PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a Flip-Flop

Scruffy
06-01-2010, 11:03
Hi All

I made it to Damascus, VA and had to get off the trail for a while. I am having to stay off abit longer than I was hoping for so I am looking at doing a flip flop starting in August. I have a few questions.

1. What is the weather like in Maine in August

2. Should I pack for snow and temps below 30 degrees

3. Will any of the hostels or resupply points be closed due me being late into the hiker season

4. Is there a ride from the Bangor bus station to Baxter State Park.

5. Can I carry my full loaded pack on the bus, ( cannister fuel )

I also welcome any advice from other flipfloppers and southbounders

Thanks
SCRUFFY

fredmugs
06-01-2010, 11:57
I section hiked a good chunk of Maine in August of 2005.

1. Weather was awesome (highs around 70, lows above freezing, no snow anywhere). Your results may vary.

2. No - but expect it to be cold and windy on Katahdin.

3. No - not in Maine.

4. Don't know

5. HELL NO.

RGB
06-01-2010, 12:05
Hi All

I made it to Damascus, VA and had to get off the trail for a while. I am having to stay off abit longer than I was hoping for so I am looking at doing a flip flop starting in August. I have a few questions.

1. What is the weather like in Maine in August

2. Should I pack for snow and temps below 30 degrees

3. Will any of the hostels or resupply points be closed due me being late into the hiker season

4. Is there a ride from the Bangor bus station to Baxter State Park.

5. Can I carry my full loaded pack on the bus, ( cannister fuel )

I also welcome any advice from other flipfloppers and southbounders

Thanks
SCRUFFY

4. I'm planning for a SOBO. I know there are several different companies that run shuttles to Baxter from the Bangor airport. Several may be an exaggeration, more like a couple. From what I remember, the prices were steep, but how else are you going to get there? Just use google and they'll pop up. Don't get discouraged by your long break, it's better to get back on the trail and be refreshed and happy to be there than miserable. Good luck!