PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade bottles

Japhy
05-30-2010, 12:00
Random question- I've used gatorade bottles for short term hikes and they have been fine, but I'm wondering if they can hold up for a few weeks on trail for holding water. Also, wondering how they would hold up with a hot drink inside them. I like them because much lighter than a nalgene, and i like a hard container to drink from at night as opposed to platypus, etc. Just wondering about durability and ability to hold hot liquid. Thanks!

BigFoot2002
05-30-2010, 12:07
Durability is not much an issue. They are very easily recycled and replaced at even the smallest convenience stores. How often you feel like having a another gatorade may be more of a deciding factor.

They work with warm drinks. Hot drinks? They wont take boiling water. Try out what you have in mind before hitting the trail.

G-WALK
05-30-2010, 12:16
I think they would last. i used aquamear (sp?)water bottles for weeks at a time. would lose them most of the time, then replace them.

leaftye
05-30-2010, 12:58
Even if they hold up, I hope you have a plan to clean them because that hot drink will result in a moldy mess. I think it'd be easier to swap that Gatorade bottle frequently.

As for durability, I wish I could tell you. I kept losing my bottle every 2 weeks.

garlic08
05-30-2010, 18:07
I recently heard that Gatorade just started using a lighter weight bottle.

Gatorade and Aquafina bottles are my choice because they have wide mouths. Gatorade is more common and very easy to pick up from the ground at most road crossings and trailheads.

I doubt the lightweight plastic is very stable chemically and I would hesitate before putting boiling water in it.

I've never had one break, but I try to replace them monthly because they get pretty creased up and cloudy looking.

Old Hiker
05-30-2010, 18:14
Try the 64 ounce juice bottles from Wally-World or your local grocery. Light weight, last forever. Just carry an extra cap - I think that is the one area that may crack or break.

BigFoot2002
05-30-2010, 18:32
I prefer Mt Dew and Pepsi bottles because of the light weight, availability, mouth size, and initial contents. Leaving town with a couple of nearly frozen bottles really helps with that inevitable long limb with a freshly filled pack.

In cooler temperatures I always carry one Nalgene to fill with boiling water in case I need to boost my sleeping bag rating on a cold night, or hypothermia first aid. Do not try that with any of the bottles discussed in this thread.

Blissful
05-30-2010, 22:11
I used an aquafina bottle. Held up for three weeks.

SGT Rock
05-30-2010, 22:13
I use the same Gatorade bottle for 2 months. Changed it out just because. With less frequent hiking than a thru, I've now had the same bottle for about 2+ years. Still works fine. It they make a lighter bottle I'd like to see if it would work as well.

Tinker
05-30-2010, 22:25
I poured boiling water into one once and the bottom turned white and broke the next day - cold beverages only.
I use them on almost every hike. I take a full one and don't open it until day 2 when I need a bit more sugar and electrolytes. When it's about 1/2 full (empty if you're a pessimist :D) I filter water into it until it's full, then I sip on that the rest of the day. Since you are rarely any more than 3-4 days away from a resupply on the AT, you shouldn't have to worry about the bottle holding up for a complete thru.
If you're concerned about bottle breakage you can do what I finally did and purchase a stainless bottle. No worries about breakage or chemicals leaking, and you can boil water right in it (with the plastic top off) and use it as a hot water bottle on cold nights.

Tinker
06-01-2010, 07:44
Above should read "chemicals leaching".

SGT Rock
06-01-2010, 07:45
I've never put boiling water into one. I have put water about 190F into one and had no problems.

JAK
06-01-2010, 07:56
I use a Kelly Kettle, so I have to deal with wicked hot boiling water.

The old polycarbonate Nalgene bottles held up will, but I don't use them anymore.
PET will shrink badly at 212F, so you have to cool it down some.
PP will hold up better, but I don't like the feel of PP. Not sure why.

I'm still working on the perfect container, which can be used as a pot or a mug and as a water carrier, even for hot drinks and soups. Something metal, but with a full width mouth, with a good seal. Not exactly rocket science yet nothing on the market yet. I have been thinking about epoxying a Nalgene or PP rim onto a Fosters can or something like that. I need to find one of those round toits. I could get alot of stuff done if I could only get a round toit.

Tinker
06-01-2010, 08:03
Backpacking Light used to offer a silicone lip guard for the Foster's can to prevent burning yourself on the hot aluminum.
I've been using my Kleen Canteen to boil water and have thought that it would make a great brewing device for fresh coffee if you made cowboy coffee in it and just used an elastic band to hold a bandanna over the top while you poured into a cup. Haven't tried it yet mostly because it would necessitate several rinses of boiled or filtered water to clean it out.

sbhikes
06-01-2010, 11:43
I've used the consumer plastic bottles for cold drinks for months, the one I use for a fuel bottle for years. Durability is excellent. I would not put hot water in one. Get a different kind of bottle for that.

RGB
06-01-2010, 11:57
I'm not sure if Gatorade bottles are a type 1 plastic or not, but I know most bottles are. Over a long period of time, some harmful chemicals could leach into whatever liquid you have in there, really this only happens when it's warm. I don't really think it's enough to do too much damage, or beverages wouldn't be sold in them. Everything causes cancer nowadays. I've been using the same Ethos bottle for a while now, and the plastic is thinner than a Gatorade bottle, so you should have no worries. A great alternative to overpriced Nalgene's. Denatured alcohol also holds up well in them, just make sure you mark it DO NOT DRINK.

Jack Tarlin
06-01-2010, 14:26
I've been using 32 oz. Vitamin water bottles for several months. They're the same size as Gatorade bottles but thinner so they fit most bottle holsters better. Plus, they are easily replaceable.

JAK
06-01-2010, 15:31
They have a good wide mouth on them too. We can't get them in Canada in that larger size, but I can get them in Maine. They are the best I've seen in PET. Gatoraide and Poweraid are similar, but not as well shaped.

sbhikes
06-02-2010, 10:20
I seriously think they want you to believe that these plastic bottles will cause cancer if you don't throw them away. They don't want you to reuse them. They want to sell more plastic.

Spokes
06-02-2010, 10:31
The running gag on my thru-hike last year was which bottle lasted longer- Gatorade or Powerade. In the end both were equally durable. The Powerade bottles are slightly narrower so they fit in my side pack pocket a little easier. Never put hot water in them but imagine it would be a bad thing to do.

I once tripped and fell in a creek getting water while holding a Gatorade bottle and it took the full weight of the impact without breaking! Amazing!

Definitely ditch the Nalgenes......... they're so 1990's.

Gray Blazer
06-02-2010, 11:01
I like the whatever-aid bottles. I like to use the one liter or 20 oz soda bottles. You can slip several in different areas of your pack, where ever there is a little space. I carried an extra 2 liters last summer w/o even using them (I forgot they were there).

Better to have more than you need than to run out.