PDA

View Full Version : Shamwow!

trailangelbronco
06-01-2010, 03:11
Ok, so I had a idea and decided to replace my packtowel with a 8x10 piece of shamwow that I bought at the fair.

Rained for four days straight recently on a trip, and my tent was condensation central the whole time. The shamwow handled constant wiping of the interior, drying me off multiple times, wiping up dinner spills and even quick drying of the tent before packing each day. The damn thing is so thin and light, but holds so much water.

small thing, but so are our packs and thought that I would pass it on. Get one.

hellomolly
06-01-2010, 07:43
Vince Shlomi, is that you? ;)

Seriously though... I carry a shamwow-type towel and agree, they're very effective.

chelko
06-01-2010, 10:46
I also use the Shamwow and decided to get a Slapchop for my cook kit.

Spokes
06-01-2010, 11:39
I recently found some Shamwow knockoffs at the dollar store and bought a bunch of them (Sweet!). So far, in side by side tests, they've performed the same.

RGB
06-01-2010, 11:43
I also use the Shamwow and decided to get a Slapchop for my cook kit.

zucchini, linguini, martini, bikini

trailangelbronco
06-01-2010, 12:04
You don't really give importance of towel much thought until you are in four days of constant rain, then it becomes a constant part of your life.

Weird.

Doctari
06-01-2010, 13:04
Side by side test, repeated at least 6 times:
Subject #1: "Camp Towel" from a local backpacking store, 8" x 8"
Subject #2: Sham Wow, 6" x 6"
Test conditions: 1/2 gallon water in a bucket . Water squeezed in to graduated glass bowl on a level surface. Each "rag" was dropped from 4" above the water in the bucket & left for a timed amount (30 to 60 seconds depending on the test, each was in for an identical time per test), The "rag" was then squeezed dry into the graduated bowl, as evenly as I could manage.

Results: Both performed equally in each test, yielding just over 3/8 Cup of water average. The Sham wow seemed to absorb just a little quicker, but with the primitive methods I was using, there was no way to really tell.

Test #1 was done with both subjects fully dry, the rest were done with a damp cloth.

MY conclusion: as the Sham Wow was slightly smaller & absorbed the same amount, I went with the Sham wow for camp chores, & added 2 3" x 3" pieces for "Personal use".

(sorry, I forgot to weigh them, now can't find the camp towel, but the Sham Wow felt lighter)

Jonnycat
06-02-2010, 00:08
You know the Germans always make good stuff.

Joker4ink
06-02-2010, 00:20
I bring the small, blue Shamwow and works fine. I thought the large yellow ones would work better than they do though.

Rick500
06-02-2010, 00:30
I carry about a 6" x 10" piece of (the generic equivalent to) Shamwow, and use it all the time. Very much worth the negligible weight, IMO.

Spokes
06-02-2010, 09:19
You know the Germans always make good stuff.

Let's see......... ShamWow's and Bier. That's a start!

JAK
06-02-2010, 09:34
Here's to all the tuna fish!
They make a very boring dish.
Americans - spend another dime!
Skinny again, one slap at a time.

Panzer1
06-02-2010, 09:46
yea, I've brought one and found it useful for wiping down the inside of the tent, especially the tent poles. It does a real good job of removing the condensation. Although before my last section hike when I weighed my pack it was so heavy that I decided to leave the ShamWow and a few other things at home to save some weight.

Panzer