PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Central VA near Dragon's Tooth- Craig Creek Vally/621 to Route 311

CentralVaAt
05-29-2010, 00:19
I'm planning an overnight hike from 621 to Rt. 311 near Roanoke Va. The hike is about 20 miles. The first shelter (Pickle Branch) is about 8.5 miles into the hike. I'm wondering if there are any good tent sites within a few more miles north. I'd like to get a few miles further the first day so I have fewer to do the second day. Even more specifically, are there any good spots near Dragon's Tooth? Thanks for any help!

Father Dragon
05-29-2010, 02:40
I'm planning an overnight hike from 621 to Rt. 311 near Roanoke Va. The hike is about 20 miles. The first shelter (Pickle Branch) is about 8.5 miles into the hike. I'm wondering if there are any good tent sites within a few more miles north. I'd like to get a few miles further the first day so I have fewer to do the second day. Even more specifically, are there any good spots near Dragon's Tooth? Thanks for any help!

There aren't really any good sites between pickle branch and dragon's tooth. You could camp at dragon's tooth but that's sort of homesteading if you ask me ... okay I guess if you get there late and leave early but dragon's tooth get's a lot of visitors and I'd feel sort of funny setting up camp with 30 day hikers milling around. There is a gap about 1.5 miles nobo from the tooth that has okay sites for camping (no water that I've ever seen.) When you cross the valley (a few miles after the gap I mentioned) and before you climb the ridge there are some sites with water, but keep in mind that the creek that you pass is a drainage for agricultural land.

You might want to consider doing 311 to 621 instead.