PDA

View Full Version : Guide books for PCT/CDT?

Mr. Clean
10-30-2004, 19:26
I'm not sure I'll ever hike either of these trails, but I was wondering if there are guide books for them. They would make some nice winter reading. :rolleyes:

chris
10-30-2004, 20:29
There are 3 PCT guides: California v1 (Mexico to Tuoulumne), v2 (Tuolumne to Oregon), and Oregon-Washington. Related books include the PCT townguide, data book, and Yogi's PCT handbook. On the CDT side, the standard ones for hikers are by Jim Wolf (CDTS). The ones by the CDTA are reportedly rather inaccurate and unhelpful, but are supposed to have a lot of pretty pictures.

The Hog
10-31-2004, 07:05
I want to back up what Chris said about the CDT guidebooks. Jim Wolf's guidebooks are detailed and excellent and reasonably lightweight, and he regularly publishes updates. I would not venture out on the CDT without them.

The CDTA series, on the other hand, are full of nice color photos and do have some useful features, like overviews and profiles of each trail section and good info on trail access points, but unfortunately they are lacking in trail detail. They are also oriented for the south to north hiker. I use them for motivation, but would never carry them on the trail (they're heavy!). My approach has been to xerox appropriate pages from both guidebook series and carry only the ones that are needed for each section.

The CDT is a very primitive (not yet complete) and sparsely used trail, which is great in some ways and not so great in others. Even with map, compass, GPS, 2 guidebooks and top level navigational skills, you are almost guaranteed to get lost from time to time. That is part of the beauty and the curse of the CDT.

tarbubble
10-31-2004, 11:57
I'm not sure I'll ever hike either of these trails, but I was wondering if there are guide books for them. They would make some nice winter reading. :rolleyes:
http://nt1.adventuresports.com/pub/wildernesspress/WPmain.asp?Option=List&List=Category&Category=pac

Wildreness Press publishes most of the PCT guide books.

Mr. Clean
11-01-2004, 09:09
I'll send for one or two from Wilderness Press and have a look-see. Who knows, maybe I will try some hiking out there.

chris
11-01-2004, 11:02
Yogi's PCT handbook makes reasonable reading. You can get it at

www.pcthandbook.com

It is not a guidebook (mostly, except for the water info). It contains information from previous hikers that helps with planning and on-trail life. I've been told by some 2004 hikers that some of the information I put in from my 2003 hike is no longer valid! So, read things with a grain of salt.

Note that Yogi is still getting beaten up by the CDT, but she should be back sometime soon.

tarbubble
11-01-2004, 12:27
I'll send for one or two from Wilderness Press and have a look-see. Who knows, maybe I will try some hiking out there.
the CA books are newer and revised. the WA/OR book is in the revision process, so you might want to wait until the next edition comes out - hopefully next spring.

yeah, i forgot Yogi's book. i don't have it yet, as i understand it's more of a planning and preparation tool than a guide of the trail itself, and i won't be thru-ing the PCT for many years yet.

Peter Mossberg
11-01-2004, 14:54
One other poster put a link to Fsolution's White Power website that had Fsolution's real name and mailing address (with swastikas and all). I also posted his real name and address in a few places to try to drive him away.

I suspect it had something to do with this "outing"

Peter Mossberg
11-01-2004, 16:33
Oops, wrong thread

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2004, 18:24
At the recently held Gathering in West Virginia, Mags led a discussion group for folks who were actively planning a PCT Hike. Mags gave a out a handout with some very useful information on it, including a "suggested reading" list.

Mags, if you seee this post, would you please consider sending a copy of your handout to this location? Also, I'm told that this information is found on Mag's own website; I'm afraid I don't have the address, but hopefully, someone out there does, and will send it along here.

Incodentally, of the dozens of programs/lectures I've attended at the Gathering over the past ten years, Mags' presentation was probably the best.

chris
11-01-2004, 19:50
At the recently held Gathering in West Virginia, Mags led a discussion group for folks who were actively planning a PCT Hike. Mags gave a out a handout with some very useful information on it, including a "suggested reading" list.

Mags, if you seee this post, would you please consider sending a copy of your handout to this location? Also, I'm told that this information is found on Mag's own website; I'm afraid I don't have the address, but hopefully, someone out there does, and will send it along here.

Incodentally, of the dozens of programs/lectures I've attended at the Gathering over the past ten years, Mags' presentation was probably the best.

His site is:

www.magnanti.com

I read his PCT journal two times, I think, in the year before I hiked the PCT. Good photos, good text. I was hoping Mags would hike the CDT last year so that I could read his journal to get excited about hiking it myself.

Mags
11-01-2004, 19:55
Many thanks for the kind words all.

The handout can be accessed at:

http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/pct_ws.htm

My ramblings (and photos) can be found at
http://www.magnanti.com/mags_pct.htm

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2004, 19:55
Thanks, Chris, you beat me to it by two minutes:

The specific information I was talking about can be found at http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/pct_ws.htm

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2004, 19:57
Wow, you never know who's gonna be on-line here.....by the time you get around to sending something along, it's already been taken care of thirty seconds beforehand!

Thanks again, Mags.

Mr. Clean
11-02-2004, 07:33
Can't wait to look into this further. I'll have to sit down while I'm at work and check out some of these sites.

Pencil Pusher
11-02-2004, 17:05
Once you've visited those sites and know which books you want, head on over to Amazon.com and compare prices. I bought the first two books for the PCT, saving about six dollars each and got free shipping.

Mr. Clean
11-05-2004, 23:33
I got the Northern CA book and looked at it tonight at work; pretty interesting. I'll check out the web sites tomorrow. I've been reading Yogi's CDT journal, also. Man, that trail sounds like a trip! :banana

chris
11-06-2004, 12:42
I got the Northern CA book and looked at it tonight at work; pretty interesting. I'll check out the web sites tomorrow. I've been reading Yogi's CDT journal, also. Man, that trail sounds like a trip! :banana

If you are looking for more to read, the best journal (maybe the best travel narrative) that I have ever read is Jonathan Ley's 2001 CDT trek. It is long and you can find it at:

http://www.phlumpf.com

The Solemates
11-07-2004, 17:18
Chris, I couldnt get the link to work for the CDT journal. Whats up?

Spirit Walker
11-07-2004, 22:50
Try it without the www http://phlumf.com

I agree - I think Jonathan's is one of the best of the CDT journals - he had fun out there, and explored a lot of country. He brings the experience to life and makes you want to go out there to see it for yourself. He also has some really good photos imbedded in the text. Of this year's hikers I think Goof is the most fun - again, he is enjoying himself, which makes it a pleasure to read.

The Solemates
11-08-2004, 10:06
Got it. Thanks.

chris
11-08-2004, 10:56
The problem was that I didn't spell it right:

http://www.phlumf.com/

squirrel bait
11-08-2004, 10:57
Wow, what a great read. Thanks everyone for this.