PDA

View Full Version : Women's Gear List?

SwingLow
06-01-2010, 20:30
Does anyone know of a women specific gear list I can check my gear against?

Blissful
06-01-2010, 21:42
We actually share most of the same gear as a guy. Except for a few minor things. Like I always tend to bring a few more clothing items (like some kind of insulating layer year round). I use liner pads and carry time of the month stuff. Wear a sports bra. :) And my sleeping bag tends to be a lower rating because I sleep colder (but it is a guy bag). My backpack though is a women's - a Gregory Jade
You can post your list if you want.

hellomolly
06-01-2010, 22:14
We actually share most of the same gear as a guy. Except for a few minor things. Like I always tend to bring a few more clothing items (like some kind of insulating layer year round). I use liner pads and carry time of the month stuff. Wear a sports bra. :) And my sleeping bag tends to be a lower rating because I sleep colder (but it is a guy bag). My backpack though is a women's - a Gregory Jade
You can post your list if you want.

Off topic - I just finished using my new Jade for a few weekend trips and am obsessed with it - what a great pack! For some reason, I had some lower back pain from the lumbar support system, though... somewhat troublesome. :-?

SwingLow
06-01-2010, 23:56
Thats a good idea. Here is my list.

-soap -Bonners
-cleaners (face)
-hand sanitizer
-socks (4 pairs)
-underwear (6 pairs?)
-snake bite kit
-band aids
-mosquito bracelets and repellent
-itch cream and neosporin
-2 t-shirts
-2 tank tops
-rain pants
-Convertible pants
-2 pairs of shorts
-Thermal top and underwear
-Rain Jacket
-jacket
-BELT
-2 sports bras
-dirty clothes bag
-clothes detergent (replace with Bonners)
-mini deck of cards
-brush
-chap stick
-IBprophen/seudafed
-2 flashlights –(only need one + solio adaptor)
-knife
-sunglasses
-sunscreen
-toothbrush
-vitamins
-matches
-deodorant
-athletic tape
-mirror
-ear plugs
-waterproof bags (ziploc)
-batteries
-TP
-stove
-Fuel
-wash cloth- might replace with bandana
-Bandana
-tweezers and nail clippers
-camera…might replace with phone
-duct tape
-ID/credit cards
-body glide- anti-chafe
-baby wipes
-gloves
-tent
-Pack
-camelback
-water bottle
-sleeping pad
-sleeping bag
-stuff for blisters-(moleskin)
-water filter
-water treatment tablets(backup)
-Tampons/pads
-shovel
-Compass
-cooking pan,utensils,cup
-fire starter
-Trekking Poles
-solar charger
-towel
-pillowcase (no pillow)
-rope
-Shoes
-Crocs
-Pack rain cover
-Ziploc bags
-lighter

S'mores
06-02-2010, 04:44
I'm no expert, but I just got back from 10 days on the trail. It seems like you have a lot of clothes there.
I was supposed to go with someone and he bugged out on me the day before I left, so I had to carry it all and needed to save as much weight as possible.
I had originally packed 6 pairs of underwear, and my son yelled at me and told me I wouldn't need as many. I told him I was a girl!!! I ended up only using, MAYBE 3 pair. I wore a pad which helped with keeping me cleaner, and was able to wash them as I went.
If you are bringing convertable pants, then there is no need for 2 pairs of shorts also. I met a female section hiker who had sectioned from GA up to MA and was on a 14 day stretch when I met her. She had one pair of convertables that she had brought and then her camp/sleeping clothes.
For clothes I brought 2 pairs of convertables, 2 tanks, 2 sports bras, 2 tshirts, 4 pairs of socks and 4 pairs of undies. I rotated my socks with just 2 pairs most of the time. I would hang my socks and sportsbra in my tent at night to let them dry out.
I did not see a headlamp on your list. I had brought a flashlight and 2 headlamps, a good one with multiple settings and a back up tiny one. I never used the flashlight. I brought the tiny backup headlamp so I wouldnt have to worry about batteries.
Also, I am an avid Mary Kay user, have used the cleanser and (cant live without) moisturizer for YEARS. Due to having to give stuff up, I went with JUST my dr bonners and honestly, my face came through the 10 days SO healthy and clean. You will sweat so much your face will keep itself pretty darn clean, so, you might wanna save space and give up the facial cleaner.
I only used my phone for my camera, but when my battery was low I wasnt able to use it. I had my solar charger, but wasnt able to get a really good charge most of the time, so I kept my phone off when I wasnt taking a pic or :) updating my facebook to keep my friends updated. In hindsight i would have glady taken up the space and weight and brought a camera. It was so disappointing when I saw an animal I wanted to snap, and had to wait for my phone to boot up and missed the shot, or didnt have enough batterypower to take pics till I charged back up.
Like I said, I'm no expert, but just got back Monday from 10 days. Have fun and good luck!!

skinewmexico
06-03-2010, 20:07
Off topic - I just finished using my new Jade for a few weekend trips and am obsessed with it - what a great pack! For some reason, I had some lower back pain from the lumbar support system, though... somewhat troublesome. :-?

And that's a great pack? You need to change your definition of great pack.

karoberts
06-03-2010, 21:31
My God, that is an insane amount of clothing! Way way too much!

In hot weather I carry/wear only: 2 running shorts, 1 bra, 3 socks, 1 t-shirt, 1-long sleeved shirt. When it is cold add pants, down jacket, and rain gear. That's all. Period. No need for underwear at all, much less 6 PAIR!!! I am in shock!

I do bring something else to sleep in, which is a safety issue more than a cleanliness issue in case I get cold and wet and need to change into something dry.

Other than that, your list looks pretty good. Maybe you have a few extraneous things (like a dirty clothes bag, really, everything you take will be dirty pretty soon). But you need to think about what you really NEED.

Erin
06-03-2010, 23:24
Everyone'g gear list is her or his own, since they have to carry it, but the snake bite kit is useless. If you get bit by a (hot) poisonous snake, seek medical attention and stay calm. There are more experienced herps on here than I, but I believe the tourniquet and cutting deal and sucking out the poison ala "True Grit" has been discarded. You may decide to dump clothes and deodorant and the mirror, but maybe not. It is your load to carry and your hike to hike. Have fun!

betsi
06-04-2010, 01:40
lpoo - have fun wherever you're going. i didn't see a hat or toothpaste on your list. you'll also want a foodbag (preferably waterproof). and i really like having a lightweight caribiner. based on my thru (2009), i suggest you leave the following stuff at home:

-soap -Bonners (a bandana bath can get you surprisingly clean)
-cleaners (face) (ditto and baby wipes)
-socks (only need 2-3 pairs [2 if it's hot; 3 if it's cold/wet])
-underwear (only need 2 pairs; some people would say 1; some people would say none)
-snake bite kit
-2 tank tops (you have two t-shirts)
-2 pairs of shorts (you have convertible pants)
-BELT
-1 sports bra (only need 1)
-dirty clothes bag (use a grocery store bag)
-clothes detergent
-brush (maybe bring a small comb, or chop your hair short)
-2 flashlights –(only need one + solio adaptor) (use a headlamp)
-deodorant
-athletic tape (already have duct tape)
-mirror (leave at home if it's not for safety, if you want it for safety: get a whistle that also has a mirror, compass, etc.)
-wash cloth
-tweezers and nail clippers (take a lightweight leatherman that has a knife, tweezers, scissors, etc. use scissors for your nails)
-Tampons/pads (bounce these or buy in town, no need to carry all the time)
-shovel
- cooking pan,utensils,cup - (yes, definitely bring some kind of cookware; i suggest getting a 900 ml titanium pot and using 1 utensil [i have a long-handled spoon that i love; friends who have sporks say they pretty much suck])
-fire starter
--towel (you could take a second bandana)
-pillowcase (use a stuff sack)

hellomolly
06-04-2010, 08:01
And that's a great pack? You need to change your definition of great pack.

Or maybe you need to mind your own business? :-?

SwingLow
06-05-2010, 02:05
Thanks guys, I am currently working on getting my pack weight down. My hiking partner bailed on me so now I am stuck with a 2 person tent and will definitely need all the help I can get!

jesse
06-05-2010, 02:46
lpoo - have fun wherever you're going. i didn't see a hat or toothpaste on your list. you'll also want a foodbag (preferably waterproof). and i really like having a lightweight caribiner. based on my thru (2009), i suggest you leave the following stuff at home:

-soap -Bonners (a bandana bath can get you surprisingly clean)
-cleaners (face) (ditto and baby wipes)
-socks (only need 2-3 pairs [2 if it's hot; 3 if it's cold/wet])
-underwear (only need 2 pairs; some people would say 1; some people would say none)
-snake bite kit
-2 tank tops (you have two t-shirts)
-2 pairs of shorts (you have convertible pants)
-BELT
-1 sports bra (only need 1)
-dirty clothes bag (use a grocery store bag)
-clothes detergent
-brush (maybe bring a small comb, or chop your hair short)
-2 flashlights –(only need one + solio adaptor) (use a headlamp)
-deodorant
-athletic tape (already have duct tape)
-mirror (leave at home if it's not for safety, if you want it for safety: get a whistle that also has a mirror, compass, etc.)
-wash cloth
-tweezers and nail clippers (take a lightweight leatherman that has a knife, tweezers, scissors, etc. use scissors for your nails)
-Tampons/pads (bounce these or buy in town, no need to carry all the time)
-shovel
- cooking pan,utensils,cup - (yes, definitely bring some kind of cookware; i suggest getting a 900 ml titanium pot and using 1 utensil [i have a long-handled spoon that i love; friends who have sporks say they pretty much suck])
-fire starter
--towel (you could take a second bandana)
-pillowcase (use a stuff sack)

In addition I would leave the crocs.

karoberts
06-05-2010, 10:20
Thanks guys, I am currently working on getting my pack weight down. My hiking partner bailed on me so now I am stuck with a 2 person tent and will definitely need all the help I can get!

Oh no! You need to either find a new partner or find a new tent.

Bear Cables
06-08-2010, 22:45
Thats a good idea. Here is my list.

-soap -Bonners
-cleaners (face)
-hand sanitizer
-socks (4 pairs)
-underwear (6 pairs?)
I take only one extra pair and use panty liners (2 per day) and that is for a 7 day hike
-snake bite kit
Am I mistaken but is the current first aid saying not to use snake bite kits?
-band aids
I find that a very small container of Repell with Deet was enough (at Walmart)
-itch cream and neosporin
-2 t-shirts
-2 tank tops
Maybe choose one or the other. I pack one extra short sleeve shirt and one to wear. I found out this week that I could really get by with just the one shirt as long as I have my insulating layers
-rain pants
-Convertible pants
-2 pairs of shorts
I get by with just one pair of pants. If they need to dry I put my gortex rain pants on in camp.
-Thermal top and underwear
-Rain Jacket
-jacket
-BELT
-2 sports bras
How about one to wear and one to pack
-dirty clothes bag
-clothes detergent (replace with Bonners)
-mini deck of cards
-brush
-chap stick
-IBprophen/seudafed
-2 flashlights –(only need one + solio adaptor)
-knife
-sunglasses
-sunscreen
-toothbrush
-vitamins
-matches
-deodorant
-athletic tape
-mirror
why? do you wear contacts that you need a mirror for putting them in?
-ear plugs
-batteries
-TP
-stove
-Fuel
-wash cloth- might replace with bandana
-Bandana
-camera…might replace with phone
-duct tape
-ID/credit cards
-body glide- anti-chafe
-baby wipes
-gloves
-tent
-Pack
-camelback
-water bottle
-sleeping pad
-sleeping bag
-water filter
-Tampons/pads
-shovel
-Compass
-fire starter
-Trekking Poles
-solar charger
-towel
-pillowcase (no pillow)
-rope
-Shoes
-Crocs
-Pack rain cover
-Ziploc bags
-lighter

Just my suggestions based on what i have found works well for me.

S'mores
06-10-2010, 07:22

That happened to me 2 days before the trek. I got a NorthFace Tadpole 23 before he bailed, but with the knowledge that he might. Its REALLY light weight and unless you are going to be experiencing HIDEOUS weather you only need to bring 2 stakes to keep the vestibule out (actually I ended up using sticks cause my son forgot his stakes all together when he joined me for a couple days). I wasn't sure about when I could get food so I had packed 10 days worth of food for myself. My pack started out weighing just about 50 pounds! But that was with 11 pounds of food and a full 2 liter water bladder. Enjoy the serenity!! I did!!!

SwingLow
06-10-2010, 22:33
Thanks everyone for the help, here is my updated list! I also ordered a hennessy hammock which will be half the weight of my tent.
This includes what I will be wearing.

–Bonners soap (maybe)
-athletic tape (I am guessing this will also work in the place of duct tape)
-hand sanitizer
-socks (3 pairs)
-2 liner socks
-underwear (2+1 thong)
-snake bite kit (its a suction thing that also works for stings)
-band aids
-neosporin
-2 t-shirts
-1 tank top
-rain pants
-Convertible pants
-1 pairs of shorts
-Thermal top
-thermal bottoms (in resupply box)
-Rain Jacket
-jacket
-BELT
-2 sports bras
-mini deck of cards(maybe)
-brush(no handle)
-chap stick
-IBprophen/seudafed
-2 flashlights –(i wasn't sure if a head lamp in my price range would be any brighter. right now I have a back up flash light and a flash light tip that came with my solar charger. I am debating bringing my small, but heavier heavy duty light. Do you really use them that often?)
-knife
-sunglasses
-sunscreen
-toothbrush (I am experimenting with reusing a colgate wisp as a brush and just adding tooth paste when the one-use gel is gone)
-toothpaste
-vitamins
-water proof matches
-deodorant
-body glide
-mirror (very small)
-TP(What is the difference between all the different hiking TP and is it worth it?)
-stove
-Fuel
-Bandana
-camera
-ID/credit cards
-baby wipes
-gloves(in resupply box)
-hammock
-Pack
-bladder
-water bottle
-sleeping pad
-sleeping bag
-water filter
-shovel
-Compass
-fire starter
-Trekking Poles
-solar charger
-towel
-small pillowcase (no pillow)
-rope
-Shoes
-Crocs
-Pack rain cover
-lighter

SwingLow
06-10-2010, 22:43
****I forgot that I took out the soap and put the belt in my resupply and will bring only 1 t-shirt. I do have a bag for my food. The pillow case is a small travel one and the towel is a small light weight one that I cut in half to about 10 inches.****

Blissful
06-11-2010, 08:43
take a reg toothbrush, I don't think the wisp work well enough, imo
just take duct tape, no need for moleskin, imo
Take DEET only
leave snakebite kit at home
don't need shorts (you have convertible pants) why do you need a belt?
one sports bra is all
one headlamp
reg tp is fine
need hand sanitizer
take the small bic lighter leave matches
don't need deodorant, brush (believe me, you will be regretting the weight of these things by Neel Gap. If you really want them, bounce them town to town - though not sure if you are planning a long distance hike)
get a small pocket knife that has scissors and tweezers in it
only need aqua mira, leave other treatments at home
no need for shovel
get a small titanium snow peak pot with a lid and one lexan spork (all you need)
no fire starter
our solar charger never worked, leave it at home (AT is a green tunnel)
pillowcase for what? if its cotton it will feel damp most of the time
need one long sleeve shirt you can hike in if cold (not a camp shirt), no tank top

Blissful
06-11-2010, 08:49

I had that too. The pad conforms to you after about a week or two. Make sure it fits in the small of your back right by adjusting the straps

Liv2Ride
06-11-2010, 09:24
Hey there LPoo. You're doing a great job in lightening your load but IMHO I still think that you still have too much and maybe might consider replacing a few items with something else. I could go down your list and chop it up but I won't. HYOH is the best way to know what you may have hauled for nothing and to know/wish what you should have packed and didn't.

That said, hearing the advice from the experienced and knowing when the words are actually coming from someone who has minimal or no experience with actual backpacking and being able to extract what works for you is priceless. A gear list is such a personal subject. What I concider to be a necessity may be someone else's luxury item and vise versa. There are basic must have's but aside from that even those must have's may be usless for someone else.

I hammock and tent camp and as a hanger there are unique needs for hangers that tenters are not faced with and as a woman hanger there are certain challenges that are not an issue when tent camping. There is so much to cover but putting it all in one place on one message won't work.

If you want to know as much as possible in a short period of time about hanging, go to HammockForums.net It's a wonderful place to hang around..no pun intended and learn from the nice folks on the net and the informative threads that are there for the reading.

If you want to get some ideas or feedback for something specific such as "should I carry 2 flashlights" or "should I carry an extra pair of shoes and a pair of crocs" then just ask the question and see what others say. I'm sure you'll get a mixed bag of responses and once again you'll need to make the decision that works for you.

Good luck to you, have fun and as always Hike Your Own Hike. :D

Thanks everyone for the help, here is my updated list! I also ordered a hennessy hammock which will be half the weight of my tent.

–Bonners soap (maybe)
-athletic tape (I am guessing this will also work in the place of duct tape)
-hand sanitizer
-socks (3 pairs)
-2 liner socks
-underwear (2+1 thong)
-snake bite kit (its a suction thing that also works for stings)
-band aids
-neosporin
-2 t-shirts
-1 tank top
-rain pants
-Convertible pants
-1 pairs of shorts
-Thermal top
-thermal bottoms (in resupply box)
-Rain Jacket
-jacket
-BELT
-2 sports bras
-brush(no handle)
-chap stick
-IBprophen/seudafed
-2 flashlights –(i wasn't sure if a head lamp in my price range would be any brighter. right now I have a back up flash light and a flash light tip that came with my solar charger. I am debating bringing my small, but heavier heavy duty light. Do you really use them that often?)
-knife
-sunglasses
-sunscreen
-toothbrush (I am experimenting with reusing a colgate wisp as a brush and just adding tooth paste when the one-use gel is gone)
-toothpaste
-vitamins
-water proof matches
-deodorant
-body glide
-mirror (very small)
-TP(What is the difference between all the different hiking TP and is it worth it?)
-stove
-Fuel
-Bandana
-camera
-ID/credit cards
-baby wipes
-gloves(in resupply box)
-hammock
-Pack
-bladder
-water bottle
-sleeping pad
-sleeping bag
-water filter
-shovel
-Compass
-fire starter
-Trekking Poles
-solar charger
-towel
-small pillowcase (no pillow)
-rope
-Shoes
-Crocs
-Pack rain cover
-lighter

TinaLouise
06-11-2010, 12:32

-snake bite kit (its a suction thing that also works for stings) (I would ditch this)

-mosquito bracelets and repellent (just carry some DEET)
-neosporin
-2 t-shirts (1 is probably enough)
-1 tank top
-rain pants (I use a wrap rain skirt)
-Convertible pants
-1 pairs of shorts (your convertible pants are shorts)
-Rain Jacket
-jacket (you're carrying a thermal top already, what temps are you hiking in??)
-BELT (???)
-2 sports bras (wear 1 and let dry at night, wash with Dr. Bronners soap)
-brush(no handle) (can you use a comb??)
-2 flashlights –(i wasn't sure if a head lamp in my price range would be any brighter. right now I have a back up flash light and a flash light tip that came with my solar charger. I am debating bringing my small, but heavier heavy duty light. Do you really use them that often?) (a head lamp is a must if you ever get caught still hiking after dark or have to fix your meal in the dark or set up your hammock in the dark)
-toothbrush (I am experimenting with reusing a colgate wisp as a brush and just adding tooth paste when the one-use gel is gone) (I tried these things and hated them, try it before you head out)
-deodorant (I've not met many people carrying this)
-body glide (I wear hiking skirts and wont leave home without this stuff!!)
-stove (what kind??)
-Bandana (I carry 2, these are so usefull for all kinds of chores)
-hammock (is this a double layer so you can slid your sleeping pad between the layers?)
-sleeping pad (what kind?)
-sleeping bag (does this open up enough for you to use it like a quilt inside your hammock?)
-water filter (what does this weigh? you may want to ditch it for just the water treatment tabs)
-water treatment tablets(backup) (use for your main water treatment)
-shovel (I use a tent stake)
-Compass (have you got a map???)
-solar charger (depending on where your hiking may not get enough sun, what's the difference between it and some extra batteries?)
-towel (this is where my second bandana comes in handy!!)
-small pillowcase (no pillow) (???)
-rope (what kind of rope, look for some 7/64ths Amsteel Blue it's very strong for either holding up your hammock or hanging your food)
-Shoes (I hope you're talking about hiking shoes or boots!!)
-Pack rain cover (also buy some trash compactor bags and use them as an inside the pack liner)

Your list is looking better and better!! Where I've added comments, please take them with a grain of salt, you've got to hyoh (hike your own hike)! About your switching to a hammock, please go over to the hammock forum, so much info there. Does the hennessy come with a tarp?? And bug netting? Is it one of those bottom opening ones? You will need insulation under you and please don't think that your sleeping bag will be your under insulation, it wont. When you do get your hammock, please see if you can't test it out some before heading out on your trip. There is a learning curve with these things. Any items I left off your list was because I carry them too or couldn't think of any reason not to take them. Something I do carry is a device so I can stand up to pee and not have to squat. Plus I hike in skirts instead of shorts or pants. I do carry a pair of shorts for either nite time or butt scooting over rocks. If you've got the time, try hiking in a skirt. Much less to carry too. I too use a hammock, so best of luck with yours. Remember to hang it with your feet a tad higher than your head ! Yes you read that right, feet higher!! It tends to keep you from sliding down inside the hammock at night. good luck and keep whittling away on your pack items.
TinaLouise

sbhikes
06-16-2010, 13:22
I'm female and I do not bring a change of clothes or a change of underwear. My hiking attire is a uniform, not a fashion show. I bring 3 pairs of socks and that is my only redundancy as far as clothing. It's silly to think that because you are female you have to burden yourself with tons of heavy "outfits" to wear each day. You are fooling yourself if you think that having a change of clothes means you'll be cleaner, too. In warm months you can wash your underwear and wear it dry if needed. Wash yourself after you use the bushes and you'll stay cleaner still.

Chillfactor
10-01-2010, 20:32
I won't list my winter clothes. I carried the following after June 1
Deuter 45+10 pack and rain cover
32 degree sleeping bag, 45degree when it was hotter
inflatable pad
1 person tent
small tyvek-like piece for under tent in rough areas ( I tore the tent floor on a rock so...)
2 pair shorts (1 primarily for town and travel)
3 shirts (1 for travel) -I decided I only need 2
3 pair underwear
3 pair socks 2 low, 1 crew
boxer shorts to sleep in (not necessary but nice)
2 sports bras
rain jacket
long sleeve cap 2 shirt
pantyhose for chilly nights!
camera
glasses (sun and reading)
I-Pod and charger
deet spray
after-bite (unnecessary)
comb and hair clip
sunscreen stick
stove and fuel canister that fit inside small pot
lighter
tiny swiss army knife with scissors
first aid-baggy with bandaids, neo, blister pads, moleskin
earplugs

toothbrush and toothpaste
Deodorant-I know, everyone smells. I break it off and put it in a fill canister.
Handiwipes I use them in the evening to wipe off my legs, arms and face so my bag doesn't get gross. And they're good to clean panties
water tablets
vitamins
pain pills
headlamp
1/2 full motel shampoo
bladder and 2 empty 20oz Gatorade bottles
I had a razor, lotion, and laundry soap in my mail drops

Hooch
10-01-2010, 20:48
Same as a guy. Throw in a bra and a few tampons and you're good to go.

Trailbender
10-02-2010, 11:06
I enjoy wearing women's underwear, as well as them being incredibly comfortable. I would recommend carrying a firesteel and learning how to use it. Too many hikers out there nowadays don't have wilderness survival skills. I built a fire in the Smokies in a shelter out of wood I dug out of 2 feet of snow.

Trailbender
10-02-2010, 11:13
In warm months you can wash your underwear and wear it dry if needed.

This can give you crotch rot, actually. Wearing wet panties constantly can lead to problems. I have a dry pair to change into in camp, and I use baby powder also. If it is dark(I sunburn easily) and warm enough, my panties are my campwear. I have "rain shorts" I made from rain pants which double as camp pants as well, in case there are people around.

allwen
10-07-2010, 01:52
Hi I.Poo, I posted my list under packweight on the new posts section and oh boy, I am more confused than ever!!! I have been hiking for many, many years, it is actually part of my job as well! I was told to leave so much stuff out like even my thermals for night time even though I don't carry a spare change of outer clothing!!!! I have started hiking in a kilt and I love it, I do wear skins under it, but I used to wear skins under my shorts anyway. Just gives the private bits more air!!!! I only take two spare pair of undies and one spare bra. I rinse them out along the way. Whatever you do, remember that women (particularly as you get past 50) sleep far colder than their male counterparts do!

ADK Hiker
10-10-2010, 21:55
I've been going on long distance hikes for the past 7 years. I would ditch a handheld flashlight and get a headlamp. You can get one that takes AA or AAA batteries that is really light. If you have to set up your camp at night, you'll need two hands and it will be difficult to work when holding a flashlight.

Country Roads
10-13-2010, 19:54
Just remember to stay flexible. If you are not using something nearly every day, ditch it at the next stop. I try to limit the weight of my clothes to 3 pounds including rain stuff. Difficult but doable. I use 3 prs of socks, 3 undies (one pr I am wearing, 1 pair that I am gonna wear and a spare pair and I use either nylon or microfiber cause they dry fast). LS shirt, SS shirt; 2 pr convertable shorts but only 1 pair of the legs, since they will work on both pr of short, fleece gloves, knit hat, Micropor rain jacket, Golite whim pants, 2 bandanas, down jacket, Hmm I think this is all and it comes in just under 3 pounds & a lot of comes from Walmart during their end of season sales. For really cold weather, I might toss in a vest (to hike in because the down is for camp use and to sleep in) and a pr of lightweight or mid-weight long johns. I sleep in the extra shorts with the legs on. As the weather warms, I can usually go around 2 to 2 1/2 pounds. Be careful of "sneaky" weight: heavy water bottles, heavy stuff sacks, etc.

I guess I don't really mind being skanky! I do not take an extra bra. If you are well endowed, you might want an extra bra but I don't mind going without if mine is wet.

As I said first, don't be afraid to send something you are not using home. You will probably end your hike with very different stuff than you started with. (except a shelter; it amazes me how many people ditch their shelter and rely on the trail shelters; as a woman, this would certainly limit my options just in case the shelter had a someone in it that set off my personal alarm. I would at least carry a piece of plastic to make a shelter if needed). And most importantly, enjoy yourself every day; the time will be over sooner than you think; Focus on enjoying every day and not on doing the miles.

Trailweaver
10-14-2010, 02:53
I would suggest that you rethink wearing t-shirts. They are cotton, and once wet, will stay wet for a long time. I started wearing shirts that are "quick dry" when I started kayaking, and it has been so much more comfortable. Any kind of synthetic fabric will dry faster than a cotton t-shirt, and you will find that the wicking of the sweat to cool on hot days makes a lot of difference.

No solar charger. . . another poster said it right. . . you are going to be walking in a green tunnel. Nothing is going to solar charge unless you are taking a long lunch break on one of the overlooks.

No snake bite kit. If you are bitten, hike out - slowly, so as not to raise your heart rate too much - and get to a hospital. If you are stung, take Benedryl, and if necessary hike out to medical care for that.

Take one flashlight, preferably a headlamp. Take extra batteries for that.

No deodorant. Lord knows you're going to smell like everyone else out there, and no one uses deodorant.

You said "shoes" and "crocs" - surely you don't mean two pairs of shoes? Besides your boots, you mean? I only wear my boots. If you do take another pair of shoes, make it your lightest weight pair and for crossing creeks.

Take a regular toothbrush. Your teeth will thank us all later. Take travel toothpaste and get resupply tubes when in town.

A lot of what you're taking amounts to "duplicates" - ie: lighter and matches. I would make a choice on some of that and eliminate the duplicity. I've found that the waterproof matches don't always strike. The lighter pretty much does.

The baby wipes and the handsanitizer. . . pick one or use neither and just take the Bonner's soap and use it with a bandana. I take several bandanas - use one for filtering water if necessary, one for tying around my forehead for sweat, one for washing dishes, one for washing me. These are in different colors so I can tell which is which.

You will have a hundred opinions on this in no time. Best to take several "shake down" hikes before you actually leave, and try several different things. See what works for you. Just remember that you have to actually CARRY everything you put in your pack, and everything over 20 lbs. is heavier by the mile. If you can put stuff in a bounce box, do that some.

StormBird
10-19-2010, 23:33
The people that took your list and whittled it down said everything I would. If you run with this revised list, you'll be waaaaay ahead of other thru-hikers. Heed the advise of seasoned pros. Wish I had. But then again, I guess it's all part of a thru.

Cheers!