PDA

View Full Version : Search for hiker on Katahdin

earlyriser26
05-31-2010, 08:06
Just saw that a search was going on for a 41 year old hiker from Ohio. He was last seen on top of Katahdin about 2pm on friday. He never signed out and his car is still there. Any new info?

woodsy
05-31-2010, 08:21
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/144770.html

brotheral
05-31-2010, 08:36
Praying for Michael Hays and everyone involved :) !!!!

woodsy
05-31-2010, 16:48
Missing hiker found but not many details at this time.
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/144770.html

warraghiyagey
05-31-2010, 16:56
Thanks for the update Woodsy. . . this is certainly very good news for a fellow hiker. . . . :sun

woodsy
05-31-2010, 17:03
Thanks for the update Woodsy. . . this is certainly very good news for a fellow hiker. . . . :sun

Yes indeed. :sun
There are some interesting remarks at the bottom of the article in the comments section, people who actually met up with him.Seems he was looking for a "shortcut" down the mountain:eek:
Someone overheard on a scanner that he has an injured knee.

warraghiyagey
05-31-2010, 17:15
Shortcuts off Katahdin are rarely as simple as point A to point B . . . .

woodsy
05-31-2010, 17:17
Seems he was looking for a "shortcut" down the mountain:eek:

whoops, looking for a "easier" way down the mountain :o

All hearsay of course.....

warraghiyagey
05-31-2010, 17:24
whoops, looking for a "easier" way down the mountain :o

All hearsay of course.....
Helicopter is easier but more expensive. . . .

soad
05-31-2010, 19:27
Shortcuts off Katahdin are rarely as simple as point A to point B . . . .

Point A to point B is pretty easy on Katahdin as long as your comfortable with freefall :rolleyes:.

mudhead
06-01-2010, 06:18
Ugly area to bushwhack. He is lucky. Tasty knee from the looks of it.

rickb
06-02-2010, 18:40
Good to hear they found him.

More on the story here: http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2010/06/02/lost_ohio_hiker_in_maine_learned_to_stay_on_paths/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Latest+news

Wrangler88
06-02-2010, 18:44
That's good news to hear.

TIDE-HSV
06-02-2010, 19:02
He needs a restraining order, keeping him out of all wilderness.

Shutterbug
06-02-2010, 19:47
Good to hear they found him.

More on the story here: http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2010/06/02/lost_ohio_hiker_in_maine_learned_to_stay_on_paths/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Latest+news

Just think of the time and effort that would have been saved if this hiker had only carried a SPOT.

Sierra Echo
06-02-2010, 19:48
Just think of the time and effort that would have been saved if this hiker had only carried a SPOT.

Whats a SPOT?

Rocket Jones
06-02-2010, 19:52
I feel for the rescuer who dislocated her knee looking for this guy. Hopefully he didn't get lost by being stupid.

Shutterbug
06-02-2010, 19:52
Whats a SPOT?

A Spot is a sattelite GPS Messenger. You can read about it here:

http://www.findmespot.com

I carry one when I hike, even on a day hike.

Sierra Echo
06-02-2010, 20:38
A Spot is a sattelite GPS Messenger. You can read about it here:

http://www.findmespot.com

I carry one when I hike, even on a day hike.

Thank you!

Praha4
06-02-2010, 22:04
maybe its that same guy who got lost on Springer back in early March and they had to send out the search parties after he activated his emergency beacon

TJ aka Teej
06-03-2010, 07:10
"Hays is an experienced hiker who was well prepared for a dayhike on the mountain."

He had no map. The photo shows a bookbag and WalMart firstaid kit. He was so "prepared" that he "said didn’t know what to expect in Baxter when he arrived on Friday".
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/144979.html
I spoke with a member of the SAR team. The hiker has told several versions of his story, few of which match up with the actual times, conditions, and terrain.
Personally, I doubt he ever made it to Baxter Peak in the first place.

Deadeye
06-03-2010, 08:21

Just think of the time and effort that would have been saved if this idiot had stayed on the trail.

Deerleg
06-03-2010, 08:24
“That’s it. I have to get rescued now. I am down to my last granola bar.”
...Wow that's when your in real trouble:o...

Hays had a compass, a good flashlight, lots of clothes, food and water, a first aid kit and a pocket knife, but no flint stone, matches, bug repellent or detailed trail map. He thought that his cell phone would get a signal when the park has little coverage and he left his GPS system in his car, he said.

Seriously, I'm glad he is OK and I hope we can all be wise and learn from another's folly.
Based on the interview he readily admits his poor judgment and undoubtedly learned a hard lesson.

Mags
06-03-2010, 08:42

.....or if he didn't take a 'shortcut', or had a map and knew how to use it? :D

Pedaling Fool
06-03-2010, 08:57
I like how these threads evolve. They always start prayers to the family and end with damning the sinner to hell:D

Mags
06-03-2010, 09:40
I like how these threads evolve. They always start prayers to the family and end with damning the sinner to hell:D

Sounds like my Catholic upbringing! :D

woodsy
06-03-2010, 10:24
I liked this lost in Baxter Park (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/110867.html)story better
This 12 yr. old found his own way out after walking 35 miles and 9 days later.

Jack Tarlin
06-03-2010, 10:48
This thread is instructive, especially to the "experienced" veteran hikers who come here several times a year to tell newbies again and again that you don't need maps when hiking on or near the A.T.

Nobody ever plans on getting lost or hurt, folks. But it happens more often than you might think,and Maine is a REALLY lousy place to be in when it does.

Kerosene
06-03-2010, 11:34
Sounds like my Catholic upbringing! :DThose five words explain so much, Mags. ;)

SGT Rock
06-03-2010, 11:51
After reading the thread, I get it that the SPOT is for guys that don't know what they are doing. If you do know what you are doing and follow normal sane practices you won't need one.

Reminds me of the guy that activated the SPOT on Springer Mountain earlier this year because he ended up on the BMT instead of the AT. If he had just walked another mile he would have been back on the AT. Maps, ain't they grand.

kanga
06-03-2010, 12:18
After reading the thread, I get it that the SPOT is for guys that don't know what they are doing. If you do know what you are doing and follow normal sane practices you won't need one.

Reminds me of the guy that activated the SPOT on Springer Mountain earlier this year because he ended up on the BMT instead of the AT. If he had just walked another mile he would have been back on the AT. Maps, ain't they grand.
brain cells. use them.

SGT Rock
06-03-2010, 12:31
Imagine spending $8 on a map and continuing your hike safely, or $100 on a SPOT so you can end one when you get lost.

max patch
06-03-2010, 12:42
The real reason people buy the SPOT is to tell mommy at nite that they are safe and sound.

prain4u
06-03-2010, 13:08
Possessing a map and a compass is not enough--you actually need to know how to use the two items (and how to use them together).

Over the years, I have encountered lots of people who have bought and carried a map and a compass--but were still pretty much clueless regarding how to use them (even at a very basic level). Taking the time to really learn how to use a map and compass can sometimes be a lifesaver.

Shutterbug
06-03-2010, 14:17
The real reason people buy the SPOT is to tell mommy at nite that they are safe and sound.

That is the only use I have ever had for a SPOT, but it is nice to know that if I ever do have a problem the 911 feature is available.

Two weeks ago, a guy I was hiking with took a fall (haven't we all?). We were 15 miles from the closest road. Fortunately, he didn't break anything, but if he had been seriously injured, the SPOT might have been the difference between life and death.

This particualr thread is about a hiker who made a serious mistake. If he had been carrying a SPOT, he would have been located immediately and a lot of trouble and cost would have been avoided.

I certainly agree with those who suggest that people who don't make mistakes don't need the SPOT. I just don't know any of those people.

SGT Rock
06-03-2010, 14:20
I think lots of us have made mistakes. But lots of us also don't have SPOTS. We are still alive and healthy.

I know someone who shall remain nameless who needed rescue off Katahdin. He had a cell phone and a map. He called for help, was able to give details about his problems, and they were able to get right to him. They also invited him to never come back.

He didn't have a SPOT either.