PDA

View Full Version : I bought a hair dryer today

Jonnycat
05-31-2010, 00:00
I bought a hair dryer today, can you guess why I bought it?

Hint: it wasn't to dry my hair.

Bonus: what is the name of the original dude?

moytoy
05-31-2010, 08:51
Hair dryers are good for a lot of things in the shop, I keep two or three of my wifes old dryers at any given time. Drying glue, drying anything that you have sealed you tent or pack with. They are good for taking decals of of old cars and such. I actually used one to heat the inside of my truck cab. Use one to speed up dehydydrating food process. Lots more but I digress.

K2
05-31-2010, 09:15
Jeff Dowd (http://www.seattleweekly.com/slideshow/the-original-dude-and-friends-at-lebowski-fest-in-fremont-28045033/)

You can use a blow dryer for a lot of things. You can dust with one; you can remove bumper stickers; you can check for air leaks in your home; etc.

Google Search is a wonderful thing.... K2

bulldog49
05-31-2010, 11:04
The Dude abides. My all-time favorite movie. :banana

Jonnycat
05-31-2010, 16:45
Nobody has come up with the answer(s) yet.

Hint: it is backpacking related.

Gray Blazer
05-31-2010, 19:05
I hate riddles and guessing games.

Jonnycat
05-31-2010, 19:31
Thanks for sharing. :D

Wolf - 23000
05-31-2010, 19:42
Nobody has come up with the answer(s) yet.

Hint: it is backpacking related.

Let me guest. Your hair dryer runs on batteries so it is portable, weight under a pound (including batteries) and can be used to dry off your equipment after a rain storm, throw in your sleeping bag for extra heat, heating up your hands/feet while it is cold out and thawing out your equipment if it is frozen.
Not an original idea but just a guest.
Wolf

Jonnycat
05-31-2010, 20:14
Heh, no, but good guess. It's a regular hair dryer, plugs into the wall socket, and I bought it specifically to use at home for a backpacking-related application.

Roland
05-31-2010, 20:16
My wife's blow dryer died last week, so on the way home from work, she bought a replacement.

I never thought to announce her purchase on the World Wide Web.

Ol Mole
05-31-2010, 20:28
I bought a hair dryer today, can you guess why I bought it?

Hint: it wasn't to dry my hair.

Bonus: what is the name of the original dude?

I use a hairdryer sometimes to dry my water bottles and Platapus & tubes. I got tired of it and got a aquarium pump from Walmart, so I can do something else while it dries.

The Dude abides!

Jonnycat
05-31-2010, 20:34
I use a hairdryer sometimes to dry my water bottles and Platapus & tubes. I got tired of it and got a aquarium pump from Walmart, so I can do something else while it dries.

I found that one of those clip-on desk fans work the best for that application. Well, maybe not best, but since I already have the desk fan set up for drying out my boots, it's already in the right place to blow into the platys for a day until they are dry inside.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9580/clipfan.jpg

K2
06-01-2010, 02:36
To improve adhesion on repair patches.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/goretex_fabric_repair_kit.htm

Googled again.

I have too much time on my hands. K2

mudhead
06-01-2010, 06:02
My wife's blow dryer died last week, so on the way home from work, she bought a replacement.

I never thought to announce her purchase on the World Wide Web.

Thot is because you don't care about wet rabbits.

moytoy
06-01-2010, 07:44
After a sleepless night wondering what! I give up...WHAT?

Jonnycat
06-01-2010, 14:53
After a sleepless night wondering what! I give up...WHAT?

Alright, I guess nobody is going to come up with it, so I'll tell 'ya: I bought it to heat up the leather on my boots after I put Sno-Seal on them.

I know this is probably something most whippersnappers don't remember, what with the prevalence of sneakers and gore-tex and whatnot, but there was a time when Sno-Seal was "da bomb" for putting on your boots.

I just put it on my new boots, and will end up putting another coat on in the fall, and then maybe once a year afterwards as needed.

As for the original dude, it was none other than Ome Daiber, whose name used to be featured prominently on every can of Sno-Seal.

For anyone not familiar with Ome, here (http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/comm/daiber-matie.html) is a good summation of what he was all about.

K2
06-01-2010, 16:20
Hey, I was close! Don't I get an "Honorable Mention"? :sun K2

Jonnycat
06-01-2010, 18:58
Indeed you were, K2. Please accept this token of your achievement! :D

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9885/honorablemention.jpg

sbhikes
06-01-2010, 20:27
Sno-seal is the bane of my life. First I have to spend a night in a hotel room on the trail listening to some old geezer going on and on about needing sno-seal for his boots. Then I got to hang out with a different guy who got conned somehow into buying sno-seal for the old geezer and so now he won't shut about about the dang sno-seal. Then I bump into the old guy again at the next town stop and he's like "where's my sno-seal, is so-and-so coming soon with my sno-seal?" So I pull some 25-30 mile days just to get away from the dang sno-seal guy and now I wasted 15 minutes of my life on this stupid topic about sno-seal. I hate sno-seal.

Jonnycat
06-01-2010, 21:43
lol, glad to be of service! :D

Cool AT Breeze
06-01-2010, 21:43
Heat will kill your boots. It will reactivate the glue that holds the sole on and cause it to peel off. Good luck.

LIhikers
06-01-2010, 22:14
Alright, I guess nobody is going to come up with it, so I'll tell 'ya: I bought it to heat up the leather on my boots after I put Sno-Seal on them.

I just use the oven.
Once I take the food out I puy my boots in for a couple minutes with the oven turned off.

Spokes
06-01-2010, 22:15
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K2
06-01-2010, 22:21
Indeed you were, K2. Please accept this token of your achievement! :D

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9885/honorablemention.jpg

Ah, gosh, oh gee. I thank all the little people who helped me get this medal of achievement; in particular, I'd like to thank Mr. Google. In closing, well what can I say but more mindless drivel, so, again, THANK YOU and goodnight. K2

JAK
06-01-2010, 22:46

I know this is probably something most whippersnappers don't remember, what with the prevalence of sneakers and gore-tex and whatnot, but there was a time when Sno-Seal was "da bomb" for putting on your boots.

I just put it on my new boots, and will end up putting another coat on in the fall, and then maybe once a year afterwards as needed.

As for the original dude, it was none other than Ome Daiber, whose name used to be featured prominently on every can of Sno-Seal.

For anyone not familiar with Ome, here (http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/comm/daiber-matie.html) is a good summation of what he was all about.

I use the oven, and I put the snow seal on after I heat them up. Actually, first I soak them in water, then I dry them and heat them in the oven, and then I snow seal them. I only do this once a year, for the wet part of winter, usually February/March. When the dry part of winter returns, usually December/January I like them a little more breathable but the snow seal is sufficiently worn off by then, usually.

Jonnycat
06-02-2010, 00:07
I just use the oven.
Once I take the food out I puy my boots in for a couple minutes with the oven turned off.

I use the oven, and I put the snow seal on after I heat them up. Actually, first I soak them in water, then I dry them and heat them in the oven, and then I snow seal them. I only do this once a year, for the wet part of winter, usually February/March. When the dry part of winter returns, usually December/January I like them a little more breathable but the snow seal is sufficiently worn off by then, usually.

I used to do that (the oven thing), but I got worried that it was delaminating the gore-tex. Dunno how based in reality that was, but it was enough to steer me away from the oven.

The thing I like about the hair dryer is that it is a more directed heat; I can head up the surface of the leather, and when the sno-seal melts, I move on.

Of course, the best way I've found to melt the wax on is to put the boots out on a warm sunny day, but we haven't had one of those for awhile now.

Gray Blazer
06-02-2010, 07:41

We do this in Florida all the time. :rolleyes: