PDA

View Full Version : Funny AT Stories

mdionne
10-30-2004, 14:00
any good stories out there. i know i've heard a million of them. i thought posting a few would be a good thing to look back on for a laugh.

this one's not great but it's the only one i can think of right now...

in virginia some friends and i had been sitting on a cilff and we noticed a thunderstorm rolling in over the next range. hardened and knowledgable thru-hikers that we were, we decided we had enough time to get to the shelter only a mere 1.5 miles away. so we finished our session and started hiking. about 20 paces into the hike it started to sprinkle a little. instead of putting our rain covers on we decided to start jogging. as the rain started to get harder we trotted, then ran. all of a sudden there started a torrential downpour with pellet sized hail and lightning that scared the bejeezus out of me. within two minutes water on the trail, acting as runoff, was way over my boots i couldn't even see the trail. and so i kept running. a few minutes later we arrived at the shelter drenched. two other thru-hikers we knew were in the shelter already dry as a bone. they sat there and laughed and took pictures of us while we stripped down and put on "dryer" clothes. when we got done they asked us where the section hikers were that we passed earlier. we all laughed and agreed that they were totally drenched after all it was still raining. after a few minutes the rain petered out and the section hikers popped in, completely dry. "how did you do that?" a friend asked. "we hid under out tent flys until the storm passed." we had been outwitted by section hikers.

mdionne
10-31-2004, 18:12
well, since you are busy bickering over poetry i guess i'll make this my own personal stories page for my own personal reference.

as we woke up one morning at trail days a friend came over to our tent and said "i got laid last night!". "by who?" i said. "the girl in that tent over there, she kicked me out last night." he said pointing a dome tent nearby. then the tent started moving and it started to open. tumbling out comes baltimore jack trying to take his morning piss! we were rolling, my friend, on the other hand, was mortified.

grrickar
10-31-2004, 18:41
I have three from my last section hike:

Story 1: We hiked 19.8 miles from Hot Springs to Max Patch, and that was the first day of hiking. Me and my partner were both tired so we setup camp, had dinner and went to bed. It was really windy, and my hiking buddy had one of those MSR Missing Link shelters which is pitched with hiking poles. I was nearby in my MSR Hubba. I dozed off, and woke sometime later to see a bright light through my tent's rainfly. The rainfly is orange, so my first thought was that it was daybreak. After laying there awhile and the sky not brightening, I assumed it was my partner packing up since I could still see the light and it was coming from his direction. After hearing a LOT of rustling, then a zipper, I started packing my stuff up. I had everything packed and I stepped out of the tent, to find that the light I saw was a half moon low in the sky, and a quick check of the clock told me it was only 12:30am. The noise I mistook for him packing up was his tent flapping in the strong wind. I unpacked and crawled back in my tent, wide awake at that point.

Story 2: We stopped one night at Pecks Corner, and around midnight someone jumps out of the sack and starts looking at one of the packs. Another guy asks what is going on and the reply is 'there is a mouse in this pack'. They proceed to spin the pack around to find the mouse, and one of the two is swearing there is a mouse inside the pack and that he sees it moving inside. They finally dump all the contents of the pack, only to find there is no mouse. They repack, then hit the sack again.

Story 3: We stopped another night at Derricks Knob, and there are 5 other people when we arrive. Two of the guys turn in early, and start yelling that there are large mice everywhere. Once everyone turns in the mice get even more active, to the point they are running all over everyone and everything. After things quiet down some, one of the guys turns his headlamp on his pack, and 5 mice scatter. He jumps out of the sack, drops his pack on the ground and proceeds to whack it with a hiking pole, and he isn't holding anything back. After about 10-12 good whacks, he picks up his pack and mutters 'I hope that didn't break my camera'. I woke that next morning with one of the furry bastages standing on my head. Brave lot of mice at Derricks Knob. Be afraid - be very afraid :D

mdionne
10-31-2004, 19:25
i really liked the last one.

two of my friends were hiking in pennsylvania together. one is a few hundred meters ahead of the other heading up a slope. all of a sudden the one ahead hears the other screaming. and i mean blood curdling screams. he ran down the hill with his poles held up ready to kill. the other guy is jumping up and down holding his head. "AHHHH! There's a bug in my ear!!!"

Kerosene
10-31-2004, 19:46
At Winturri Shelter in Vermont (Sept. 2000) I had to get up before dawn to visit the latrine. There were three other hikers in the shelter so I tried to be quiet and keep my flashlight off until I got outside. I turned on the light and started down the little side trail when the wind caught a branch and cast a big shadow across my path. Now, it's usually pretty hard to get me ruffled, but I let out a quick yell thinking there was an animal in my path, quickly followed by a sheepish "Sorry, just a shadow" apology to everyone I'm sure I woke up. No one mentioned it in the morning though!

Mags
10-31-2004, 20:38
At the 501 shelter in PA, the caretaker lets hikers call a nearby pizza place that will deilver to a trailhead parking lot not too far from the shelter... that may still be the case

And there lies a tale. It has been told before, but it is a good one to tell again....

Sometime in late May of '98, I was staying at the 501 shelter along with some other thru and section hikers. When we found out that pizza place delivers, we were ecstatic with joy. By that point in the trail, I had
lost the extra twenty pounds on my frame, and was most definitely not shy about wanting the extra calories....and the thought of pizza sounded much better than my Lipton noodles de jure.
So we placed the rather large order. Relax, Brian and myself volunteered to wait for the pizza delivery. It was approx. 7 PM when a car showed up. I thought "The pizza delivery is here!!!!!Who else would be going to a trailhead parking lot at this time of the day??!?!?" . In
my hungry and excited state, I ran up to the car. A little background; Relax was a clean cut looking girl who recently graduated high school. Brian was also fairly clean cut looking, and hung back, not quite as running close to the car as I. What did I look like by this point in
the trail? Almost three months of being outside had given me dark tan. I also had three months of not shaving and was sporting a very thick and long black beard. In short, if an escaped terrorist was out hiking the AT, it would look somewhat like me at that point. :D
So here I am: a scary looking hike dude with an idiotic grin on my face looking at a woman whom I thought was the pizza delivery person. She looked back at me with and seemed to be a tad nervous. I asked (while
the windows were rolled up on her car) "Are you the pizza delivery person?".... Her reply "NOOOOOOOOOO!".. I sheepishly explained who we were and backed off. The faux pizza delivery person quickly go out of her car, lit a cigarette, and walked way at a VERY brisk pace. I am
surprised I did not get pepper sprayed.
When the actual pizza delivery people did show up, I was a bit hesitant to approach the car. Good pizza, though.

Flash Hand
11-01-2004, 07:57
A few to share:

1. When One Leg and I arrived at Plumorchard Gap Shelter. We happened to have several hikers. Some Thru-Hikers, Section Hikers and weekenders. So, that day, a weekender arrived with a young girl. She is really very hyperactive. Jumping around, walking in and out of shelter like 50 times, climbing up and down the shelters several times. Laughing like hyena. She seemed to more hyper than Rodney Dangerfield. She is pretty young, would say around 12 years old Must be very happy girl. She is all ready in pajamas. It seemed that she is all ready to hit the sack. She also tried to talk with me but it turned out that she realized I am deaf hiker. She keep trying to ask One Leg to interpret the converstation I had with One Leg. One Leg asked her to TALK to me. One Leg and I Need A Hug agreed that I am very fortunate for being deaf, not to hear that young girl's chatter. She is a chatter box! So, the night come, the moon showed up. Hikers start to hit the sack. Thru Hiker, I Need A Hug and If I can make it sleeps inside on the top of shelter, while Me and One Leg got the second floor. The girl and parents sleep in between I Need A Hug and If I can Make it. So, I slept.

One Leg woke me up in the morning as its time to get up. I have ability to notice how unhappy One Leg is. He keep looking up at those people sleeping on the third floor of the shelter. If I can make it woke up. I, then become suspicous and asked One Leg if he had a good sleep? He said not so good. I asked why and he said, that young girl up there, talked to herself ALL NIGHT! I laughed and felt so blessed that I am DEAF! what a great sleep! One Leg then told me, I Need A Hug already set up the tent outside shelter around midnight and If I can make it said that he only be able to sleep from 6pm to 11pm, because that is when young girl come in the tent at 11pm.

How sweet for myself as a deaf hiker!

2. Another hiker shared me a story. He got up in the morning, trying to find the stuff sack for his sleeping bag. Looked everywhere on the shelter for about 2 hours, and couldn't find it. He decided to check underneath the shelter, and found it. It turned out that mice stole it and hide it under the shelter. What happened to his stuff sack? It become swiss cheese! Poor him!

Flash Hand :jump

mdionne
11-01-2004, 12:56
in the shenendoahs i noticed my friend stopped in the middle of the trail and was looking at a van running in a small parking spot just off the trail. "think he wants to slackpack us?" he said. "i don't know, let's go ask." so as we wandered down to the van we noticed no one was in it but it was running. "maybe he went to go take a ****." i said. so we went back to the trail and seconds later a third friend showed up and asked what we were doing. "trying to get a slackpack out of that van but nobody is in it." i said. "yes there is! i just saw somebody in there" he said. so we ventured down to the van again and it still didn't look like any one was there. "i thought i saw someone" my friend said as he approached the van to look in. suddenly, the van door slides open "can i help you guys?" the man said sitting there buck naked with a girl hiding under the covers next to him. we just stood there laughing while my friend sheepishly says, "um, we were just wondering if you would like slackpack us?" "what do you think?" the guy says as he slams the sliding door shut.

Flash Hand
11-02-2004, 00:56
in the shenendoahs i noticed my friend stopped in the middle of the trail and was looking at a van running in a small parking spot just off the trail. "think he wants to slackpack us?" he said. "i don't know, let's go ask." so as we wandered down to the van we noticed no one was in it but it was running. "maybe he went to go take a ****." i said. so we went back to the trail and seconds later a third friend showed up and asked what we were doing. "trying to get a slackpack out of that van but nobody is in it." i said. "yes there is! i just saw somebody in there" he said. so we ventured down to the van again and it still didn't look like any one was there. "i thought i saw someone" my friend said as he approached the van to look in. suddenly, the van door slides open "can i help you guys?" the man said sitting there buck naked with a girl hiding under the covers next to him. we just stood there laughing while my friend sheepishly says, "um, we were just wondering if you would like slackpack us?" "what do you think?" the guy says as he slams the sliding door shut.

Holy Cow... did you take any pictures of them? If so, make copies send it to me and L. Wolf. :bse

Flash Hand :jump

mdionne
11-02-2004, 01:23
i don't think you'd be too impressed with pictures of these two.

a friend and i arrived at a shelter just before mahoosic notch. before it even got dark there were mice darting all over the place. my friend offered for his dog to sleep next to me because he was going to tent it and the dog would help keep the mice away. i slept great with no problems what so ever. when my friend woke up i thanked him and told him how well i slept. "You sleep alright?" I asked him. "Naw, I had a f-ckin' mouse chew through my tent, then into my food bag!" "Oh, that sucks, um, thanks again for the dog!"

mdionne
11-05-2004, 20:11
wasn't there so i can't verify the validity of this one but i heard about a man named moose killer on the trail when i was hiking. when i asked how he got his name i was told this....

he was walkin' down the trail in the 100 mile wilderness and came upon a bull moose in rut. the moose just stood there not moving. not knowing what to do moose killer whipped out a can of pepper spray and sprayed the moose. the moose got pissed and chased him up the trail then pinned him behind a tree for twenty minutes until the moose gave up.

i'm assuming he wasn't from around here.

mdionne
02-05-2006, 11:33
i love reviving old threads, especially ones i started.

one night after a long hike i decided to stay at a shelter while my friend decided to stay further down the trail at a road crossing in order to go into town early and pick up his mail drop. apparently he met up with a couple other hikers we know that were coming back from town to the trail. they got some whiskey and beer in town and decided to stay at the road crossing considering there was a trash can there. and so my friend proceeded to get a little trashed. later on that night he set up his tent and then passed out in it. the next morning he woke up to the sounds of car horns every so often and looked out. he had set up right next to the road. he was also buck naked and his ass was all pressed up against the mesh toward traffic! we ran into a married couple later on that day who had walked by his tent earlier and her comment was, "nice ass!":D