PDA

View Full Version : Hubba Hubba rain fly question

sherrill
06-01-2010, 14:50
Quick question for anyone who owns one - has your rain fly developed (or always had) a somewhat "tacky", sticky feel on the underside? Also, it appears that the seam tape might be coming loose from the fly as well. The tent is 3 years old.

I kept the tent in the stuff sack in my house for the first year (unfortunately, due to my sister's illness I was not able to do any hiking after it was purchased) but have taken it out numerous times since then. Each time it has been cleaned and completely aired out. I can't say when I first noticed it.

Knock on wood, we've stayed dry every trip out in it, and I plan to give it a garden hose test before our section this year. :D I'm just curious to see if other folks have the same issue.

Jack Tarlin
06-01-2010, 14:58
Mine's 2 years old and I've never had a problem with it.

Pedaling Fool
06-01-2010, 15:00
Quick question for anyone who owns one - has your rain fly developed (or always had) a somewhat "tacky", sticky feel on the underside? Also, it appears that the seam tape might be coming loose from the fly as well. The tent is 3 years old.

I kept the tent in the stuff sack in my house for the first year (unfortunately, due to my sister's illness I was not able to do any hiking after it was purchased) but have taken it out numerous times since then. Each time it has been cleaned and completely aired out. I can't say when I first noticed it.

Knock on wood, we've stayed dry every trip out in it, and I plan to give it a garden hose test before our section this year. :D I'm just curious to see if other folks have the same issue.
Disclaimer: I own a Kelty Teton 2.

Just curious what did you use (if anything) besides water to clean it?

sherrill
06-01-2010, 15:11
Just curious what did you use (if anything) besides water to clean it?

Nope, just a damp cloth (water) to get mud spatter off.

Franco
06-01-2010, 19:21
Sounds like the PU ( polyurethane) coating is deteriorating. Search this on the net.
Start with McNett products.
Franco

FritztheCat
06-01-2010, 21:44
Mine is about a year old and I've used it 15-20 times, haven't noticed a problem. Hope the garden hose test works out for you, it's an awesome tent!

Blissful
06-01-2010, 22:15
No problem with ours and its fairly old. Might email MSR about it for suggestions.

sherrill
06-02-2010, 07:49
Thanks everyone for your input. I figured something was off with the fly but just wanted to double check with other owners just to make sure.

I do plan to contact MSR to see what they suggest, and since I purchased the tent at REI I can go to them if needed.

No Pepsi
06-04-2010, 16:41
Mine has that problem. I have attributed it to be kept in a storage shed where it is hot. I'm looking to see if I can replace the rain fly and keep the new one in a better environment. If anyone knows why it has gotten sticky I'm interested in hearing it. NP

crazyonelost
06-04-2010, 20:25
I was looking in the Hubba Hubba Tent myself. Is the set up easy and quick? any problems that could happen? How is the weight vrs other tents? How you like yours in general?

Franco
06-04-2010, 21:49
"Mine has that problem. I have attributed it to be kept in a storage shed where it is hot. I'm looking to see if I can replace the rain fly and keep the new one in a better environment. If anyone knows why it has gotten sticky I'm interested in hearing it. NP"

I think that post 5 gives a bit of a clue...
anyway... from MSR :

One of the easiest ways to damage your tent is not drying it as quickly as possible whenever it gets wet. Storing a wet tent as short as 24 hours in warm weather is likely to start the process of mildew forming on the fabric. Mildew can permanently damage the waterproof coatings by causing them to separate from the fabric, but mild to severe staining is more common. Mildew stains are permanent. They cannot be removed without potential harm to the fabric coatings and are not covered by warranty. Even when your tent appears to be dry after use, it is always best to unfold and assure it is completely dry before storing. This can be achieved by hanging it outside or even leaving loosely clumped in your house for a few days, turning it inside and out to assure it has dried everywhere. Never machine dry your tent as the heat can melt the fabric.

Franco

sherrill
06-07-2010, 12:30
Update: No Pepsi took the lead and called Cascade Designs, they will exchange the fly under warranty if there are no signs of mildew damage (which mine does not have). I called this morning and got an RA#.

Thanks for the info, NP!