PDA

View Full Version : How's this for irony

flybynight
05-31-2010, 19:40
So I was all set to go up to Baxter on 6-3, but on 5-26 I had to have emergency surgery to repair a hernia that I had no idea I even had and an appendectomy also! I now have 15 staples mid-line, can't even walk around my neighborhood w/o being exhausted and I am devastated. Everyone is saying hike is not gonna happen this year. Doc says July but I find that hard to believe. I mean, I already quit my job, pack is ready, everything!

Anyone had any experience w/ similar situations? Is a July start realistic? I know not for the whole trail but maybe half or part. This sucks but thank God it did not happen on the trail.

Thanks.

wcgornto
05-31-2010, 19:50
If Doc says July, go with the Doc. I would consider starting on less rugged terrain than Maine. A NOBO start from say Delaware Water Gap would allow more healing before aggressive boulder scrambling and steep ridge climbing. You could then flip back to the starting point and continue SOBO.

Blissful
05-31-2010, 20:02
Give it six weeks for total recovery and you should be set to go. Just get the gear ready for December in the Smokies. Go for it! :)

But the flip flop idea is a good one also, as it is rugged up in NE.

sbhikes
05-31-2010, 21:55
Sounds like major abdominal surgery. I had a hysterectomy and the recovery time was 6 weeks. My doc said during recovery to walk as much as possible. The first time I could barely make it back from the mailbox. In a few weeks I was walking miles all over town. After 6 weeks I was able to go for a 15 mile bike ride but I had trouble pushing a vacuum. I could go hiking. I was a lot slower than I used to be but I could still out-hike most people. I probably would have had some trouble with the hip belt on my pack, but otherwise I was cleared to resume all activity. I was 39 at the time so if you are younger, you'll probably heal at least as well as I did, if not better.

warraghiyagey
05-31-2010, 21:57
I'd call it more unfortunate than ironic. . . . happy healing. . . :)

garlic08
05-31-2010, 22:18
The six weeks sounds about right. I had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery four months before I thru hiked the PCT, and I felt fine training seriously after two months. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but if all goes well, and you're healthy to start with, recovery should be swift. Best of luck. I literally have felt your pain.

NotYet
05-31-2010, 22:37
We intentionally started our thru-hike on July 18...black flies and mud usually no longer big issues by then, and fall/winter hiking in the Southern Appalachians is great (way better than spring here in my opinion).

If you are actually recovered by July, I think it's an ideal time start!

M1 Thumb
06-01-2010, 07:39
I would consider it more fortunate than ironic. I don't know what kind of hernia you had or its location and couple that with an appendectomy, things could have gotten really nasty on the trail.

At the very least, out-of-network medical costs would strike fear into most mortals.

the goat
06-01-2010, 09:47
july is a great time to start a sobo hike!