PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Bronners soap?

SwingLow
06-01-2010, 20:38
I heard this is good to take camping and I have tried to dilute some into a small bottle but I am not sure if it really works well or not or if I need to add more. It says to dilute 2 squirts with 2 gallons of water. I put 4 drops in a 2 ounce bottle of water.

Rocket Jones
06-01-2010, 20:46
Instead of pre-diluting, put the full-strength soap into the bottle (1/2 ounce is enough to last quite a while). Then add to water on the trail as needed.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2010, 21:17
that stuff is crap. not needed on the AT

JAK
06-01-2010, 21:21
I don't use soap at all in the wild.
I have experimented with a little wood ash.

Appalachian Tater
06-01-2010, 21:27
The instructions to dilute 1/2 oz or 2 squirts with two gallons is specific to the tingly towel massage paragraph. That is VERY dilute, too dilute for most uses, 1 part soap to 512 parts water. You are basically scenting the water with that dilution.

Elsewhere on the bottle (if you can force yourself to read it all) it says to use it full strength for actually washing your body. I normally dilute it in about five parts water in a pump bottle for hand washing and use in the shower or for dishes.

It also seems to be less viscous than it used to be years ago and I think they may already be diluting it more though it may be from using different oil in the formula, not sure which.

Here are the directions from the FAQ on the Dr. Bronner's website:

"How should I use the liquid soap?

For everyday body-washing: Get wet and pour several drops of soap full-strength onto hands-washcloth-loofah. Lather up, scrub down, rinse off, and tingle fresh and clean.

For other uses: Dilute from one part soap into 40 parts water for light cleaning, to cutting it in half or using it full strength for heavy-duty grease-cutting jobs.

For laundry: Use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on the hardness of your water. Adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better."

Lone Wolf
06-01-2010, 21:30
I don't use soap at all in the wild.
I have experimented with a little wood ash.
yeah, absolutely no soaps are needed on the trail

rickb
06-01-2010, 21:36
How do you wash your hair?

Never mind. You just come into town and stay at a motel every three days.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2010, 21:38
How do you wash your hair?

Never mind. You just come into town and stay at a motel every three days.

you talkin' to me? you're assumin' mr. cyberhiker

rickb
06-01-2010, 21:40
you talkin' to me? you're assumin' mr. cyberhiker

Substitute "does one" and "one" if you like.

Blissful
06-01-2010, 21:46
I used my Bronners only twice in '07, at shelters with a shower (Partnership and 501). I don't plan to take any this time. Towns are frequent enough.

Spokes
06-01-2010, 22:12
that stuff is crap. not needed on the AT

Are you the newly appointed soap mayor?

Panzer1
06-01-2010, 22:15
yeah, absolutely no soaps are needed on the trail

That's why some town people hate thru hikers. They stink and town people don't understand why.

Panzer
ps: use soap and often :)

Spokes
06-01-2010, 22:21
That's why some town people hate thru hikers. They stink and town people don't understand why.

Panzer
ps: use soap and often :)

being comfortable with your funk is a big thing.

Bama Jack & Sadie
06-01-2010, 22:27
A travel pack of baby wipes for a de-funkifying wipe down daily. Carry it out or allow it to dry and us it as a fire starter. No impact, no BO. At least a lot less BO.

JAK
06-01-2010, 22:29
Technically speaking, water is itself a detergent.
Also, body oils mixed with a little wood ash and water will form a surficant.
Soap isn't really neccessary for personal hygiene.

It is a trade-off between convenience and ecology, not hygiene.
So I recommend no soap, though a little alcohol is always handy sometimes.