PDA

View Full Version : Random observations from a prep hike

sir limpsalot
05-31-2010, 09:11
I just did a 2 day, 17 mile hike on the Annapolis Rocks section of the AT. Tented at Ensign Cowell shelter. Temps in mid 90's with high humidity, no rain. I took what I have for a summer kit as though for thru-hike. Weight was #37 fully loaded. Here are some thoughts I came away with.

I need to lose 5# more pack weight, and I know how to do it.
Hiking in really hot weather is hard, but doable. You kinda get used to it.
There really are millions of bugs out in the summer; you can see and hear them everywhere...but they're not all hanging out waiting for a hiker to walk into the woods so they can feast. I was surprised how little bothered I was by bugs, considering.
Its good to have something else to wear when you get to camp, so you can hang your sweat soggy clothes up to dry.
No matter how level a tent sight looks, check carefully for slant and orient your tent accordingly.
Sil-nylon is very slippery.
It's surprising how many thru-hikers smoke. A pack of cigarettes works great to break the ice.
Rattlesnakes are not always found sunning themselves in the middle of the path, or in a shady crevice under that likely-looking rock your about to step over. Sometimes rattlesnakes are in the thick vegetation right at the edge of the narrow trail.
Sometimes rattlesnakes are green.
If rattlesnakes are more afraid of me than I am of them, they don't show it.
It's a challenge to find where to keep my trash in my pack so it doesn't get crushed, punctured and spooge other stuff in my pack. How do others secure and carry their trash?
It may look retro-70's to roll my bandanna and wrap it around my forehead, but it really keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
It really surprised me to see how many 20 somethin's are out backpacking (not thru-hikers). It's great to see the new generation so involved in the pasttime.

Spokes
05-31-2010, 09:30
I've seen lots of people use "trash sacks" that are way too small. So I started using one of those 5 gallon slider ziplock bags for trash. The extra larger size allows the trash to fold flatter and form better inside my backpack. Of course you have to make sure all the air is pressed out.

Pedaling Fool
05-31-2010, 09:42
I need to lose 5# more pack weight, and I know how to do it. Your body will get use to it; isn't there a rule-of-thumb for how much money it costs to drop packweight per pound. Take up weightlifting, it's cheaper and builds a healthy body.

Hiking in really hot weather is hard, but doable. You kinda get used to it. The body does get use to that as well, but I know the feeling. We had a very cold winter (record breaking) and our climate thus far has been very mild, but on the few occassions we had hot temps I felt it really bad -- I just need to get use to the heat again, been spoiled by the mild temps.

There really are millions of bugs out in the summer; you can see and hear them everywhere...but they're not all hanging out waiting for a hiker to walk into the woods so they can feast. I was surprised how little bothered I was by bugs, considering. Bugs are the worse thing for me. They seem to be attracted to me, I even got bit by something in Georgia while it was cold out. Caused a bump on my back that protruded ~1 inch (literally). I don't know what it was.

Its good to have something else to wear when you get to camp, so you can hang your sweat soggy clothes up to dry. True.

No matter how level a tent sight looks, check carefully for slant and orient your tent accordingly. True

It's surprising how many thru-hikers smoke. A pack of cigarettes works great to break the ice. True

Rattlesnakes are not always found sunning themselves in the middle of the path, or in a shady crevice under that likely-looking rock your about to step over. Sometimes rattlesnakes are in the thick vegetation right at the edge of the narrow trail. True. I nearly stepped on one next to the trail and did step on one in tall grass. Both times were in SNP.

It's a challenge to find where to keep my trash in my pack so it doesn't get crushed, punctured and spooge other stuff in my pack. How do others secure and carry their trash? What kind of trash do you have? I always throw all food-stuff in the woods (not near camp).

It may look retro-70's to roll my bandanna and wrap it around my forehead, but it really keeps the sweat out of my eyes. True

Blissful
05-31-2010, 10:40
I'd rather break the ice by lugging in a soda or some snacks. A pack of cigarettes doesn't help their health one iota.

Tin Man
05-31-2010, 10:44
I'd rather break the ice by lugging in a soda or some snacks. A pack of cigarettes doesn't help their health one iota.

prolly slow you down on those NH and ME uphills as well...and i have seen thru's smoking in the whites and complaining how hard it was. doh!

sir limpsalot
05-31-2010, 12:49
[QUOTE=john gault;1018358]

What kind of trash do you have? I always throw all food-stuff in the woods (not near camp).

freezer-bag cooking or foil backpacking meals always seem to have a little liquid left in the packaging...enuf when ziplock trashbag mis-handled and leaks, it can get nasty in the summer heat.

Rick500
05-31-2010, 13:39
I just got back from a 2 1/2 day 30 mile shakedown hike in Red River Gorge (Kentucky). I was going to post something similar to your post, but I'm glad you posted this -- I'll add my own observations here to yours and we can keep it in one place.

I carried a 29 pound pack, including 3 days of food and 4 liters of water. Temps were in the mid to upper 80s, and only a light sprinkle of rain for maybe a half hour the second night. Very humid the whole time though.

I need to lose 5# more pack weight, and I know how to do it. I was pretty happy with 29 pounds -- I did learn quickly how to properly wear and adjust my pack though. I have an Osprey Aether 60. After the first couple miles, I realized I was wearing the hip belt way too low. Once I moved it up so that the middle of the belt was on the iliac crest, and adjusted the load lifter straps pretty much all the way in, it was a breeze to carry.
Hiking in really hot weather is hard, but doable. You kinda get used to it. Completely agree. Keep drinking water, a sip here and a sip there.
There really are millions of bugs out in the summer; you can see and hear them everywhere...but they're not all hanging out waiting for a hiker to walk into the woods so they can feast. I was surprised how little bothered I was by bugs, considering. I carried a few Off! towelettes. Only used one the whole time, reapplied from the same one once or twice a day.
Its good to have something else to wear when you get to camp, so you can hang your sweat soggy clothes up to dry. I carried a lightweight Polartec top and bottom (long sleeves and long bottoms) just for sleeping and for around camp (shorts over long underwear if needed).
No matter how level a tent sight looks, check carefully for slant and orient your tent accordingly. I had an issue with this the second night. Easy to find a 'level' spot relative to the rest of the nearby ground, only to find that it's still not near level when you pitch the tent. That was the first time I wished I had a hammock instead.
Sil-nylon is very slippery. I painted some big circles of silicone thinned with mineral spirits on the floor of my Tarptent, but still had sliding issues with my sleeping pad when I pitched on a spot that wasn't really level.
It's surprising how many thru-hikers smoke. A pack of cigarettes works great to break the ice.
Rattlesnakes are not always found sunning themselves in the middle of the path, or in a shady crevice under that likely-looking rock your about to step over. Sometimes rattlesnakes are in the thick vegetation right at the edge of the narrow trail. I was surprised at the lack of wildlife I encountered... lots of birds and a few deer, but that was about it. I'm sure there was more, but I wasn't observant enough to pick them out.
Sometimes rattlesnakes are green.
If rattlesnakes are more afraid of me than I am of them, they don't show it.
It's a challenge to find where to keep my trash in my pack so it doesn't get crushed, punctured and spooge other stuff in my pack. How do others secure and carry their trash? I didn't do much cooking, just some mac/cheese and oatmeal and coffee from time to time. All my trash was pretty much paper packaging. I just put it in a plastic bag inside my food bag.
It may look retro-70's to roll my bandanna and wrap it around my forehead, but it really keeps the sweat out of my eyes. I love my Mountain Hardwear wicking ball cap for the same reason.
It really surprised me to see how many 20 somethin's are out backpacking (not thru-hikers). It's great to see the new generation so involved in the pasttime.

And to add a few more things...

Goes without saying, but pay close attention to your water supply. I *thought* I had at least 2 liters left in my Camelbak at one point when I in fact had about half a liter. I passed a stream where I should have refilled but didn't, and could very easily have gotten into a bad situation if I hadn't been lucky and made it to the next place to refill, with about 2 ounces left. I will never again assume how much I 'must' have left; I'll take the Camelbak out and be absolutely sure.

Zero change in elevation over a trail does not necessarily mean you won't be going sharply uphill half the time. :)

Pedaling Fool
05-31-2010, 13:52
[QUOTE=john gault;1018358]

What kind of trash do you have? I always throw all food-stuff in the woods (not near camp).
freezer-bag cooking or foil backpacking meals always seem to have a little liquid left in the packaging...enuf when ziplock trashbag mis-handled and leaks, it can get nasty in the summer heat.
I've never done any freezer-bag cooking, but sounds like something I would NOT do; I understand it's a matter of convienence and I don't want to preach, but to me it's not worth the plastic garbage generated.

Jeff
05-31-2010, 15:13

Always glad to see this too. A few screwballs, but most are really interesting people.

sir limpsalot
05-31-2010, 16:39
One other thing I hadn't initially mentioned: as i shared the shelter picnic table with a thru-hiker making lunch...he extolled how alchohol was the choice for minimum weight. I'm not convinced. He states his stove was an ounce, his windscreen under 2 oz, his 8 oz of fuel came in at 6.5 oz. He told me 1oz of fuel boils the water he needs for his meal: 8 meals. My giga power weighs 3.5 oz, one cannister is 6.5 oz, and I imagine I could get the same amount of boils out of one cannister and my snow peak mini-solo pot. Where exactly is the significant weight savings?

FritztheCat
05-31-2010, 17:03
I take a gallon ziplock bag for my trash. Most of my stuff folds down and compresses pretty good inside the bag. Once zipped, I just place it back in my food bag so it gets hung with the food at night.

I agree with you about alcohol stoves. Just don't see an advantage (for me) in using one considering there really isn't that much weight savings. I know it all adds up and some folks really love their alcohol stoves. Personally, I think I'm probably too clumsy to use one and can see myself spilling the contents everywhere, if not improperly putting the lid back on the Heat bottle and spewing alcohol all over my pack. :)

bigcranky
05-31-2010, 19:44
He told me 1oz of fuel boils the water he needs for his meal: 8 meals. My giga power weighs 3.5 oz, one cannister is 6.5 oz, and I imagine I could get the same amount of boils out of one cannister and my snow peak mini-solo pot. Where exactly is the significant weight savings?

If all you are doing is boiling 2 cups of water, you should be able to get almost twice as many meals from a small (4 oz net) canister. I find about 1/4 ounce of canister fuel will boil two cups of water under moderate conditions.

One major advantage to alcohol is being able to see how much fuel you have, and top off your bottle. Having to carry an extra canister on a medium length trip (or "just in case") helps kill any weight savings.

Blissful
05-31-2010, 20:11
Alcohol is fine if all you plan to do is boil water. But I like some cooking too with my food to get the right consistency and flavor. Hence my fav - the pocket rocket (of which the same one is going for AT hike #2 this year that I carried in '07)

sir limpsalot
05-31-2010, 21:41
[. Having to carry an extra canister on a medium length trip (or "just in case") helps kill any weight savings.[/QUOTE]

keeping the context of a thru-hike, and, as you observed from what sounded like experience- you should be a fair judge of fuel required and be able to ditch a low cannister when in town every so many days and be on the trail with only one cannister at a time. Perhaps not so economical as alchohol...but there are also many advantages to a cannister stove that are not in play here when only discussing weight advantage.

sbhikes
05-31-2010, 23:50
Why don't you just rinse your bags out after you eat. Then they will be clean and not leaking anything. If my pack was 37lbs I would be wanting to lose something closer to 27lbs, not 5.

sir limpsalot
06-01-2010, 21:01
Why don't you just rinse your bags out after you eat. Then they will be clean and not leaking anything. If my pack was 37lbs I would be wanting to lose something closer to 27lbs, not 5.

the spring was .25 miles the wrong direction. As to pack weight, I'm 6'1- 230#...I'll manage a little more than 10# on my back without fussing.

Old Hiker
06-01-2010, 21:24
Alcohol is fine if all you plan to do is boil water. But I like some cooking too with my food to get the right consistency and flavor. Hence my fav - the pocket rocket (of which the same one is going for AT hike #2 this year that I carried in '07)

Hey, Blissful!

I know it's all relative, but what cooking did you do and how long did your canisters last? I have a Pocket Rocket (and the Coleman look-alike) and I've come across some 16 oz Brunton canisters that cost the same as the Coleman/Snow Peak 8 ouncers - $5. Got a week long section hike with the Scouts this Aug (only 60 miles, but they are slow) and will be cooking for 2. Last year, I got by just boiling water with one 8 ounce canister for two.

mattack
06-02-2010, 13:50
[QUOTE=sir limpsalot;1018407]
I've never done any freezer-bag cooking, but sounds like something I would NOT do; I understand it's a matter of convienence and I don't want to preach, but to me it's not worth the plastic garbage generated.

Is your trail food not packaged? Or do you just go to the bulk food section of the grocery store and shake a little in the bottom of your pack? I'm not sure how freezer bag cooking generates more plastic waste than most other packaged foods...plus I re-use 50% of my used food bags for some purpose or another while on the trail. Can't do that with a ramen wrapper.

Mountain Wildman
06-02-2010, 17:47
I have a 5 Liter Outdoor Research Lightweight Dry Sack designated for trash, It is more puncture resistant than a zip lock and not real heavy at only 1.7oz. I use a ziploc like most but then put that in the dry sack, roll and secure the snap buckle.
Extra weight yes, but not much and worth the piece of mind.

ozt42
06-02-2010, 19:04
For trash I plan ahead and repackage most everything with the aim of eliminating the trash that I have to carry out. Plus I burn everything that will catch fire along the way. Fish the foil out of the ashes when its done burning.

sir limpsalot
06-02-2010, 19:15
I have a 5 Liter Outdoor Research Lightweight Dry Sack designated for trash, It is more puncture resistant than a zip lock and not real heavy at only 1.7oz. I use a ziploc like most but then put that in the dry sack, roll and secure the snap buckle.
Extra weight yes, but not much and worth the piece of mind.

just caught on to these! comes to mind that should trash get to the full or messy side- could be strapped to outside of pack without the clear ziplocks making one look like a walking trash dump.

Pedaling Fool
06-19-2010, 10:40
[QUOTE=mattack;1018418]

Is your trail food not packaged? Or do you just go to the bulk food section of the grocery store and shake a little in the bottom of your pack? I'm not sure how freezer bag cooking generates more plastic waste than most other packaged foods...plus I re-use 50% of my used food bags for some purpose or another while on the trail. Can't do that with a ramen wrapper.
I wasn't saying that I'm anti-plastic. Although, I do try and stay away from ramen-type foods and buy in bulk. I'm not much of an "environmentalist", but I am disgusted by the amount of plastic we use, it's great stuff, but there's got to be a limit.

[QUOTE=mattack;1018418]
I'm not sure how freezer bag cooking generates more plastic waste than most other packaged foods...plus I re-use 50% of my used food bags for some purpose or another while on the trail.
I also reuse much of my plastic bags, I still have plastic bags from years ago, but the truth is most people just throw them away.

Isn't that the primary purpose of FBC? Most say they were sick of cleaning their pot, but don't you still have to clean the bag? Unless of course you just throw it out and that's how I see it as increasing one's use of plastic.

sbhikes
06-25-2010, 11:33
Yeah, freezer bag cooking uses more plastic because the food was repackaged from its original wrapper and then the bags are thrown away. I have yet to meet anyone who reuses the ziplocks. My friend who does fbc cuts the corner of the bag and sucks the food out so the bag isn't reusable.

I buy bulk pasta and repackage it in ziplocks for individual meals. I cook the meal in my pot. I can reuse the ziplock for another meal indefinitely until the bag breaks.

I cook long-cooking, thick, dense pasta on my alcohol stove. It comes out great. You just bring the water to boiling and put in the pasta. If there's any alcohol still burning, let it boil for another minute or two. Then wrap the pot up in your warm hat or fleece and wait 15 - 20 minutes or up to 2 hours (I sometimes like to cook and then walk another hour or two before I eat). Your pasta will be perfect. I like to use Orzo, which looks like rice.