the stuff you already mentioned. Plus a pad. Dude, you'll need a pad.

If you really want to hit that all-inclusive weight, I would:

Go completely cookless so you can get rid of the pot, stove and fuel.

Replace the eating utensil with a plastic one.

Only eat foods with 150 calories per ounce. I'll make an exception for Nestle Nido at 141.2 calories per ounce due to the healthy benefits of drinking milk.

Go on training hikes to find out what you really need, especially in regards to warm clothing and your sleeping bag.

Make or buy custom sized gear that fits your small body. Cuben fiber can be your best friend. Specifically, get a quilt and pack that really fits you.

BPL Thorofare shirt and pants. Get it. Lose the shorts.

Your rain and down jackets are at least 3 ounces too heavy, even for a super warm down jacket.

Replace the balaclava with a Ray Way bomber hat.

Cuben fiber shelter. No exception.

Forget the filter. Use a bandana and chemicals.

Replace the Camelback bladder with a couple of 32 ounce Gatorade bottles.

Tinker
05-29-2010, 00:22
If you can get your gear weight down low enough you can go frameless with your pack. I've hiked frameless for the past 4 years and can carry up to 30 lbs. fairly comfortably. Anything below 25 is a piece of cake. My average is around 20-22 for 2-4 days.
My pack, a Golite Dawn (discontinued, unfortunately) weighs 17 ozs. and is just starting to show signs of wear (interestingly, on the Dyneema grid bottom, not the 1.7 oz. silnylon back, sides, mesh, or stitching).