PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering in Maine this summer

Amp34
06-01-2010, 15:47
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, there doesn't seem to be a forum for Trail crew/volunteering that I can see!

I am planning on coming over from the UK for a few weeks to work on one of the trail crews but before I confirm and decide firmly what I want to do I was wondering if people with some experience of working in the crews and specifically in Maine could perhaps give me some idea of what i'm letting myself in for. :D

Obviously I've read the information on the AT site and had a browse through this forum along with a couple of other places. I've also been in touch with the supervisors but would like to know a little more.

I have experience working outside (various landscaping and building work in the UK and abroad) as well as some experience walking in the UK and europe (from sunny Pyrenees to rainy Scotland), mostly day hiking however. One of the opportunities available is the working with West Peak Whitecap crew, which is listed as most difficult. Normally I'd jump at that sort of thing and see it as a nice challenge however I don't want to let myself in for 3 weeks something far above what i'm capable of.:p As I haven't done any work on the trail before I don't know where the levels are set, so what does most difficult actually mean?

Also what is it like working in the crews? Do people normally stay for more than one week? What do you do in the evenings and weekends (if working more than one week?

I'm also very keen on photography so would obviously like to bring a camera and a couple of lenses along, is that a good idea or monumentally stupid?

There is mention of some kit provided but what would I need to bring along, do I need to bring my own tent or just sleeping bag, bag and mat etc.?

Sorry, loads of probably silly questions but I just want to know a few things before I sign my life away.:p

:)

WalkinHome
06-01-2010, 17:34
It sounds like you have read some of the MATC web site, matc.org. If not please check out the Maine Trail Crew section under volunteer opportunities as it is a good description of what it is like. You are a young person so I would think that you would be up to whatever work trip(s) you choose (unless you are grossly out of shape). The harder levels require harder hikes into the work site and stone work can be trying. The crews spend a work week camping at or close to the work site and come back to civilization on weekends (their workweek is configured to allow MATC members to work with the crews so Saturday and Sunday are actually part of your workweek with your weekend being during the "normal" week. Scour the website for more information. Good luck and thanks for your interest.

Shutterbug
06-01-2010, 18:15
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, there doesn't seem to be a forum for Trail crew/volunteering that I can see!

I am planning on coming over from the UK for a few weeks to work on one of the trail crews but before I confirm and decide firmly what I want to do I was wondering if people with some experience of working in the crews and specifically in Maine could perhaps give me some idea of what i'm letting myself in for. :D

Obviously I've read the information on the AT site and had a browse through this forum along with a couple of other places. I've also been in touch with the supervisors but would like to know a little more.

I have experience working outside (various landscaping and building work in the UK and abroad) as well as some experience walking in the UK and europe (from sunny Pyrenees to rainy Scotland), mostly day hiking however. One of the opportunities available is the working with West Peak Whitecap crew, which is listed as most difficult. Normally I'd jump at that sort of thing and see it as a nice challenge however I don't want to let myself in for 3 weeks something far above what i'm capable of.:p As I haven't done any work on the trail before I don't know where the levels are set, so what does most difficult actually mean?

Also what is it like working in the crews? Do people normally stay for more than one week? What do you do in the evenings and weekends (if working more than one week?

I'm also very keen on photography so would obviously like to bring a camera and a couple of lenses along, is that a good idea or monumentally stupid?

There is mention of some kit provided but what would I need to bring along, do I need to bring my own tent or just sleeping bag, bag and mat etc.?

Sorry, loads of probably silly questions but I just want to know a few things before I sign my life away.:p

:)

I have not actually worked on a trail crew in Maine, but I have hiked by several. I will give you my impressions:

The crew name, "West Peak Whitecap" gets its name from the location where it will be working. Whitecap Mountain is the tallest mountain in the 100 Mile Wilderness. The crew is probably classified as "most difficult" just because the hike to the work site carrying tools will not be easy. Here is a link to my picture of the peak:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shutterbug.dave/100MileWilderness2005#5415190913152382402

My impression from talking to people on the crews is that they have a great time. Most of the time, it is not easy to tell who is "boss" because everyone is working together. The supervisors don't just stand and watch the volunteers work.

If I were a bit younger, I would be tempted to join you. Three weeks camping in the 100 Mile Wilderness will be an experience you won't forget. From you camp on Whitecap, you will be able to hear the loons on the lakes below. It is a sound you will never forget.

Go for it.

weary
06-01-2010, 21:42
The name of the crew is Maine Trail Crew, which is a combination of volunteers, and paid young people, working as the Maine Conservation Corps, I believe.

The trail crew works on a half dozen different projects over the spring and summer. Some are relatively easy. Some are relatively difficult, like the project on Whitecap.

Information about this years maintenance projects can be found at WWW.matc.org.

Weary

Amp34
06-01-2010, 21:57
Thanks to all three of you. :)

WalkinHome:

Ok, that's essentially what I thought it would probably mean and I'm sure i'm capable of that. I'm not the fittest around but I can hold my own, both whilst labouring and walking, either way, it's a good way to get fitter!:D

I hadn't actually read the actual antc site yet, i've read the main one and others (along with the brochures) so thanks for the link, that clears up a few questions. :)

Shutterbug:

Pictures look nice and they definately make me want to spend some time there. :)

As you said it'll hopefully be an experience and something i'll remember fondly when I can't just pack up and leave for a month due to work/kids/wife etc. :)

boarstone
06-02-2010, 07:33
AMP34--you'll want bug dope and head net, can purchase over here once you arrive. Bring your own tent, bag, clothes, gloves, good footwear--boot prefered as in able to hike/walk in. Bring your own drinking bottle, any extra's for yourself, toiletries, etc. Food is provided, your expected to help around base camp with chores as is the whole crew. Sooner camp is broke, sooner work on the trail gets started. Usual stuff you'd need to hike, camp with.

Amp34
06-02-2010, 09:14
Thanks for the suggestion of bug spray and hat, hadn't thought of those. The rest is fine, as you said normal camping gear. :)

Slosteppin
06-02-2010, 20:50
I'm a few years older than you and trail building and maintenance are my second favorite activities - first is backpacking.

I've not done trail work in Maine but I have in Pennsylvania, Minnesota and mostly Michigan. I will be helping to lead a volunteer crew for a week this August in Michigan.

I would suggest having a second pair of well fitting work gloves and safety glasses with good coverage of your eyes. If you get into rock work you will want the safety glasses and good leather work gloves. Work gloves are often furnished but I prefer to have my own.

Safety First is the rule with most work crews!