PDA

View Full Version : Tentsites between Boiling Springs and US-11

msujay
06-01-2010, 19:38
I know this section is through farmland, but I'm getting a late jump on Day 1 from about 6 miles south of Boiling Springs. I'm looking to do 10-14 miles on Day 1 and can't seem to find anything between Boiling Springs and US-11.

Do I have any options for throwing up a tent? Water also seems to be an issue. Any help is appreciated, as always.

ki0eh
06-01-2010, 22:11
Camping is not allowed in the Cumberland Valley except at the Sunday Farm campsite which is just SOUTH of Boiling Springs and not where you want it to be. This place is often referred to as the "midnight train" campsite due to its location right next to an active freight railroad with trains whistling for the crossing of the nearby road/A.T. at times like 2:30 am. The NPS-owned corridor is very narrow and nowadays mostly hemmed in by subdivisions - not as many farms as neighbors anymore.

On US 11/Harrisburg Pike just west of the Trail's overpass (not a fun walk among the trucks, others have been killed here) is America's Best Inn Carlisle (http://www.americasbestinncarlisle.com/) formerly the Appalachian Motor Inn.

There is a water tap around the back side of the Boiling Springs A.T. office where you can fill up.

Or you can go around behind the post office up the concrete path to the most vigorously "boiling" spring, known as The Bubble, and fill up after you shoo the ducks and geese away. If you get it from the tap at the office it's essentially the same water only chlorinated a little bit.

docllamacoy
06-03-2010, 08:31
We camped right next to one of the farms maybe a mile outside of Boiling Springs. It was a great tentsite to the right of the trail. It wasn't really our plan, but a thunderstorm rolled in. That was in '03, so I don't know if it's still there or not, but it worked for us.

ki0eh
06-03-2010, 08:46
We camped right next to one of the farms maybe a mile outside of Boiling Springs. It was a great tentsite to the right of the trail. It wasn't really our plan, but a thunderstorm rolled in. That was in '03, so I don't know if it's still there or not, but it worked for us.

If that was south of Boiling Springs and perhaps had a porta-pot at it that would most likely be the legal Sunday Farm campsite, due to narrow but dense vegetation between the site and the tracks you won't notice the train until it honks. :)