PDA

View Full Version : Unionville NY

elray
05-30-2010, 18:32
II Cat and I finished the section between DWG and Bear Mountain week before last and had the good fortune of staying at the Outhouse (formerly the Mayor's House), man were we treated well! They served a delicious breakfast and supper along with a complimentary shower and laundry not to mention a clean and comfortable sleeping platform in the basement. It rained all day Wednesday so we slacked the 17 miles to the north and enjoyed a second night of their hospitality. Thank you Dick, Butch and Bill from the bottom of our hearts! On the last day of the hike we ran into the local Trail Supervisor refreshing the blazes on top of Bear Mountain, "Perk" informed us of the brand new Trail relocation project on the Hudson River side of the mountain that will officially open on June 5, National Trail Days, and invited to hike it to the bottom. What a treat that was! To be some of the first hikers to walk that graded and stepped stone pathway instead of the boulder scramble we had been anticipating. This engineering marvel has apparently been in progress for several years and maybe you local guys will know the particulars? I'm interested in knowing how that was financed.

Panzer1
05-30-2010, 22:21
I've heard a lot of good thinks about that place in Unionville.

Unfortunately, I also heard they were closing this September. Did anyone else hear that?

Panzer

sasquatch2014
05-31-2010, 07:32
I am not 100% sure how it was financed but it was a number of different sources including national, state and local. It has been a 4 year project so far and they still will be redoing the trail more to AT standards down the west side of Bear Mt as well as the last section up to the observation tower and over the summit now that the first segment is completed. For more info Check out the New York New Jersey Trail Conference website. I agree with your assessment it is a great trail I had a chance to walk it back in March and was really impressed.

Don H
05-31-2010, 10:02
I've heard a lot of good thinks about that place in Unionville.

Unfortunately, I also heard they were closing this September. Did anyone else hear that?

Panzer

What happened to the Mayor?

rambunny
05-31-2010, 10:52
not to pass gossip but i heard he was in love!

elray
05-31-2010, 20:45
He's made no secret of the fact that he's engaged to a sweet local woman and yes, the future of the Outhouse is up in the air as of two weeks ago. Let's hope something happens before the Fall that will let this already legendary AT stop to continue.

Don H
06-01-2010, 09:14
not to pass gossip but i heard he was in love!

That's better than what I thought might have happened to him!